J. Crew Chelseas (posted in Streetwear, too)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by truestorytravis, Apr 3, 2006.

1. truestorytravis

truestorytravis Senior member

I thinking about buying a pair of J. Crew chelsea boots, but I want to know what people who own them think of them. I'm looking for info on quality, construction, fit, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

is there any chance these are your size? i think they're pretty cool....

seller says they are an equiv of size 11 US....might be a half size too big for me, altho if i didn't just buy a whole load of new stuff i'd make do with thicker socks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Smith-Crock...QQcmdZViewItem

pretty bad ass, huh?

3. truestorytravis

truestorytravis Senior member

Sorry, no. I have rather small feet (8.5 or 9). Thanks, though.

4. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

Those are interesting... very unique blue elastic. But I have been yearning for some CJ chelseas [​IMG] .

The guys here say a CJ 10 UK is the equivalent of a 10.5 US... so i dunno.

Can't say too much on the Jcrew chelseas, only seen pictures and seem to remember an inelegent toe with rubber soles?

5. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Sorry, no. I have rather small feet (8.5 or 9). Thanks, though.

i've had a couple pairs of j.crew shoes (not boots) and i've been quite unimpressed with them. both were loafers bought for under $20 (new) on eBay, but i don't think i'd even pay that much. re-sold the first pair and the only reason i have the second is for rainy days (rubber-soled).

the reason i bought two pairs is that even though i'm usually an 8.5, j.crew's 8.5 was ridiculously big on me. even their 8 feels larger than usual. make sure you try 'em on in the store before buying (if you buy online).

lastly, let me say that i'm no shoe expert, but that my points of comparison are a couple pairs of allen-edmonds that i have. the leather seems to be of decent quality, but the soles are clunky and don't seem to be glued on very well.

for chelseas, i would look toward tyrwhitt's loake shoes through the 50% off link (www.ctshirts.com/spots). you might find a better value there.

6. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

I have a pair about 5 years old, and they've held up well. Mine have a leather sole, but the newer ones have a rubber sole (yuck).

Very sturdy and they look sturdy (if you're into that look).