• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Amesbury Split Toe Shoes with Saphir Cream

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
On Friday I received my first batch of Saphir shoe cream and wax plus some nice German horsehair brushes from Franco's.

Some of my pics were blurry given the bad lighting so I will add to this thread tomorrow which I have some natural light.

Here are my beloved black Amesburys:

ames1.jpg

I also used the very effective "roll-up" sheepskin polishing mitt from John Lobb to bring out the shine. They sell it at the Lobb store in NYC.

Some thoughts on the Amesbury shoes:
1. Phenomenal construction. These are six years old and are as good as ever.
2. They are literally as comfy as my favorite tennis shoes.
3. I have received several nice compliments from women regarding these shoes.
4. Jason is a bit of a value relative to the level of his work in my opinion.
5. I will have a new brown pair soon and will post pictures. Might have to go to London to pick them up. Darn.
smile.gif

6. If you can afford or barely afford bespoke, then I highly recommend you to go for it. It has proven to be one of my best investments. I will be wearing these shoes 15 years from now.

Some thoughts on Saphir shoe cream...
1. Superb product.
2. Nice honey smell that becomes addictive.
3. More of a dark, rich look than the more reflective Kiwi.
4. Seems a better match for the quality of shoes I have.
5. Got great service by phone from Franco's. I will be buying some more polish this week from this Richmond, VA retailer.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
3. I have received several nice compliments from women regarding these shoes.

I find a female endorsement of a man's sartorial choice to be dubious, at best.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford or barely afford bespoke, then I highly recommend you to go for it. It has proven to be one of my best investments. I will be wearing these shoes 15 years from now.
What's the cost with Jason Amesbury?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I find a female endorsement of a man's sartorial choice to be dubious, at best.
Well it lifts my spirits to hear from women in such a positive way but I already was fairly confident in my choice.

Roger, the cost was about $2.5K as of a few years ago when I paid for two pairs. I am afraid to ask what my next pair will cost with the exhange rates and all. I had a Coke in London a few months ago and it was $6!

We are going for a dark oak, antiqued type finish this time around and I believe Jason has only gotten better.
smile.gif

He originally worked for Lobb and I believe was Head Clicker if I'm not mistaken and knew the Lobbs quite well. He gave me a copy of The Last Shall Be The First which is signed by one of the current Lobb family who was the manager at the time. I will try to photograph it.

Jason claims (and I believe after some checking around) to use slightly better materials & construction than those of St. James's but he is reverential to the store and speaks fondly of his time there. He has some great stories to tell of Japan and its well worth buying him a pint to hear them.

The shoes feel comfortable and light but offer excellent support. I am surprised at durable such a delicate looking bespoke pair can be. But the delicacy is because they are smaller in bulk due to better construction like beveled waists.

It's also fascinating to see a real cordwainer's workshop. The quality of materials and obvious amount of work are impressive. He has some of the elusive grades of Russian reindeer and other quality leathers. What he also does on occasion are the more expensive three piece shoe trees. Mine were designed for travel so I think he used a light beech which have been carefully and artfully hollowed out in places. At the time I was traveling all over Europe and Asia as a consultant.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holy smokes those look brand new. Amazing craftsmanship.

Seems like you've got quite the collection. How long have you been "collecting"?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Seems like you've got quite the collection. How long have you been "collecting"?

Since about 1997 but I dropped off a bit recently as I put some capital into a software venture.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Here are some better photos from today:
ames2.jpg
ames3.jpg
Some details I find nice...
ames4.jpg
ames5.jpg
Bonus Edward Green pictures.
smile.gif
eg1.jpg
eg2.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
P.S. The last pair need a good polishing which I am doing today...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ames4.jpg

Might I suggest that you employ the use of toe taps.
wink.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Tomasso,

Are you going to say anything nice in this thread?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomasso,

Are you going to say anything nice in this thread?

I love the shoes.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads