• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ivy league grad school anyone?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently first year student in Canada doing my undergrad in Political Science. Since high school I've been aiming at the top law schools, but for a few reason decided to to stay in Canada for undergrad. I just finished my first semester and so far everything is going very well, I'm in a reputable school, I get amazing grades and I'm involved in quite a few academic and community oriented clubs.

I'm not going to ask ridiculous questions like how high my marks have to be etc. But I would like some advice from current/alumni students on what they did to prepare during their undergrad. It seems as there are very few resources around me and non of my advisers/proffesors really have much to say on the subject. I understand the level of competition so I would like to know everything there is that helped you.

Maybe books, classes, outside tuition? Any advice would be appreciated or if you know a place where these kind of questions are discussed. I'm planning to stop by a few law schools I am interested in but these are not the type of questions advisers will answer.

Thanks!

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Not again...

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get amazing grades and I'm involved in quite a few academic and community oriented clubs.
Just keep doing that. Take easy electives so it won't hurt your GPA. Then kill the LSAT. Make sure you take a few small classes and get to know the profs so they can write recommendation letters for you (not that anyone reads them).

It wouldn't hurt to do some goofy thing over the summer like go build a school in South America or on an Indian reservation.

Don't they have law schools up there anyway
McGill not good enough for ya?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
LOL ok i'll give you the sunglasses thread... that was pretty funny to point out. However mind you what I actually need them for

I don't have anything bad to say about McGill but I want to work in US so going to a Canadian law school would make it a lot more difficult.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I <3 Ivy threaks.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I chose a non-Ivy graduate/professional program over an Ivy one. The non-Ivy (and no, it's not Stanford) was better.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
I chose a non-Ivy graduate/professional program over an Ivy one. The non-Ivy (and no, it's not Stanford) was better.

Alright..spill Oxford or Cambridge

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^HYPS are out...
So I'm thinking MIT, Caltech, maybe UChicago?

But wait, I thought you were an undergrad at Princeton. I'm almost positive I've seen Whitman in the backgrounds of your WAYWT's...

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
University of Phoenix Online

It cracks me up they bought the naming rights to an NFL stadium, so that people might think they actually have a physical campus

If you aint Ancient Eight, you aint great!

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Hi I'm currently first year student in Canada doing my undergrad in Political Science. Since high school I've been aiming at the top law schools, but for a few reason decided to to stay in Canada for undergrad. I just finished my first semester and so far everything is going very well, I'm in a reputable school, I get amazing grades and I'm involved in quite a few academic and community oriented clubs.

I'm not going to ask ridiculous questions like how high my marks have to be etc. But I would like some advice from current/alumni students on what they did to prepare during their undergrad. It seems as there are very few resources around me and non of my advisers/proffesors really have much to say on the subject. I understand the level of competition so I would like to know everything there is that helped you.

Maybe books, classes, outside tuition? Any advice would be appreciated or if you know a place where these kind of questions are discussed. I'm planning to stop by a few law schools I am interested in but these are not the type of questions advisers will answer.

Thanks!

That other post is damning, but I will never fault someone for trying to better themselves. The most important thing are the grades, standardized test scores (you might want to start preparing for the LSAT early - take a course if you think it will help). But one of the most important things besides community work is internships and relevant work experience. You should probably spend your summers on Bay st. (considering that you're canadian). Other things that are gold mines for law school apps are working for a non-profit that defends and gives free legal advice to people in inner cities. If you have time, try to work on one campaign.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Hi that sounds like great advice, I've started looking a few weeks ago into a possibily of working for a law firm (toronto is deffinatly a possibility) as well as non profit legal help. The only thing that made the idea seem dodgy is that I'm an undergrad freshman so what kind of a job can I possibly be fit to do at a law firm? Even with my extensive interest in law and my involvement in politics I still lack the knowledge or the credentials to do any work related to law. Is it realistic to get an internship for the summer in a law firm as an undergrad? If so, that is deffiantly something I'm going to look into.

And what campaign are you talking about? Like a federal/provincial election?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your original question is extremely vague and shows that you have not really thought this through beyond even 5 minutes.

First of all, you want to go to Law School? Do you know which Ivies even have a law school? Are they all good? Are they all better than non-Ivies? If I were to offer you admission to Brown Law School vs NYU right here, today, which one would you prefer? Maybe you want to apply to Princeton Law.

In the end you need 2 things, GPA and LSAT. Come back in 3 years with a 3.9 and a 170+ and you will be talking possible. Maybe.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40