• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IYO are you ever too young to dress a certain way?

kookydooky

Reaction score
It seems that a lot of the cool attire I like or see around here seems to lean to more people in their mid to late 20's who work high end type of jobs

Im 18 and have always like the look of coats, button down long sleeve shirts, trousers/slacks over jeans and some crappy T-shirt with the brand on the front but don't really know if I would look like a douchebag wearing them. Also I'm still a sneakers wearer and thats all I really feel suits me without seeming like a try hard. (dont get me wrong I love my sneakers as much as the next guy) but I would really love the look of boots and whatnot

Brennan Huff

Reaction score
I'm 20 and I have to dress 'business casual' for work, so that's how I got mixed up here =D

I'm really getting into dressing classy and such, but after hours I still dress like a kid.
The usual v-necks, skinny jeans, and vans slip ons.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

eidolon

Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, the only thing that probably advertises the fact that I'm not an atypical college student are my shoes and my choice in watches, and even then it's only the Park Avenues that are very "businessy." Blazers with jeans and dress shirts are fairly typical, although wearing that I still do tend to stick out. I've gotten some snarky comments, but I'm also kind of a sarcastic asshole so I doubt it is directly related to how I dress and more related to the fact that I trade insults with friends constantly.

There are some styles that are a little extreme at certain ages, yes. I'd never wear a tie to class, and I don't really publicize the fact that I even own any. I try to avoid pairing a blazer with a dark colored dress shirt with stripes/patterns for fear of looking overdressed or like some club kid. I don't wear slacks with coats and dress shirts, I'll only wear them with a sweater or another kind of shirt. The reality is that most people dread confrontation alone, so even if you are overdressed you're unlikely to hear about it from someone unless you're in a group and a bunch of people you know start making fun of you.

Ultimately it comes back to doing whatever makes you feel best, but I personally wouldn't try to start emulating people on The Sartorialist when you're a college student.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forum member Cravate_Noire recently turned 20 and has posted very well tailored classic looks over the past year or so. A search of the pics he has posted reveals a very mature style that looks very good on him but may be considered extreme, given his age, by some. Nonetheless, he demonstrates that even a teen can pull off the look.

kookydooky

Reaction score
How do I find the posts of those users, they arent coming up in my search function

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
How do I find the posts of those users, they arent coming up in my search function
Go to the WAYWN thread and search the thread using his name.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

repressedm

Reaction score
There is definitely an age appropriate way to do American trad. Being a kid doesn't mean having to look a certain way.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short answer. No, dress how you feel. I'm 21, it works for me.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Whoa is that what he wears for everyday outings or is that his special occasion/party attire

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't out-dress your boss.
smile.gif

You wouldn't want to be too much of a stand out and get mowed over by a lawn mower...

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Don't they say that you should dress for the job you want not the one you have?
confused.gif

Yes, but we don't wear a white coat to work and when asked why answer that we want to be Jessica Alba's gynaecologist, do we? Discretion is key. Which is also why we don't wear the RLBL Anthony Notch tuxedo to a 9:45AM calculus II class.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads