• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: I will review your blog.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We shan't keep you waiting much further, your royal Spooness. Just need to get the writerly juices flowing before unleashing them upon you.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by videocrew
http://manifolddestiny.wordpress.com
Like most reviewers, I am pretty far from dispassionate. I have my preferences, some idiosyncratic and some generalizable. I try, wherever possible, to draw upon the latter when critiquing a blog. One of those preferences -- and I believe it's generalizable -- is a distinct favoring of blogs devoted to single subjects. Indeed, a blog primarily by single author should be as focused as possible on that author's passion. And I use the singular emphatically here. "Lifestyle" blogs, noble endeavors though they set out to be, often run aground on the rocky shores of unfocused non-concentration. Far more interesting, and far more likely to attract an audience, are blogs that can plumb deeper depths within a single subject. And so, with these preferences in mind, I tangle with Greg Pugh's Manifold Destiny, a blog so intentionally diffuse in subject matter that its author feels compelled to define "manifold" in the masthead (his chosen explication: "of many kinds; numerous and varied"). But ah, Mr. Pugh deceives us -- and perhaps cleverly so. For Manifold Destiny is, despite its coverage of various photographs of seemingly unrelated miscellany like shoes, landscapes, and sweaters, a blog bound tightly by a common thread: aesthetics. If nothing else, Pugh is a lover of beauty. Occasionally that beauty is superficial, and here is Pugh's greatest failing: using stock photographs to stand in for profoundly simple pictorial statements. Perhaps this is also part of Pugh's cosmic jest -- that true beauty is found in the tacky, the hackneyed, and the clip-artistic. Or, just as likely, Pugh is an aspiring photographer incapable of mastering his own lens. I, hopelessly sentimental, choose to believe the former.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Not my blog, but I would like to hear your thoughts on http://fuckyeahmenswear.tumblr.com/
A delightful anti-Satorialist, Fuckyeahmenswear offers up saucy doggerel and dogged eccentricity in equal measure. Whether we cast our gaze upon fussed-up hipster-dandies in royal blue blazers; or on guns, knives, and rulers laid carefully on a blanket, we're sure to see some compelling images from this tongue-in-cheek repository of all things, well, not quite sane and not quite comfortable. There's an order, to be sure, in the foul-mouthed lyricism and indie-chic photography. But it's an order predicated on equal parts condescension and celebration, that Janus-faced dyad of secret chaos and dark corners. The blog is not without its flaws, however. The repetition and over-length of the fauxetry grinds on the reader after a time. One wishes, every so often and even then in hushed tones, for more menswear and less "**** yeah." Or perhaps the reverse. Just one or the other, now, that's all we ask.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Not mine, but probably one of my favorites.

http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/

Most Exerent, a "brog" by a delightfully self-depricating Asian author, would be the height of fussiness and studied stodgery if it took itself too seriousry. Fortunatery, it does not.

What we see here are careful meditations (if you'll pardon the Asian stereotype) on the aesthetics of symmetry and order -- playfully undercut by such delightfully dorky puns as "I like sitting on timbre at the table," or cheerily cheesy vintage advertisements for the Helvetica font ("Helvetica: the face all print men are talking about"). One gets the distinct impression that the author is, himself, an "ad man" of a sort. If not, he's missed his calling. For Most Exerent is, like all great creative work, a call to self-improvement -- a message that grabs its readers by the skinny lapels and proclaims "THIS, damn you, is what you need to live up to. You can always do better."

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
a message that grabs its readers by the skinny lapels and proclaims "THIS, damn you, is what you need to live up to. You can always do better."

GungHo2.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bing
http://dreamlandapparel.com/blog friend's, not mine.
Dreamland Apparel
, the self-titled blog of a small clothing company founded in 2006, is either refreshingly -- or maddeningly; I can't decide -- free of self reference. It's a blog about, well, anything but Dreamland Apparel. Here you'll find theatre reviews, NFL playoff predictions, high praises sung of rival labels (not surprisingly, American Apparel gets a lot of play on this blog)...you name it, and author Chris Elliott* has chosen to write about it on any given day. No doubt this is an exercise in nouveau "brand strategy," an attempt to engender sympathy -- if not, cynically speaking, web traffic -- for the clothing line through coverage of nothing inherently commercial. And it's not working. At least not on this reviewer. Call me old fashioned, but I want my company blogs to be about the companies themselves. Give us behind-the-scenes glances at next season's line. Give us the deceitful, yet delightful faux-Americana of a trip to the old cotton mill in a backyard in Brooklyn. Give us anything to whet our appetites for your wares, because I'm not seeing anything I want to buy here. *Unfortunately, no relation. I checked.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
if that's the case... this
The Eyebrow Theory. I'll never forget the first time my sexed-up college roommate foisted that little gem upon me. It went something like this: "You can tell, by the way a chick shapes her eyebrows, how she shapes her pubes." And so it went. In the ensuing years, I've heard many such homespun theories, some cockamamie and some cocksure, about how to discern -- without actually glimpsing a girl's labia -- the precise topography of those precious lips. It turns out that no reliable theory, be it predicated on eyebrows or hair coloring or underwear choices, can provide reasonably accurate guide to the under-there grooming habits of the human female. The pubic will not make itself public. That is, until, you click through the clothed images on the wonderfully subversive Guess Her Muff and on, oh dear friend and constant companion, to glory. But be thee due warned, fair tuna-boat sailor: here there be dragons. As it turns out, most muffs are the icky, cootie-infested maws of doom our third-grade selves imagined them to be. Rarely here does the intrepid voyager alight upon a delight. But when he does...holy ******* ****.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
****, I gotta go to dinner. More later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads