• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Chinos Question

itsmejson

Reaction score
for those of you with j crew chinos - I recently went
to try on a few pairs and really like the urban slims.

Out of their chino options would you consider them
to be more casual as opposed to dressier?
- i'm looking to for a pair of casual chino as well
as chino's that could fit a business casual setting.
- any recommendations?

andrewlucas

Reaction score
J. Crew chinos are definitely more casual, especially the urban slim fit which is too skinny for my build (I returned the pair I ordered almost immediately). Their Bowery line is a little more business-casual as you put it but I think you'd be better off going a different brand altogether.

Do a quick search around the forums, as I get most of my expertise from these fine gentlemen anyway, but here are my suggestions:

Incotex - they can be found on ebay for good prices in nice slim (but not skinny) fits.
Bill's Khakis - I love the pair I got from Sierra Trading Post but make sure you have a good tailor as even the the "trim fit" are generous in their proportions.
Ralph Lauren - I have no experience with them personally but I hear good things about the "Preston" although they have the same sizing issues as Bills'.

That should get you started on the actually-affordable end but there's a lot of knowledge on this subject already out there on this forum.

itsmejson

Reaction score
J. Crew chinos are definitely more casual, especially the urban slim fit which is too skinny for my build (I returned the pair I ordered almost immediately). Their Bowery line is a little more business-casual as you put it but I think you'd be better off going a different brand altogether.
Do a quick search around the forums, as I get most of my expertise from these fine gentlemen anyway, but here are my suggestions:
Incotex - they can be found on ebay for good prices in nice slim (but not skinny) fits.
Bill's Khakis - I love the pair I got from Sierra Trading Post but make sure you have a good tailor as even the the "trim fit" are generous in their proportions.
Ralph Lauren - I have no experience with them personally but I hear good things about the "Preston" although they have the same sizing issues as Bills'.
That should get you started on the actually-affordable end but there's a lot of knowledge on this subject already out there on this forum.

thanks andrew for the reply.

i just picked up 2 pairs of urban slims size 32/30 and looking for feedback on the fit.
- does anyone know how much these chinos shrink as far as length goes?
- should i have picked up 32/32 instead?
- do these chinos work for me?

Last edited:

viator

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think they work for you. They look way too tight in the seat. Maybe try sizing up.

Have you tried BB Milano?

itsmejson

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think they work for you. They look way too tight in the seat. Maybe try sizing up.
thx viator for the reply.
- no not yet. I was planning to go there this weekend to try them out.

do you think i would be better with more of a classic fit, where the leg isn't so tapered?

also should i be a 32" or 30" inseam?

Last edited:

andrewlucas

Reaction score

thx viator for the reply.
 - no not yet.  I was planning to go there this weekend to try them out.

do you think i would be better with more of a classic fit, where the leg isn't so tapered?

also should i be a 32" or 30" inseam?

I second the BB Milano recommendation. I have a pair of Milano cords and the fit is nice and tapered.

As for the fit, the inseam is perfect. I prefer only a slight break at the hem which you've accomplished. I don't think the problem is that they're too tight, J Crew chinos actually have a reputation for being too large in the seat. It's extra fabric causing bunching, as opposed to pulling from being too tight. The Bowery pants from J. Crew I mentioned don't have this problem in my experience, and they make it in classic and urban slim fits. The urban slim doesn't look bad on you, but I think the classic would probably look better.

Last edited:

itsmejson

Reaction score
I second the BB Milano recommendation. I have a pair of Milano cords and the fit is nice and tapered.
As for the fit, the inseam is perfect. I prefer only a slight break at the hem which you've accomplished. I don't think the problem is that they're too tight, J Crew chinos actually have a reputation for being too large in the seat. It's extra fabric causing bunching, as opposed to pulling from being too tight. The Bowery pants from J. Crew I mentioned don't have this problem in my experience, and they make it in classic and urban slim fits. The urban slim doesn't look bad on you, but I think the classic would probably look better.
@andrew thanks for your input. i ended up going to jcrew today and picked up a pair
of classic fit chinos.

between the urban slim & classic, which do you think works better for me?

urban slims:

classic fit:

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't think those chinos are a good fit for you.

Go: http://putthison.com/tagged/Uniqlo and search for post: "A Complete Guide to Getting Chinos This Summer"
It has some really good suggestions to find chinos. Try out a different brand and see if it fits because Jcrew doesn't seem to be for you.

If you must though, keep the classic.

andrewlucas

Reaction score
I think the classic fit is definitely an improvement. As @Essential mentioned it seems J. Crew is not the ideal fit for you, but when starting a new wardrobe you can't expect every piece to be perfect right away. I started out with a couple of J Crew chinos also as they are inexpensive and easy to get your hands on and over the last couple of years have added pieces more flattering to my body-type as I learned what worked and what didn't. I'd keep one pair, the classic fit, and wear it with confidence.

This is the PTO post that @Essential was referring to:
http://putthison.com/post/7575598304/a-complete-guide-to-getting-chinos-this-summer

BTW if you're not already reading/watching Put This On then you're truly missing out on some sartorial wisdom.

I've also owned Uniqlo chinos and a benefit to them is that like the J. Crew they're cheap. That being said they are the most casual type you can own because they are typically a thicker twill in the military style.

Dib

Reaction score

I think the classic fit is definitely an improvement. As @Essential mentioned it seems J. Crew is not the ideal fit for you, but when starting a new wardrobe you can't expect every piece to be perfect right away. I started out with a couple of J Crew chinos also as they are inexpensive and easy to get your hands on and over the last couple of years have added pieces more flattering to my body-type as I learned what worked and what didn't. I'd keep one pair, the classic fit, and wear it with confidence.
This is the PTO post that @Essential was referring to:
http://putthison.com/post/7575598304/a-complete-guide-to-getting-chinos-this-summer
BTW if you're not already reading/watching Put This On then you're truly missing out on some sartorial wisdom.
I've also owned Uniqlo chinos and a benefit to them is that like the J. Crew they're cheap. That being said they are the most casual type you can own because they are typically a thicker twill in the military style.

With all due respect, I think this is bad advice, particularly the parts highlighted in bold.

When building a new wardrobe, surely the emphasis should be on buying items that fit you correctly - what is the benefit in continuing to buy things that don't fit correctly (other than the time saved in not looking for another brand)? It is not as though there are a shortage of other brands in the market offering chinos that the OP can try instead.

OP - whilst the classic fit does seem to fit slightly better, they still have the same problem as the urban slims - excessive pulling and creasing at the base of the seat. As Essential pointed out, it seems the J Crew cut isn't really suited to you and you should therefore experiment with other brands (e.g. at the higher end of the spectrum both RL and Tommy Hilfiger offer different cuts you can experiment with, likewise at the lower end you have Gap, H&M, Banana Republic etc). The PTO links also has some other useful suggestions.

andrewlucas

Reaction score

With all due respect, I think this is bad advice, particularly the parts highlighted in bold.
When building a new wardrobe, surely the emphasis should be on buying items that fit you correctly - what is the benefit in continuing to buy things that don't fit correctly (other than the time saved in not looking for another brand)? It is not as though there are a shortage of other brands in the market offering chinos that the OP can try instead.
OP - whilst the classic fit does seem to fit slightly better, they still have the same problem as the urban slims - excessive pulling and creasing at the base of the seat. As Essential pointed out, it seems the J Crew cut isn't really suited to you and you should therefore experiment with other brands (e.g. at the higher end of the spectrum both RL and Tommy Hilfiger offer different cuts you can experiment with, likewise at the lower end you have Gap, H&M, Banana Republic etc). The PTO links also has some other useful suggestions.

I get your point. I guess I'm coming from my own experience of not having the luxury of discarding every missed attempt right away. He may very well have that option, in which case he should most definitely go with the garment that fits him the best. I was in no way seriously saying that wearing something with confidence is all you need to look good (although it helps). I just know that it feels good to be on the right track.

But you're right, he posted the pics for critique of the fit so I guess I'm being overly positive at the risk of being unhelpful. He's new with chinos, I'm new to criticism; we're all learning something here! :)

HughJ

Reaction score

I'd be concerned that there's already too much fabric at the lower thigh, and that sizing up may just magnify that issue while solving the other.

between the urban slim & classic, which do you think works better for me?

urban slims:

classic fit:

Jesus man, how did you stand in almost the identical spot and pose for both sets of pictures??? I had to toggle it a few times to prove to myself that it wasn't photoshop at play LOL. Nice job.

I've had good luck with the Lands End Canvas slim refined fit chinos, which are dirt cheap and seemingly always on sale. They also make a straight refined chino, which might suit you better. The return policy is good too. The only downside is the colour selection is limited. Similar quality to the JCrew USF (which I also own).

I haven't had a chance to try the Epaulet chinos yet, but they are certainly another one I'd consider.

mandjo

Reaction score
Chinos are actually casual wear than anything.

itsmejson

Reaction score
thx @dib. I definitely still trying to build a new wardrobe
and with mypersonlity I want to make sure that I get it right
the first time. I have all the receipts from all the recent
jcrew purchases just in case i need to return them lol.

I get your point. I guess I'm coming from my own experience of not having the luxury of discarding every missed attempt right away. He may very well have that option, in which case he should most definitely go with the garment that fits him the best. I was in no way seriously saying that wearing something with confidence is all you need to look good (although it helps). I just know that it feels good to be on the right track.
But you're right, he posted the pics for critique of the fit so I guess I'm being overly positive at the risk of being unhelpful. He's new with chinos, I'm new to criticism; we're all learning something here!
smile.gif
no, i appreciate your input from personal experience.
it gives me more to think about. while waiting for input
i ended up ordering a few different pairs of the jcrew
classic chinos & the factory bedford pants. but knowing
now that the classic fit isn't really flattering I will be taking
them back.

On the flip side i also ordered 4 pairs of the lands end
refined chinos to try.
- once they come in I will update this thread w/ lands end
pictures.
- hoping that they fit better w/ my body.

Jesus man, how did you stand in almost the identical spot and pose for both sets of pictures??? I had to toggle it a few times to prove to myself that it wasn't photoshop at play LOL. Nice job.
I've had good luck with the Lands End Canvas slim refined fit chinos, which are dirt cheap and seemingly always on sale. They also make a straight refined chino, which might suit you better. The return policy is good too. The only downside is the colour selection is limited. Similar quality to the JCrew USF (which I also own).
I haven't had a chance to try the Epaulet chinos yet, but they are certainly another one I'd consider.

lol, I didn't even notice my positioning haha.
- as mentioned above, yesterday I did order 4 pairs
of the refined chinos to try out so we'll see. stay
tuned for pics.

kstyle

Reaction score
id take the denim washed Gap Chinos over the Jcrew selection and im a huge fan of Jcrew....more so because of the price difference...also maybe consider seeing a tailor...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads