• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iwc

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thoughts and opinions on the watch brand? Thinking about the 3714.
3714-001.1.jpg
portchrosil.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharp watch, I dig it.

I've browsed through some of their classic vintage models, which are designed equally as well, but I can't really justify spending a few $k on something strapped to my wrist.

I really haven't come across an IWC model that was garish or in poor taste.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want the Portugese, get the 8 day with blued hands. Now THAT is an impressive watch.

Versace - it's a matter of means and taste obviously. There are many people who can't justify more than $100 on shoes.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a rather classically styled watch with elegance that most large watches lack.

It also has the pedigree of the company, and its high quality movements.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist

Versace - it's a matter of means and taste obviously. There are many people who can't justify more than $100 on shoes.

I can afford the watch, I'd rather spend the money on other things. I have a handful of vintage swiss watches that suit me fine, and were very reasonable.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I can afford the watch, I'd rather spend the money on other things. I have a handful of vintage swiss watches that suit me fine, and were very reasonable.

which means you don't have the money for other things AND the watch. Again, it's a matter of priorities. How much and on what do you spend money for **** you don't really need. I can afford Berluttis and EGs, but I refrain because I have other priorities, that's what I meant. I wasn't saying you're broke.

I think the Portugese I'm refering to is 10k. The dial is incredible, and for me, far more striking than the one pictured above. Saw a couple this weekend, when I went to go check out the Glashutte Original Karee, an incredible timepiece for under $10,000. It might be my next, but I'm also looking at the new Ulysee Nardin Palladium watches which are really beautiful.

As for size, I agree, of the larger watches, it is very well designed. However, don't be dogmatic about size. It's about proportion. My 44m Panerai and even my 45.5 Omega Planet Ocean do not look "big" on me because my wrist is huge and I'm quite big too. Most watches under 42mm look weird on me, which is why I can't wear some of my favourites from JLC, Breguet, or even Cartier. I agree that a lot of size has to do with trend, but really, I think one must consider more than just the diameter. A larger watch definately lends itself to casual wear, and something smaller is better for elegant fare. I like to have several timepieces and be polygamous with them.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
which means you don't have the money for other things AND the watch. Again, it's a matter of priorities. How much and on what do you spend money for **** you don't really need. I can afford Berluttis and EGs, but I refrain because I have other priorities, that's what I meant. I wasn't saying you're broke. I think the one I'm refering to is 10k. Saw a couple this weekend, when I went to go check out the Glashutte Original Karee, an incredible timepiece for under $10,000. It might be my next, but I'm also looking at the new Ulysee Nardin Palladium watches which are really beautiful.
Your opening sentence was a bit presumptuous. Take care of the luxuries, and the necessities will take care of themselves, Dorothy Parker said.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which means you don't have the money for other things AND the watch. Again, it's a matter of priorities. How much and on what do you spend money for **** you don't really need. I can afford Berluttis and EGs, but I refrain because I have other priorities, that's what I meant. I wasn't saying you're broke.

It's not only that, as there are many many millionaires who don't choose to wear expensive clothing or watches. It's a matter of whether or not you are really interested enough in something to be willing to spend money on it. Me? Sure, I enjoy nice watches, but quite frankly I'd rather wear something stylish and well made (like a 20's/30's gold Bulova tank watch I got for a nice deal) but not $10K - as it is something that is more likely to get stolen, lost, or broken than say a $10K painting. Not saying I had the cash-on-hand to get a $10K watch anyway. But yeah I understood what you meant.

I guess a forum pertaining to luxury goods that nobody really needs is a poor place to argue this point.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That's a rather classically styled watch with elegance that most large watches lack.

It also has the pedigree of the company, and its high quality movements.

The company does have some excellent movements,but in this particular watch it is a generic ETA movement.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IWC is one of my favorite brands. I am currently on the hunt for a vintage (late 50s - early 60s) Ingenieur. The Portuguesier is a nice watch, but less than ideal as a daily wearer because of its size and lack of a date. Definitely try before you buy, as it wears larger than its 40.9 mm size due to its thin bezel.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know nothing about watches and am perfectly content to wear a nice (to me) plain Seiko dress watch my dad gave me for my 21st birthday many moons ago. A quick doltish question - what are the two smaller 'internal' circles/faces? The bottom one looks like it might be a second counter, but the watch appears to have a second hand....
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads