• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've no interest in women of my generation.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I love them all. It just isn't reciprocated.

Weren't you just telling us a week ago about how all women love you?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Weren't you just telling us a week ago about how all women love you?

Not in a date you, marry you, love you for the rest of my life kind of way. They all just like me and think I'm a great guy. And every girl I ever meet has someone that "you'd be perfect for."

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not in a date you, marry you, love you for the rest of my life kind of way.
Yes, yes, yes. That has been my experience as well with most women. I'm not arrogant enough to believe that it's impossible to not be able to enjoy my company and share a meaningful, and substantial, relationship with me--though, I do think I can be good at it--but, at times, I think it may be more because the women I have experienced don't really know what it is they are truly are looking for.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
And before someone makes the requisite gay joke, I have considered becoming a homosexualist. Unfortunately, I just can't go through with it.
I haven't read the rest of the posts, but I figured I'd comment on this. Don't knock it until you've tried it. You may end up finding out that your issue was social stigma as opposed to zero interest. As to your original post- two things: -You may want to mellow out on your own end. You seem like you've got some fairly serious guidelines. That hurts your chances in the sense that you might run off a good candidate, and you may also miss some really good things about that person when focusing on the parts that aren't satisfactory given your pretenses. -Keep searching and keep an open mind. There are a lot of ******* stupid people in this world, women included. There are also women who are wonderful in their own ways. Sometimes quirkiness is just as good as brains if you can step back and appreciate it. Other times a raging ***** who challenges you is the right call. I know it's touchy feely, but even stupid/immature people are wonderful if you get to know them in the right context. Maybe a chick is good for a conversation every now and then, one good for catching a movie, another makes a decent study buddy or therapist when you need to unwind. Edit:
In the meantime, where might be a good place to find women that substantial conversation can be had with? That's really all I am looking for here! Based on my limited experience, I have yet to find proof such a creature exists.
Join community service club. Join an outdoor activity club. Talk to the cute girl reading Kafka in the coffee shop. Talk to another girl in the coffee shop the next day. Say hello with your buddy to the jailbait looking chicks in those tiny white skirts and Lacoste pastel polo shirts in the food court at the mall. There are women all over the place. Shotgun effect that **** and just talk to them all. Edit Edit: don't do bars or clubs. It's expensive and sucks. Parties are the way to go for meeting inebriated girls, making friends, and potentially finding dudes who know tons of girls and might know a match. Edit Edit Edit:
Yeah. Believe me, I've tried. I just have a very hard time allowing myself to just settle.
It's not always settling. Take people for who they are and interact with them on this basis. You aren't getting married, so they can have the occasional flaw. Edit Edit Edit Edit:
I think it may be more because the women I have experienced don't really know what it is they are truly are looking for.
You probably won't know what you're looking for either for ages. Just got for it. You really don't have much to lose. You may even end up with a good selection of booty calls for bored days. Otherwise you can hook them up with your foreveralone type friends and be their hero.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
at your age most guys dont have class or values either. unfortunately for you, you are in the minority.

You've got something on your nose.
Lemme see.
Ah, it seems to be fecal matter.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Join community service club. Join an outdoor activity club. Talk to the cute girl reading Kafka in the coffee shop. Talk to another girl in the coffee shop the next day.
I never understood the whole coffee-shop-as-social-scene. For a guy who goes places by himself, it's even more brutally lonely than clubs. I don't even recall ever seeing an attractive girl in a coffee shop. Maybe I just haven't gone to the right ones.
Say hello with your buddy to the jailbait looking chicks in those tiny white skirts and Lacoste pastel polo shirts in the food court at the mall. There are women all over the place. Shotgun effect that **** and just talk to them all.
…about what?
Edit Edit: don't do bars or clubs. It's expensive and sucks. Parties are the way to go for meeting inebriated girls, making friends, and potentially finding dudes who know tons of girls and might know a match.
I've tried befriending guys in an attempt to have a reliable group of people to go places with, but outside of a few flukish one-off outings (literally, less than five), nothing's ever stuck. I occasionally wind up at parties too, but those are usually flukish one-offs as well, and I usually end up never seeing those people again. I wouldn't even go through the effort of doing these things if it weren't for the prospect of meeting and talking to women on any sort of semi-regular basis, which I never do. I'm not even managing to grab onto the bottom rung of the social ladder.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
I sense OP has not had much luck. Perhaps consider that the common denominator in all of these encounters has been you. Or you're very unlucky, in which case, keep fighting the good fight, bro.
cheers.gif

Yeah, maybe you're just an uptight wanker?
Seriously, I've met and dated plenty of intellectual women. I don't think the conversation started with anything more serious than fire, violence, or sex.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've considered that it could be me. After 2 years of thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that it is not.

Very kind of you to say. I am just looking for a woman with class and a bit of values; at my age, it's a surprisingly hard thing to do.

No, it is mos def just you. The world is lousy with decent people, you're just doing everything you can to proactively shoot them down. And no, it's not "standards."

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
You've got something on your nose.
Lemme see.
Ah, it seems to be fecal matter.

thanks mang i knew i was smelling something wierd.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why so many here are so adamant about saying 'no' to bars / restaurants, but then yes to coffee shops? I guess I just have a different view as I never go out 'on the prowl.' But **** today after grabbing a cocktail after studying, I run into a friend of mine in law school, and we venture to a different bar - he introduces me to a very good looking / interesting friend of his - got her number. Easy.

As far as clubs / societies go...I find that they are typically dominated by older people (i belong to some historical societies).

Just be easy to get along with / cool to everyone IRL. And don't knock anything till you try it (no this isn't a gay reference). I never really just go out and snag random girls, so for me at least knowing people is so important.

I'm a little drunk, lol.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
What's funny is that people say "Don't try to meet people in bars" but if you're hanging out in bars, does that mean no women should ever want to meet you?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, lots of people go to bars, not just idiots.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I don't understand why so many here are so adamant about saying 'no' to bars / restaurants, but then yes to coffee shops?
He's talking about finding life partner material. People normally go to bars to have a good time, not discuss Nietzsche. I have lots of fun at bars. I've had plenty of success at bars. I've just haven't found somebody who wants to talk about serious **** in a bar.
I never understood the whole coffee-shop-as-social-scene. For a guy who goes places by himself, it's even more brutally lonely than clubs. I don't even recall ever seeing an attractive girl in a coffee shop. Maybe I just haven't gone to the right ones.
I live in a college town, and my home base in Austin. Coffee shops are full of young, attractive people. It works the same way in coffee shops as class. Find a girl by herself, walk up, throw on your award winning smile, ask if you can sit down, introduce yourself, and start making light hearted conversation, a joke, or something similar.
…about what?
Ask about the person. People love talking about themselves. Or ask a question.
I've tried befriending guys in an attempt to have a reliable group of people to go places with, but outside of a few flukish one-off outings (literally, less than five), nothing's ever stuck. I occasionally wind up at parties too, but those are usually flukish one-offs as well, and I usually end up never seeing those people again. I wouldn't even go through the effort of doing these things if it weren't for the prospect of meeting and talking to women on any sort of semi-regular basis, which I never do.
Are you awkward to be around? Do you constantly ***** about your life? Do you talk about how foreveralone you are? Do you talk about how rare it is to go out with people? If you're anything like you are on styleforum, you're probably a debbie downer. Be more fun to be around.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you: unpredictability is key. Every woman is just expecting to be hit on at a bar. Stake out at your local pâtisserie, or perhaps a specialty chocolate shop. That is where you can make a good first impression.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
He's talking about finding life partner material.

Not really "life partner", per se. Just someone that I can share a meaningful relationship with for a little while. I'm not looking to go into it with the intentions of spending the rest of my life with them. I would just like to have someone that I share something in common with and that enjoys my company.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads