• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iTunes Song Deletion Question

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if there's a way to delete a song off your hard drive directly through iTunes, rather than trying to find the individual song in a folder and deleting it manually? When you typically hit the 'delete' key on a song on iTunes, it removes it from your library, but doesn't get it off the computer.

If there is, it would save a ton of time getting some crappy songs off my computer that I don't listen to at all.

Thanks.

CoryB

Reaction score
Check your preferences. Whenever I delete song files it always pops up with a question asking whether I'd like to keep the file or delete it as well. It is possible you set it to auto-keep files rather than asking each time.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the song is stored in the iTunes Music folder (inside the iTunes folder in the My Music folder in the My Documents folder), you're asked if you also want to delete the song from your hard disk. To leave the song on your hard disk, click No. To permanently delete the song from your hard disk, click Yes.

If the song is located outside the iTunes Music folder and you want to delete it from your hard disk, you must manually delete the song by dragging its file to the Recycle Bin. If you're not sure where the song file is located, select the song in iTunes, and choose File > Show Song File.

It depends on where the songs are stored.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you right-click on the song in iTunes there is a little "Show Song" feature that will find the song on the hard drive and bring it up in whatever folder it is in. However, if you have a lot of music (which I know you do) and you haven't defragged your hard drive in a while this may take some time. Hope this helps.

A.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
VM, it is as simple as CoryB implied: from iTunes, with your Library selected in the left window (Source), simply select the offending song and delete. As CoryB pointed out, if you've asked iTunes to warn you before deleting a song, you'll get a dialogue box asking if you want the file moved to the trash, or merely deleted from iTunes. If you tell it to move the file to trash (or recycle bin in windoze), it'll be gone once you empty trash.

Just make sure you have your Library selected, not a playlist.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

However, I cannot find the option in the preferences menu where it asks if you want to keep the file or not. The weird thing is that when I add a song recently and then delete it from iTunes I do get that popup message, but I do not get the message when deleting a song I added a long time ago, and it doesn't actually delete it from the HD.

Aaron,

Thanks for the tip - works for individual songs, but seems slow on my comp and would take forever to get rid of ~3000 unwanted songs.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
VM, another question: is all of your music in your iTunes Music Library? Or is it scattered around the hard drive. I'm guessing iTunes is only deleting the files which are actually in the iTunes Library.

You could try to consolidate the library, which will copy a bunch of files into one centralized location. And if your iTunes prefs are set to "keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", all your mp3s should be available for iTunes to "manage" from then on.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
VM, another question: is all of your music in your iTunes Music Library? Or is it scattered around the hard drive. I'm guessing iTunes is only deleting the files which are actually in the iTunes Library.

You could try to consolidate the library, which will copy a bunch of files into one centralized location. And if your iTunes prefs are set to "keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", all your mp3s should be available for iTunes to "manage" from then on.

I have music in multiple folders, and I don't really use the iTunes Library folder, unless it's for a CD ripped into itunes.

Thanks for the tip.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I'm just fishing VM. As everyone here can attest, Dakota ain't no expert. At anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics