1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Just cooked a new batch. Added some allspice, pepper, cardamom and a kaffir lime leaf (removed it after some time) and cut down the gentian root to 8-9g. Pretty good.

Cross-sampled it with some Thomas Henry tonic water (a notch below Fever-Tree in my favorites). Two different worlds. The bottled stuff tastes pretty flat, borderline artificial, compared to the syrup. I guess both camps have their fans. I find the syrup much more refreshing. It also works with less gin and is absolutely refreshing (like fill a caraffe with 150 ml of syrup, 500 ml seltzer, 150 ml or so of London dry gin, ice cubes.. delicious even though the amount of gin is relatively low).

1 person likes this.
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Couldn't find that other purchase thread.. and I think it doesn't hurt to concentrate all the discussion in this thread since the others are basically dead anyway.
    So, since some of you guys (Piob, indesertum, ...) recommended The Botanist, I obviously went looking for it. Prices were pretty high at around 30-35 € / 0.7 L. Then I found a shop which stocked it for 33 € / 1 L (at Helgoland). Had to order a bit more to save on shipment costs and just relied on your recomendations, never had sampled the gin before...

[​IMG]

Was not disappointed. Good gin! The Flor de Caña 7 isn't one of my favorites, but the price was great (17.50 € for 1 L) and it's pretty much only used for Cuba Libres anyway. (FWIW, I'll keep at most three bottles of the Botanist, I've promised at least one of them to my mom ;)).

Thanks for the rec!

2 people like this.
  3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The Botanist seems to have a different bottle now. I think I liked the old squarish one better.

Excellent gin though.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i think they're the same? not sure but i have the one b1os got. was confused at first cuz i was expecting a square bottle. i like it. rather balanced and not overwhelming on any front

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. b1os

b1os Senior member

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Those look nice. All the cocktail bars I've been to use these cheap short champagne coupes with big rolled lips. Dislike (mostly the lips)

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was musing to Mrs. Piob last night that I wonder who's tit these particular glasses are based on.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of my favorite stores in London is Bentley's. They always have a range of cool, manly gifts, especially cocktail related.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Heh, the Botanist has been on my "to try" list for a while now. Also sort of curious about Elephant Gin

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I was given half a dozen of these to experiment with. They've been used only once but I plan to soak in water, dry, then use my kitchen torch to char:

[​IMG]

Also, had this Buffalo Trace in a cask for six weeks and now it's getting orange peel and vanilla bean pods:

[​IMG]

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Hudson made some stuff like that. I haven't played with them. I've got like 10.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm going to fill one with Wiser's 8 y/o this weekend. Might do one with Maker's.

1 person likes this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I harvested this today. Smells so good. I made a manhattan with 2 oz of this, 1 oz of red NP, an eye dropper of my homemade #1 aromatic bitters, and a splash of Luxardo. Once the ice melted a tad it was awesome. So much had evaporated it needed a little H20. When I harvested it was down about 10oz in the bottle so I added back in six oz of water.

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Isn't it mostly alcohol that evaporates?

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No idea on that but it certainly tasted more intense and smoothed out once the ice had melted a bit. The flavour is really nice now, so whatever it was that joined the angles, I've got it tasting nice now.

1 person likes this.
  17. denning

denning Senior member

Three new things. Two new gold rimmed coupes, a set of 45 vintage gold metal arrow shaped cocktail picks, and Bad Dog Bitters sasparilla bitters, and Bitter Tears Cherry Bourbon Vanilla bitters.

Here's a x-post showing three of the new additions in action.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

While out tonight I had the bartender's signature martini. He does two garnishes on a spear. One is a hand stuffed olive with bacon and jalapeno pepper. Tasty but easy to imitate if I wanted. The other is a pearl onion. He skins them then puts them in a vacuum bag with thyme, white wine vinegar, sugar, and water and sous vides them at low temp for 45 minutes. Really pretty tasty and going to experiment making some.

2 people like this.
  19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I like that. Improving the cocktail onion is a noble and easy process. Look at the basics and improve.

3 people like this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Okay, initial run:

the skinned onions
    nice bunch of thyme
    two parts white vinegar
    one part white wine
    .5 part salt

142 in the sous vide to bump it over the "danger zone." 30 minutes.

Pour into container and refrigerate. Tried one today and it was pretty good. Not sure yet about how to tweak recipe and this is very usable.