1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Lendo

Lendo Senior member

I'm not skinny by any stretch. I'm 5' 5 1/2" or so and 150lbs on a good day and I've got somewhat broad shoulders. I don't go for the skin tight look w/ j. crew stuff, as it's impossible. I just happen to fall in the unfortunate area between small & extra small depending on the cut. The corduroy workwear jacket in small was actually a bit tight in the chest, and the medium was way too big. Also, being a bit on the shorter side, just about everything they sell is too long on me. The new pinpoint oxfords for example are very long, but the fact that the buttons are so far down make it hard for me to have the shirt shortened by a tailor. I used to be able to wear the xs in their shirts, but nowadays they are a bit too tight in the chest for me. I am in pretty good shape, when time provides i train bjj & crossfit 3-5 days a week.

Here's just a quick comparison shot to visualize what i'm talking about:
    [​IMG]
    that's the chambray in small. it's still just a bit roomier than i'd like, but i'm not really willing to spend another $100 to see if xs will fit.

[​IMG]
    "favorite shirt" in small, fits pretty well but still maybe a little on the long side. the sleeves are definitely too baggy.

[​IMG]
    that's an xs ocdb i've had for about 3-4 years. the fit on it is great. sadly, that's no longer the case with their shirts.

and i can't even think about buttoning the neck on any shirts i own from them unless i want to walk around all day lightheaded from restricted blood flow to my brain.

2. Robert

Robert Senior member

I can see how J. Crew sizes might be an issue for someone your height. And 150 is not exactly big either.

3. Barrylicious

Barrylicious Senior member

4. Lendo

Lendo Senior member

Maybe the sizing issues are just for the smaller sizes, judging by the responses of some of the med/l/xl wearers on the board. Being a bit shorter definitely makes it harder as far as shirts and the like go, pants can always be hemmed, but it's definitely a different story w/ shirts and outerwear.

5. Robert

Robert Senior member

Anybody been in the store yet this week? Any new roll outs?

6. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

7. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are great, especially the first two, and mostly the second.

The chambray is a big shirt in any size. My XL chambray doesn't fit like my xl favorite shirts. The pit to pit measurements are the same (25), but there's something else going on with chambray to make it overall bigger.

Of the three, I like the 2nd most, and not just because I like the shirt. The shoulders look snugger, in fact, the whole thing has a slimmer profile. There's obviously a difference between that small and OCBD XS. But who cares since the favorite small seems to work better than the OCBD xs.

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

I agree about the chambray. I wear Large and it's a bit bigger than my Secret Washes in Large. I think the workwear designs tend to be a bit bigger, but I also think that's intentional. It's supposed to be vintage or something.

Anyway. So nobody has been in the store this week? Just curious if any new stuff is getting put out.

9. stannyboy

stannyboy Member

I agree about the chambray. I wear Large and it's a bit bigger than my Secret Washes in Large. I think the workwear designs tend to be a bit bigger, but I also think that's intentional. It's supposed to be vintage or something. Anyway. So nobody has been in the store this week? Just curious if any new stuff is getting put out.
    I was in yesterday, noticed some new things, but hadn't been there in a few weeks. Saw a great corduroy sportcoat with thick corduroy and a really nice fit. It was like a dark green to my eyes, the website also shows a maroon...a little steep at $158 though... I also realized that maybe M shirts fit better than L, hopefully it won't shrink much!

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

May stop by tonight for a quick look-see, then return Saturday for some loitering and pondering.

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

Realized I "need" another white shirt so may have to grab the workshirt in white if it's marked down.

12. stannyboy

stannyboy Member

Realized I "need" another white shirt so may have to grab the workshirt in white if it's marked down.

which shirt is that?

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

14. synovoid

synovoid Senior member

15. Robert

Robert Senior member

Get them both. Tho I give the edge to the utility just cuz it has more details of interest.

16. chiamdream

chiamdream Senior member

17. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

Here's just a quick comparison shot to visualize what i'm talking about:

[​IMG]

Nice pics and dog. I think the 3rd shirt does fit best overall, the sleeves are baggier on the first two - something I'm going to have to pay attention to when buying their shirts. I pretty much decided on sizing down to a large so I haven't noticed poofy sleeves.

Same thing with the length, the XL's are just too long for untucked wear and I can't even get a clean tuck with an XL because it's too wide so I'm fighting all that extra material. If I want to tuck in a large there's barely enough length to keep it inside the pants so large untucked is the only way I can go with these. Seems like alot of people here have issues with the shirt sizing, I think J Crew should take a good look at this.

Also just a tip - J Crew models don't look at the camera, you are supposed to look off into space. You had the coffee cup and rustic outdoor thing going so we'll let it slide this time. [​IMG]

By the way, what were the sand colored shoes in the 2nd pic?

18. Lendo

Lendo Senior member

hahahaha. i'll work on my j. crew model thing. i have some books lying around i can pretend to read as well.
    [​IMG]

that's the stupid thing about their sizing, the rest of the ocbd fits great. their sleeves always seem baggy to me though. as has been said many times, it doesn't seem like you can pull of a really good "slim" fit with their clothes otr.

just general info on the rest of the stuff in the pics for those who may be interested:
    1st
    jeans: sufu 660 contest jeans
    shoes: yuketen cap-toe oxfords

2nd
    jeans: apc rescue
    shoes: red wing wabasha chukkas

3rd
    jeans: rrl slim bootcut
    shoes: yuketen suede bucks

*both pair of yuketens from ebay [​IMG]

19. synovoid

synovoid Senior member

Get them both. Tho I give the edge to the utility just cuz it has more details of interest.

the utility is also cheaper. have these chambrays been marked down?

20. synovoid

synovoid Senior member

The former, for sure - really don't like the color of the other one.

never had a chance to see the single pocket one in store, damn it.