• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew dress shirts??

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
In college we treated J.Crew as a cleaner, more conservative Abercrombie, most known for golf shirts and flip flops, but I recently walked into a store and saw some very nice looking dress shirts for around $65 a piece. The collars looked great, the patterns were pleasantly varied. Most were made in Hong Kong, which deterred me from purchasing, but you never know with these things. Any experiences?

I know for $60 you can buy lower-grade "made in italy" Ferre shirts (which are still nice). Any other options for decent shirts in that price range, preferably European-made?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've held up ok for me. I think they're single-needle stitched, but I'm not sure. Plastic buttons. Cut a little too fully. They don't offer any patterned shirts with spread collars yet, so I hope they change that soon. The only shirt I tried on with a spread collar was a plain white poplin or something like that (which looked terrible so I didn't buy it).

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Cafe Coton shirts. Single needle, nice spread collar and MOPs. During sales they are about $65. Fit is kinda blousy however.

mtf

Reaction score
I really like them. They're usually double-ply 100s cotton that looks really good; I think the fabric looks as rich as most $120-200 shirts. At $60 they're a good deal. Keep your eye on the j.crew site at the end of season clearance and you'll find them for $19-29 which is an absolute steal. The clearance site changes often at the very end of the season so the great deals only last for an hour or two. The j.crew outlet store occasionally has some good deals but alot of them are specially made for the outlets or 80s cotton. Unfortunately they're not an atheletic cut but they're some of the least blousy RTW shirts.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's right, they always have lots of shirts for $20 at their end of (every) season sales. You should sign up for their email updates. Also, if there's a shirt that they sold out of during a sale, you can call them and they will try to find one in a store for you.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in J.crew the other day.
Not bad for $60.
The 100/2 are a little light but passable.
Needle work looked fine.
$30 sale shirts were a very good deal.

Could not tell you about the fit since I did not bother to try one on.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I think they generally look nice and are decently made, but I can't stand that they are in S, M, L sizes as opposed to more precise sizing....

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
What would be a non-RTW shirt? Tailored after you buy it?

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their linen? I am thinking about buying just their plain white, but I haven't touched it yet- any thoughts?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a linen shirt from J Crew a couple years ago. It was alright, but I didn't know any better at the time. Their fabrics, especially, have improved in the last few years, so I'd assume their new stuff is nice. That said, I rarely like linen shirts, they're generally cut so big - I understand it's functional, I just don't like it.

I think they generally look nice and are decently made, but I can't stand that they are in S, M, L sizes as opposed to more precise sizing....
That's the primary reason I've never bought dress clothes from there. Recently they've started numerical sizing their jackets/suits, maybe the shirts will follow.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Quote:
That's the primary reason I've never bought dress clothes from there. Recently they've started numerical sizing their jackets/suits, maybe the shirts will follow.
J. Crew offered shirts in numerical sizing once upon a time. Â I have a blue glen plaid shirt in 16.5" x 36" that I bought there in early 1996. At least in addition to S-XL, some of their shirts come in L-tall and XL-tall. Â I recently ordered a L-tall winter coat from J. Crew that was on sale for only $59.99.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Is athletic cut necessarily for athletic body types? I am thin but not muscular--should I go with regular or athletic?

And by blousy do you guys mean loose in the shoulders/chest or down at the bottom (where you tuck it in)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads