• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Chino Suit?

Leverandon

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a fashion noob and wanted to get you guys' opinion on this J. Crew Chino suit:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4959/14959.jsp

I've been considering picking this up before summer. I live in New York and haven't seen a whole lot of suits like this being sported in the city, but I like the look and I have at least one summer outdoor daytime wedding coming up that I think this would be great at. What are your thoughts on chino suits? How about this one from J. Crew in particular?

Thanks!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be a rumpled suit fresh out of the washer.

For a first suit I wouldn't go cotton.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot. I bought something similar from Target for $100 and had it altered. This one looks way better IMO and I wish I had money to buy it because the price isn't too shabby.

For a first suit to wear out and about, I think it's fine. You can wear it as separates much more easily than a traditional wool.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that would be awesome for summer, but yeah like Why said, get something wool.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Its not a first suit. I already own black and charcoal wool suits. It would be a purely summer garment.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
Its not a first suit. I already own black and charcoal wool suits. It would be a purely summer garment.
Try it on then. Let us know how it works.

towen

Reaction score
Looks nice, I'd get it. The weird stitching (?) on the lapels is kind of a turnoff though.

drivel

Reaction score
Hmm... this is what I need for the ky derby this year.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drivel
Hmm... this is what I need for the ky derby this year.
Perfect opportunity for seersucker and you're turning it down?!

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Perfect opportunity for tweed and you're turning it down?!

I dont like tweed in the spring, for the fall races it would be a perfect opportunity for tweed.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I dont like tweed in the spring, for the fall races it would be a perfect opportunity for tweed.

Yeah, had a brain fart. See edit.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon

Black suits are a no-no. Get a Navy suit.

As for a Chino suit, get one at Brooks Brothers. Last season's stock is on sale. You can get a complete cotton chino suit at Brooks Brothers for under $500 and it's much better quality.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut over quality any day. Get the suit. For that price, I think it is very reasonable. Don't forget to get it tailored so you look like the model.

JFKJean

Reaction score
My one knock against the jacket (and J Crew jackets for that matter) is that it's a single back...and I know it's classic Americana but I want that double vented action!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads