1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

IWC Portuguese Automatic

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brass4321, Apr 30, 2006.

1. brass4321

brass4321 Active Member

Can anyone suggest a watch with looks similar to this one at a lower price point (sub-$5,000)?
    [​IMG]

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Dornbluth and Sohn 99.2
    [​IMG]

Can be found for a little less than 5k used (see below):
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=1286133&rid=0

I believe they are a little under 8k NEW when they can be found.
    You ask... and its pretty damn close. I actually like the Breguet hands a bit better, though the Pellaton on the IWC is much more desirable.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Oris XXL World Timer

[​IMG]

4. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Oris XXL World Timer:
    Totally different complications and price ranges. The Oris can be found for under 2k is substantially less refined in worksmanship and finishing. It also features a second time zone while the other two watches include a sub-seconds and a reserve de marche. I personally find the GMT feature more useful, but again, its a pretty marked difference in design philosophy.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Can anyone suggest a watch with looks similar to this one at a lower price point (sub-$5,000)?

I'm sorry, but I read brass4321's post as more to do with aesthetics than functionality.

6. Mute

Mute Distinguished Member

Perhaps something like an Omega De Ville Co-Axial Power Reserve?

[​IMG]

7. UMass

UMass Senior Member

8. mikeber

mikeber Senior Member

You are looking at a very refined watch, a quite unique timepiece. It incorporates a pocket watch movement. I don't think you can compare this watch with others.
    I suggest to specify which functions and/or features are a "must" and where are you willing to compromise in order to lower the price. Then, you may get more practical suggestions.

9. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior Member

10. brass4321

brass4321 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions - I am actually considering this Bell & Ross Geneva 123 but I would like to get a brown crocodile band similar to that of the IWC - Bell & Ross has one but only with contrast stitching - any suggestions? Also, anyone use Zeetan at collectorstime.com?
    [​IMG]

11. brass4321

brass4321 Active Member

12. ATM

ATM Senior Member

Also, anyone use Zeetan at collectorstime.com?
    I bought a JLC from him about five years ago. No problems.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

It's easy to get a high quality aftermarket watch strap, so I wouldn't let that play in the decision. If you like the watch, you can always find a strap that is more to your taste.

14. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Senior Member

What is it about this watch in particular that appeals to you? Is it the brand? The white gold? The ardoise dial? That may help with finding an alternative and a favorable price.

You can get this IWC chronograph which is similar to that port (same line of watch) for less than $5K. This is an aweseome watch, although the dial is not ardoise, it is a flat black and it is stainless steel. Ardoise are only used on the white gold versions.

[​IMG]

15. brass4321

brass4321 Active Member

Right now, I am just looking for a good quality watch with a certain style (black face, about 38mm diameter for my small wrists, brown leather/croc band, a mid- to high-end brand I won't see on every other person, appropriate for both casual and business dress). I only have one other watch, a stainless steel Sinn Frankfurt Finance Watch (Sinn Frankfurt 6060 World Time) with a stainless steel band - I love the watch and wear it all the time, for any occasion or for none at all - I just want something nice to alternate with it.

Any particular resources I should check out for a nice dark brown croc band, without contrast stitching?