• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: We recommend... if you like brand X, you might try brand Y.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'd recommend that Raf Simons fans check out Ute Ploier.

they have some nice fuzzy sweaters

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Good rec although the stuff I've seen wasn't very Jil-esque.

I'd recommend that Raf Simons fans check out Ute Ploier.

Annapurna is not really Jil-esque in that the signature pieces between the two brands don't have much in common. But I think that for the basic cardigans, crew and v-necks, there are a lot of similarities in color and fit, especially for earlier, pre-Raf Jil Sander.

tyboy

Reaction score
I already know I'm going to get metaphorically raped for this, but:

Theory = ?

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we open this up so people can request recommendations? I like Paul Smith, for instance, so are there any lesser-known designers I should check out?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
Can we open this up so people can request recommendations? I like Paul Smith, for instance, so are there any lesser-known designers I should check out?

For shoes, Rachel Comey; for prints, Liberty of London.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
In general, you'd think that with the direction a lot of you skinnier guys are going (semi-goth ninja) that there would be a groundswell for Nuur, which uses fabrics that are better than Rick Owens, Damir Doma, wjk, etc...
Unfortunately all the Nuur pieces I've seen on-line are only available in huge sizes. For a chest size of 35", what would the best Nuur size be? I don't agree with lumping wjk together with RO and Damir. The overall atheistic is far different and definitely not even semi-goth ninja. To me RO and Damir firmly embrace that aesthetic, while wjk only vaguely romanticizes a cool rocker vibe via more basic pieces. Hell, wjk even offered raglan baseball tees this season which is about as far removed from goth ninja as one could imagine! Also, I don't see much interest in wjk over at SZ. Also I feel it is difficult to quantify wjk's quality. I don't know what you've seen in person, but I have about 20 wjk pieces and the fabric quality on this label varies greatly. The cheaper pieces are about like W+H fabric, but the more expensive pieces have absolutely incredible fabric quality and hardware. I've never seen another label where the price of each piece so closely matches the quality. This label is more focused on quality than unique designs, yet the designs are not bland. And keeping with theme of this thread, I would recommend wjk for people who like the older W+H (prior to all the workwear crap).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
if you like quoddy/yuketen you should be buying arrow mocs!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yoox always has small sizes. Remember that the sizes are all EU sizes, and they fit small. For a chest of 35", I would suggest a size 48 for the tees, unless you want them to be nipple showing tight. Seriously, some of the stuff is really, really, slim. Maybe a 46, but no smaller.

Originally Posted by BB1
Unfortunately all the Nuur pieces I've seen on-line are only available in huge sizes. For a chest size of 35", what would the best Nuur size be?

I don't agree with lumping wjk together with RO and Damir. The overall atheistic is far different and definitely not even semi-goth ninja. To me RO and Damir firmly embrace that aesthetic, while wjk only vaguely romanticizes a cool rocker vibe via more basic pieces. Hell, wjk even offered raglan baseball tees this season which is about as far removed from goth ninja as one could imagine! Also, I don't see much interest in wjk over at SZ.

Also I feel it is difficult to quantify wjk's quality. I don't know what you've seen in person, but I have about 20 wjk pieces and the fabric quality on this label varies greatly. The cheaper pieces are about like W+H fabric, but the more expensive pieces have absolutely incredible fabric quality and hardware. I've never seen another label where the price of each piece so closely matches the quality. This label is more focused on quality than unique designs, yet the designs are not bland.

And keeping with theme of this thread, I would recommend wjk for people who like the older W+H (prior to all the workwear crap).

I sort of agree with this. But... wjk is not unlike MA+, which is also not "ninja wear" in the way that Rick Owens is. It's really, well, basics, but just done in remarkable fabrics. I mean, the signature piece (the hooded aviator) is essentially a hoodie. A super cool hoodie, but ultimately, a hoodie. That you can wear with busted up jeans and kicks. The colors and textures though, can easily be co-opted into the ninja aesthetic. imo, same goes with wjk and Jun Hashimoto. Remember, it's ultimately the buyers, rather than the designers, who present a collection to the world.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tyboy
I already know I'm going to get metaphorically raped for this, but:

Theory = ?

Theory? If you like Theory, you may as well just go and die.

Seriously, if you like Theory, you should be into Filippa K and Acne. It's like Theory, but instead of being for boring Americans who sort of like fashion, but don't really, it's for Scandanavians who want to look "nice". The difference? The average Scandanavian is a lot better looking than the average American. That makes a world of difference.

prokart

Reaction score
Recommendations if I like Geller, NdG, Ervell, Junya, nonnative?

tyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It's like Theory, but instead of being for boring Americans who sort of like fashion, but don't really, it's for Scandanavians who want to look "nice". The difference? The average Scandanavian is a lot better looking than the average American. That makes a world of difference.
I find this quite ironic considering I am one hundred percent Norwegian (my four great-grandparents all immigrated from Norway). Thanks.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
From a tailored point of view, Bamford & Sons and Viktor & Rolf come to mind

ashenwreck

Reaction score
Any lesser known brands akin to KZO/Riviera Club (West Coast vibe) at a similar pricepoint?

kwoyeu

Reaction score
i like Saion shoes and in general the shoes discussed in this "Japanese shoemakers" thread started by Fuuma over @ sz

any other brands that produce similar styles? chief considerations in orders of importance are the distinctive, sexy beak-like shape as exemplied by the pics below, superb quality and local availability.

some examples
007_1.jpg

saion02dq0.jpg

044_1.jpg

012_1.jpg

a less severe example (re: shape)
img10084280200.jpg

thanks!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sutor Mantelassi uses a very similar toe, and there's an English maker that has a similar model to the last boot, but I can't think of the name at the moment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads