• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's always a sweeet spot with Boston shakers. That sweeet spot is easy to find when you employ the banana technique. However, the banana technique is not available when using Cobbler or Parisian shakers. My old, cheap cobbler shaker can be a bit of a pita to open. Spillage is possible. Not sure how better cobbler shakers behave.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I do the banana. I got a newfangled shaker that's double walled with a built in filter and you press a button when you want to pour it out. I don't really like it but it's pretty. Wish I had a cobbler or a boston shaker instead

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh thanks guys I never knew that…

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well considering you're a complete noob I thought id mention it

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've probably used a shaker more than anyone here other than huntsman. Things get janky like 2-3% of the time. That said the environments I've used a shaker in are much more fast faced and banging drinks out than home use. I think boston and tin is the most foolproof way to go. My preference is based on that and not home use. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know, but I don't think bourbon basted knows

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. Great stuff and some interesting points. As my username may suggest, I'm a noob to anything that isn't "take rocks glass out of cabinet, add a cube of ice, pour liquor," so this is all pretty uncharted territory for me.

Thanks again for all the input, especially @b10s. I'm gonna start doing some serious digging today based on your suggestions.

:cheers:

tdangio

Reaction score

Any more bars and drinks I should try?

Eeyore's Requiem (from the Violet Hour in Chicago)

1.5 oz Campari
1/2 oz Tanqueray
1/4 oz Cynar
~1/4 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz Dolin Blanc
15 drops 50/50 bitters (mix of Regan's and Fee's orange bitters)

Stir and strain into a coupe. Express the oil from 3 orange peels and discard.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Violet hour is great but not in nyc which was my original question in context

tdangio

Reaction score

Violet hour is great but not in nyc which was my original question in context

You asked for bars and drinks, you didn't state that the drinks had to be at the bars. Just have someone make it for you, or make it for yourself.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no argument to be won here.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You asked for bars and drinks, you didn't state that the drinks had to be at the bars. Just have someone make it for you, or make it for yourself.

Dude. The perfect cocktail for your bitters is clearly Death & Company's 'Cure for Pain', may rendition of which is:

1.25 oz strong rye (Knob Creek)
0.75 oz bourbon (Woodford)
0.5 oz ruby port ( Noval LBV)
0.75 oz Sweet Vermouth ( Cocchi Vermouth del Torino -- Carpano would be great too)
0.5 oz white creme de cacao
0.375 oz Campari

Stir over ice and garnish with an orange twist.

~ H

Tried taking a picture but way too dark in here.

Drinking a cure for pain at death and co. This is amazing

Any more bars and drinks I should try?

EO
apothoke
Mother's ruin
Atta boy
Dead rabbits
Clover club (Brooklyn)

#2,3,4 are all walking distance.

Which is why the original question had the word more and which is why I was careful to tell you to read the question in context. (Death and co is in nyc and I was asking if there were other drinks I should try in nyc)

But thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try

Last edited:

tdangio

Reaction score

Which is why the original question had the word more and which is why I was careful to tell you to read the question in context. (Death and co is in nyc and I was asking if there were other drinks I should try in nyc)

But thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try

If you like bitter, it's definitely up there towards the top of the bitter scale. The recipe can be found in Beta Cocktails, which is a great book if you want some more bitters focused cocktail recipes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads