• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Ha ha. and wha...? What about James Bond and Steve McQueen?

I have two shawl collar sweaters, a bulky cardigan and a pull over. Love them to death.

I'll admit that I haven't tried one on, and the pullover might be do-able. I just can't see this being the next style trend because only a small percentage of men will be able to pull off that look (which includes studly movie stars with custom cut shawls.)

Look at the models photo in the link below, he is trying to make the look youthfull with the disheveled button down and v-neck shirt with officer chino's, but to me it still looks old mannish.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8608/18608.jsp

But hey I've been wrong before, I'll have to see next time I go into a retail store.

erbs

Reaction score
That nylon racer is pretty killer- I might kop if it makes it to sale. The rest is pretty average. I wish they would make the blackwatch raincoat again.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
In the last catalogue that was mailed out they have one of the crewcut kids wearing a shawl collar cardigan and he looks like the mini-old man version of Benjamin Button. I think the only way to make it not look old mannish is if it's a thin knit and to wear it extremely slim.

I think a slim knit is fantastic for this type of styling and they're out there, just not at J.Crew. I disagree with looking old man-ish. I mean if you style it with an oversized knit that poofs out all over the place and wear them with dad jeans and bobo's, then yes you will like an old man. Otherwise, you can make it a good look either with a button down or t-shirt. Knits and cardigan's have the old man stigma so it's got that working against it.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
I'll I just can't see this being the next style trend because only a small percentage of men will be able to pull off that look (which includes studly movie stars with custom cut shawls.)

I guess it might help that I am an old man.

But seriously, try it. My cotton shawl cardi is extremely comfortable, great for cold winter nights, or for pulling on over a tee to run down to starbucks. Works with jeans and trousers.

Looking at some of the new stuff online, I think the Mariner's sweater looks interesting. Not going to cop for the 198 price tag, though.

I could definitely use another flannel or two.

And I would have no problem having every one of those tartans in my closet!

I'm feeling an instore visit coming up shortly.

Morgan

Reaction score
Old mannish? Maybe ... but the motherfucker looks cozy as hell. Like the water is boiling and he is about to brew the **** out of his morning coffee before settling in with the Sunday Times and browsing the **** out of the Week in Review.

Hard.

Core.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Also, I just noticed the new October men's catalog is online (link is below.) This time the models are going from depressing, unfinished drywall to artsy, colorful and bright settings. The main catalog is also up, just look at the bottom of J Crew's site.

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/catalog...471673&index=1

More looks can be seen here, including an old man wearing the racer jacket. You have to click on each artists name to see their styles.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/openstudio.jsp

You can see more here by clicking "Shop the looks."

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Men.jsp

All these looks confirm the woodsman and gunmetal are definite kops. And the Belstaff is giving me throbbing boners.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I think a slim knit is fantastic for this type of styling and they're out there, just not at J.Crew. I disagree with looking old man-ish. I mean if you style it with an oversized knit that poofs out all over the place and wear them with dad jeans and bobo's, then yes you will like an old man. Otherwise, you can make it a good look either with a button down or t-shirt. Knits and cardigan's have the old man stigma so it's got that working against it.

Very well said.

Originally Posted by Morgan
Old mannish? Maybe ... but the motherfucker looks cozy as hell. Like the water is boiling and he is about to brew the **** out of his morning coffee before settling in with the Sunday Times and browsing the **** out of the Week in Review.

Hard.

Core.

Amen brother!

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan

Hard.

Core.

LMAO. Qoute. of. the. Year.

Thank You Morgan.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Catalog story line? September models were strung out on their junk habits. October shows them happy and at peace with God after completing rehab.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
I guess it might help that I am an old man.

But seriously, try it. My cotton shawl cardi is extremely comfortable, great for cold winter nights, or for pulling on over a tee to run down to starbucks. Works with jeans and trousers.

I do have stuff I just wear around the house for comfort that I don't want seen in public. This could be one of them because all the models do look cozy as ****. The only thing missing is a cup of hot chocolate in their hand.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Catalog story line? September models were strung out on their junk habits. October shows them happy and at peace with God after completing rehab.

LOL, they really threw me off. It looks like something for spring. I guess next month we go back to the warm, rustic cabins.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeh, the catalog does have a weird vibe for October. Not very autumnal. Aside from a few old men in it.

mdla

Reaction score
Looks like most of the October catalog models are NYC-based artists... impressed that it features Vito Acconci and Glenn Ligon.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the idea of using these artists as the models, even though it's a bit pretentious. And even though they're not as pretty.

So maybe the storyline is J. Crew had to send away its models to rehab, and had to call in these guys to fill in?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd been thinking of picking up the messenger bag this weekend but after seeing the new flannels and tartans online, I'm thinking I'l spend the money on some shirts instead. I also need another henley or two, and maybe another thin cardigan, esp in a brown or green.

And it would be nice to walk in and find some things marked down, like the cord pants or garment-dyed jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads