• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IWC Portuguese Automatic

brass4321

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a watch with looks similar to this one at a lower price point (sub-$5,000)?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dornbluth and Sohn 99.2
db9bm.png

Can be found for a little less than 5k used (see below):
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=1286133&rid=0

I believe they are a little under 8k NEW when they can be found.
You ask... and its pretty damn close. I actually like the Breguet hands a bit better, though the Pellaton on the IWC is much more desirable.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oris XXL World Timer

690_7513_40_64_LS.jpg

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oris XXL World Timer:
Totally different complications and price ranges. The Oris can be found for under 2k is substantially less refined in worksmanship and finishing. It also features a second time zone while the other two watches include a sub-seconds and a reserve de marche. I personally find the GMT feature more useful, but again, its a pretty marked difference in design philosophy.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brass4321
Can anyone suggest a watch with looks similar to this one at a lower price point (sub-$5,000)?

I'm sorry, but I read brass4321's post as more to do with aesthetics than functionality.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps something like an Omega De Ville Co-Axial Power Reserve?

4863.31.32.jpg

mikeber

Reaction score
You are looking at a very refined watch, a quite unique timepiece. It incorporates a pocket watch movement. I don't think you can compare this watch with others.
I suggest to specify which functions and/or features are a "must" and where are you willing to compromise in order to lower the price. Then, you may get more practical suggestions.

brass4321

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions - I am actually considering this Bell & Ross Geneva 123 but I would like to get a brown crocodile band similar to that of the IWC - Bell & Ross has one but only with contrast stitching - any suggestions? Also, anyone use Zeetan at collectorstime.com?

ATM

Reaction score
Also, anyone use Zeetan at collectorstime.com?
I bought a JLC from him about five years ago. No problems.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's easy to get a high quality aftermarket watch strap, so I wouldn't let that play in the decision. If you like the watch, you can always find a strap that is more to your taste.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
What is it about this watch in particular that appeals to you? Is it the brand? The white gold? The ardoise dial? That may help with finding an alternative and a favorable price.

You can get this IWC chronograph which is similar to that port (same line of watch) for less than $5K. This is an aweseome watch, although the dial is not ardoise, it is a flat black and it is stainless steel. Ardoise are only used on the white gold versions.

3714_038_l.jpg

brass4321

Reaction score
Right now, I am just looking for a good quality watch with a certain style (black face, about 38mm diameter for my small wrists, brown leather/croc band, a mid- to high-end brand I won't see on every other person, appropriate for both casual and business dress). I only have one other watch, a stainless steel Sinn Frankfurt Finance Watch (Sinn Frankfurt 6060 World Time) with a stainless steel band - I love the watch and wear it all the time, for any occasion or for none at all - I just want something nice to alternate with it.

Any particular resources I should check out for a nice dark brown croc band, without contrast stitching?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads