• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IVY/TRAD GRAIL! THREE-PIECE 3/2 SACK SUIT from Harry Ballot of Princeton in a beautiful District Ch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IVY/TRAD GRAIL

THREE PIECE 3/2 SACK SUIT in DISTRICT CHECK

By HARRY BALLOT OF PRINCETON​

waterhollowtweed078-1.jpg

I don't use the term "Grail" lightly, but if anything would qualify, a three-piece, 3/2 sack suit from Harry Ballot of Princeton would qualify--and I have one here, in a beautiful District Check!

Harry Ballot was one of the Big Four of Princeton's men's clothiers (for some reason, The Princeton Clothing Company never quite made the cut!) . Less stuffy than Langrock's, more Ivy than The English Shop, and less fashion conscious than Hilton (which, by the way, is the only one still to survive, which might indicate something!) Ballot's was a solidly Ivy store, catering to the men of Princeton, its alumni, and the well-heeled, respectable, professional denizens of Mercer County.

This suit is a wonderful example of Ballot's wares! Beautiful cut in a classic 3/2 sack with a lovely high roll (almost a 3/ 2-and-three-quarters roll, rather than a true 3/2), this has perfectly proportioned lapels with a wonderful lapel. It is half-canvassed, and half-lined, and features both a center vent and also the classic two-button cuffs. It also lacks its top front button--and this lack is intentional, for a close inspection of the cloth with a loupe shows that it never had one. This isn't that surprising--occasionally, customers of Ballot,s Langrock's, and the like would request the top button to be omitted, for two reasons. First, on a jacket with a very high lapel roll, like this one, the top button could spoil the elegant line of the lapel; second, if included a top button could sometimes lead to its impression being pressed into the outward side of the lapel by a careless press, and so eschewing the button avoided the problem. This is a wonderfully Ivy approach to things, combining both aesthetics and practicality in one!

There is no fabric content listed,but this suit is clearly wool. And the cloth is lovely, having both a terrific drape and a wonderful colourway: A District Check in russet and black, with a light-almond background and a Royal blue overcheck. This is a lovely, versatile colourway and pattern, and absolutely perfect for Spring!

The trousers are flat-fronted, of course, and have classic 1 3/4 " cuffs. The vest has all functional pockets, and all of its buttonholes are lovely and tight, with no pulling or running at all.

This suit was, of course, Union Made in the USA. I can't tell from the label if this was pre- or post 1962 (as it is sewn in in such a way as to obscure the existence or absence of the encircled "R" that would tell us), but judging by the cut and what I know of Ballot's labels I would say this is a late 1960's suit.... and one that is in excellent condition!

Oh yes--I also have the original wooden hanger than the original owner stored this one, and I'll include this--especially as it is perfect with its natural shoulders!

So, how much for this Grail of a suit? Well, it's hard to say, given that Palm Beach (!) three piece suits now seem to fetch in excess of $1, 200 on eBay! However, I'll use my usual rubric here, and ask what I, as a junior impoverished academic, would be delighted to pay... and then knock of another 10% for the initial asking price, with LOWER OFFERS STILL BEING VERY WELCOME!

So, how about $145, boxed and shipped in CONUS, or lower offer? International inquiries are also welcome, with shipping at cost.

Please PM with interest and offers!

Measurements:

Chest: 20 3/4
Sleeve: 24 1/2 (+2)
Shoulder: 17 3/4
Length: 30

Waist (laid flat): 16 1/2
Inseam: 31 3/4 (+3/4" to let down), with 1 3/4 cuff.

Vest width: 18 3/4
Vest length, tip to tip: 26 3/4

Attachments

• waterhollowtweed 078.JPG
    waterhollowtweed 078.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Hi there, is the length measurement from back of collar or total length?

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest! The length measurements is from the bottom of the collar.

Offers very welcome!

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOLD! But another similar suit from Ballot--this time a two piece 3/2 sack in Wash and Wear, also vintage, will be coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics