• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've worn my RLPL sweaters too much... Can I fix?

scot

Reaction score
I have a pair of cashmere RLPL sweaters that are awesome, but stretching out a bit. These are thin shirt type, not thick cable type sweaters. First year they were nice and form fitting, last year a bit less. This year they look positively frumpy. They don't need a huge shrinking, just a "freshening up" if you know what I mean.

Can anyone think of anything to get my sweaters to get their springy state back from the sprung state they are in?

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
RALPH LAUREN PURPLE LABEL?

Arent those thing retailed for $600-800?

Did you use EBAY or ....?

Could have been fake

Just sayin...

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pure cashmere handles water REALLY well, I wash all my cashmere knitwear in garment bags @ wool program and gentle cycle no heat. Don't hang or tumble, lay flat on a thick towel. On cheaper garments seams could be a problem. But if it is Purple label they should stay true. I have had some items "twist" from brands like Loro Piana among others, but these items are exceptions.

scot

Reaction score
They are RLPL, and real. Though I didnt pay 600 for them, I think the retail was 795. Mine was more in the 200 range on sale. I was wrong on the age, they are three winters old now, not two. I have worn them quite a bit, honestly more than I probably should. They don't look bad, but they just aren't quite as slim as they used to be. Just a hair stretched out. Who knows, maybe its just the weight I lost.
smile.gif
None of the edges look frayed, there is no pilling etc.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would wash, as stated above, then--and I accept no responsibility if you try this--consider tossing them in the dryer (on low) for a bit. If you do a forum search on cashmere you may turn up a thread where our own venerable host J did this to good results. He even found that it softened the hand. I, myself, have put some cashmere in a dryer for a bit to no ill effects.

Again, do this at your own risk, but it's worth considering.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try a gentle wash and hand-blocking the sweater. A truly high-end drycleaner can also do this for you.

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I would wash, as stated above, then--and I accept no responsibility if you try this--consider tossing them in the dryer (on low) for a bit. If you do a forum search on cashmere you may turn up a thread where our own venerable host J did this to good results. He even found that it softened the hand. I, myself, have put some cashmere in a dryer for a bit to no ill effects.

Again, do this at your own risk, but it's worth considering.

whatis he going to do? Sue you?

citoyen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
the dryer (on low) for a bit

+1 to AlanC
i may add that some dryers (if not all) have the "cold air programme" where the "drying" air comes in by 20° Celsius or so (but never over 30°). if that was meant by the above quote, then you got the advice - twice!
smile.gif

HermesGuy

Reaction score
I agree 100% with the washing of cashmere. I've got dozens of PRL cashmere sweaters and wash them in the washing machine on gentle using mild hair shampoo (not laundry detergent, which i find to be too harsh) or woolite. I do not agree though, at all, with the idea of putting a sweater in the dryer. You are asking for trouble, IMO. I suggest blocking the sweater on a towel and allowing to air-dry. The evaporation of the water will create a natural shrinking process of its own. The dryer will turn the sweater into a sweater suitable for a GI Joe doll.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads