• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IWC watch

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been lusting after this watch for some time now. I love the simple elegance of the watch. But then today I found this watch which is identical save for the Roman numerals. Now that I look at it, I think the Roman numerals are pretty neat. Any idea on which is dressier, more classic, etc?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't pretend to be an authority on watches but would always prefer the simpler bars over the (slightly pretentious?) Roman numerals. My dad has had an IWC Schaffhausen watch all his life-at least 50 years old and still runs without repairs. The watch you're looking at is dressy in both versions (flat, thin, no date window, etc.)

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I prefer the roman numeral model, not for the markings but the way the case and the lugs have more rounded edges than the other model.

I'm no expert on watches either, but I'm guessing these models are several years old? Current reference numbers for this style begin with 3533-XXX. These may also be smaller than the current model.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm too dumb to have no numeral markings. I'd rather Arabic, but given the choice I would have to go with the Romans. Honestly, it takes me like 10 seconds to figure out the time on a watch with just the bars, or worse, no markings at all. Not very impressive to the person who asks me the time (or myself).

I don't think there is a difference of classicity (? classicness?) between the two. Whichever you prefer, IMO.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm too dumb to have no numeral markings. I'd rather Arabic, but given the choice I would have to go with the Romans. Honestly, it takes me like 10 seconds to figure out the time on a watch with just the bars, or worse, no markings at all. Not very impressive to the person who asks me the time (or myself).

I don't think there is a difference of classicity (? classicness?) between the two. Whichever you prefer, IMO.
I hear ya there J, but I really don't use watches to tell time. I mean, seriously, I have a clock on the wall at work, a window on the telephone that tells me the time, and a clock in the car to tell me on the way there. Watches are just an excuse to wear man jewelry, at least for me, and I don't do any other jewelry than a simple wedding band and occassionally cufflinks.

gregory

Reaction score
I like the first one better. It is really, as the seller says, conspicuous by its inconspicuousness.

cmp

Reaction score
I've been lusting after this watch for some time now. I love the simple elegance of the watch. But then today I found this watch which is identical save for the Roman numerals. Now that I look at it, I think the Roman numerals are pretty neat. Any idea on which is dressier, more classic, etc?
which is identical save for the Roman numerals
Not quite. The first model has minute "dots" while the Roman numeral version doesn't appear to. I don't like watches without the minute dots. What's the point of paying all that money for a fine movement if you can only tell the time give or take a couple of minutes?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased the former (3533 S/S band) a short while back (Dec 2004), and have 2 comments to add...

1) The Portofino with Roman numerals is an older model (or made for the non-US market)--an iteration that pre-dates the Roman numerals and current numberless models--and is most likely 34mm vs. the most recent 38mm.

2) Both are equally dressy. I prefer the model w/o the Roman numerals primarily due to size.

If you have the opportunity, go for the S/S rice bracelet. It's a bit more expensive, but the bracelet is probably the best thing going for this particular model... I was about to buy a Zenith Elite but found the IWC much more comfortable on my wrist.

pinchi22

Reaction score
I don´t feel very strongly one way or another about Roman numerals. They seem to symbolize elegance and a classic look.

I do feel strongly about IWC, though. I bought another IWC model (Classic Pilot Chronometer) last year after two months of intensive watch research. It´s a joy to see the watch´s precision, both in the casework and accuracy, and the quality with which its made.

It reminds me of the bespoke values of good shoes. But, don´t expect lots of comments from others to "validate" your choice and your ego, as (IMHO) a fine watch appeals mostly to a few afficionados. You´ll notice that watch idiot savants tend to appreciate good mechanics (TimeZone has an entire car section), but little about clothing.

Sure, the watch cost (albeit second hand) as much as about 3 pairs of EGs, but I´ll probably be wearing it the day I die. The daily cost is probably much less than what I spend on a cup of expresso.

Steven

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I purchased the former (3533 S/S band) a short while back (Dec 2004), and have 2 comments to add...

1) The Portofino with Roman numerals is an older model (or made for the non-US market)--an iteration that pre-dates the Roman numerals and current numberless models--and is most likely 34mm vs. the most recent 38mm.

2) Both are equally dressy. I prefer the model w/o the Roman numerals primarily due to size.

If you have the opportunity, go for the S/S rice bracelet. It's a bit more expensive, but the bracelet is probably the best thing going for this particular model... I was about to buy a Zenith Elite but found the IWC much more comfortable on my wrist.
As far as I can tell, both auctions are for 3514s with 34mm cases.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it of any concern that in the first watch auction (without Roman numerals), two pictures of the watch have minute dots, while one picture does not? I dunno if it makes a difference, but right now I'm wearing a silver (colored) POS Fossil which has lines rather than numerals, and minute marks. This is my dress watch until I make about a million other purchases, buy a house, and save a few thousand dollars. So yeah, for awhile.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(STYLESTUDENT @ Feb. 17 2005,09:42) Jon, International Watch Company website: http://www.iwc.ch/index.asp
HAHAHAHA I know what IWC is. Â Oh, man you fell for it. Jon.
Tongue in cheek posting on my part, like the question.Next post is from Manton asking in what city Savile Row is located. I'll answer that one too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads