• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've joined Facebook and am doomed.

emptym

Reaction score
I resisted for as long as I could. But I've been on now for 24 hrs, well, maybe 20 of the past 24 hrs. Or maybe 4. Too long in any case.

It's been good though. Have already reconnected w/ a bunch of high school and college friends. Weird to see current pictures of people I haven't seen for almost 20 yrs. I wouldn't have recognized a bunch of them.

Only problem is, I thought SF was a timesuck. Facebook is like SF exploded. Pray for me. I need it.

Am I the last person on this? What do I need to know? Anyone have any good tips, or stories?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In the next few days, you will fight the urge to answer which NBA player/movie star/automobile are you; join Pet Society or Texas Hold Em or Mob Wars; answer the 'obscure band from the 80s' quiz and at the same time looking how odd your old friends look after so many years not seeing them.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facebook has sucked for a while now.

At least compared to how it used to be. It's still cool to connect with old acquaintances. Or not.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like facebook for reconnecting with friends and for passing out and getting event invites, but I don't spend any time there excpet to respond to messages.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an addict as are many expatriates that I know. One thing that bugs me is that you can't look up people by location. For example, I would like to meet up with friends of friends here in Istanbul but am not sure of how to find them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could get addicted to Facebook. All the updates I get are generally mundane, and I really don't feel like filling out forms ("quizzes") if I'm not getting paid for it. It's a good way to keep up on people's superficial life changes though.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh, still leading a twitter and facebook free life
smile.gif
I never really understood the need to post that much info of yourself on the web.. but I probably cant put off the linkedin profile for much longer..

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facebook is about as stimulating as poking a dead cat in a gutter.

JacobJacob

Reaction score
best advice: Don´t accept just everyone as a friend. i am in a situation now, where I actually have regretted adding someone on my friends list. Why? for starters it seems that for some people facebook is a race of getting most people on their friendlist. I mean, if I am someones friend number 856 then I really don't see the importance of this fb-connection. If it is your best friend, it doesn't matter, but you get my point.. But the really über annoying thing is to have someone as a fb-friend and then realizing that you never speak because you are really not concerned for each other any longer but now, because of this fb friendship, YOU! get numerous updates telling that his or hers child just got a new pair of shoes with the batman logo and a new haircut (often alongside with pictures or entire albums manifesting this great thing) because the family are visiting some senile aunt next week (which will be followed by even more meaningless pictures, storyes and comments. ). Speaking of photos, you have to expect someone tags you in old, old, old pictures you really aren't that interested in having on yor fb-profile. BUT, but, but, since this a Gentleman´s forum, I do feel this is an appropriate suggestion: For every one male fb-friend try having two females and nothing less 50/50.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
heh, still leading a twitter and facebook free life
smile.gif
I never really understood the need to post that much info of yourself on the web.. but I probably cant put off the linkedin profile for much longer..

Same here. I get invitations to join often; however, I don't necessarily want to reconnect with old friends; I mean, we're no longer in touch for a reason. Also, I don't like sharing info about myself and don't need the details of the lives of others.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We Are All Your Friends Now

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I like facebook for reconnecting with friends and for passing out and getting event invites, but I don't spend any time there excpet to respond to messages.
+1. Everything I pretty much do on FB these days I do through the Facebook for Blackberry app. PS: There's an SF group on FB... make sure you join it!

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
PS: There's an SF group on FB... make sure you join it!

One of the few things worth doing on FB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads