I've got new brown shoes, can I use darker polish?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ChazzR, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ChazzR

ChazzR Active Member

They're Brooks Brothers calfskin wingtips that I bought at the winter sale if that gives you a sense of how brown they are. Can I use a slightly darker polish on them? I wouldn't mind if they were a bit darker. I think it was GQ magazine where I recently read that one should use black polish on brown shoes and black shoes - that seemed a bit odd to me, but I'm no expert.

All the girls are crazy
    Acting out the heat
    Tie and shirts and cufflinks
    Well that's pretty neat

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, you can. A slightly darker polish will darken them somewhat over time, but the immediate impact probably won't be dramatic.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Don't start with black - use the next darker shade. GQ is dumb. Clean any excess polish out of the broguing (the holes in the leather) with a toothpick and a Q-tip stick before the final buffing.

4. Charley

Charley Senior member

Use the darker brown polish.
    Buff them out with the brown brush.
    Then hit the toe box and the heel area with the black buffing brush to add a little more darkening to those areas. Regular polishing in this manner will darken them gradually to what you might want to achieve. And keep things under control.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

I polish most of my brown shoes with either black, to darken them, or cordovan, to give them a reddish tint. Black polish works faster than brown to darken shoes. If the leather quality is good, the effect is not dramatic. I did try this with a pair of Gucci loafers, though, and close inspection of the cheap leather shows larger patches of black than I would like. Although it's not noticeable to anyone whose nose is more than 3 feet away, it annoys me. The Gucci's get brown polish now.

6. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I've used black with good results. However, you should know what the results are before trying it. Also, I've only done it once or twice on each pair; I then go back to browns.

EDIT: I should point out that I've used creams for this, not waxes.

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I'm with j, both on the dark brown polish and GQ's dumbness.

I used a dark brown on a lighter pair of shoes and it worked fine. As others have said, the effect is not immediate, rather you'll have to do it several times. Why rush a good thing?

8. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

It is key to apply polish very evenly, otherwise you may get streaks of the darker polish. I did this yesterday, (darker polish on brown shoe)and had to start over. I use a makeup remover pad and now apply polish in small circles. I was getting lazy before and sorta brushed it on in longer strokes.