1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

Yeah, the Diamond Jubilee one is the exact same thing.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Used my Bittercube bitters, the cherry bark/vanilla/cocoa recipe, in a cask aged manhattan. I'm going to put down a batch of bitters with cherry bark as the dominant note today. I'll know by October 1 how it turned out.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Wow, youre lame.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Okay, just got around to doing this. I had no cacao nibs that day, got some, and then forgot about doing this.

So, wild cherry bark, cacao nibs, vanilla bean pod, cinnamon stick, a single clove.

5. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

Just out of curiosity, how much bitters is each batch?

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Just harvested and bottled this as we're about to head out to visit a somm/mixologist friend. Here's the exact recipe:

2 tblsp cacao nibs
    2 tblsp wild cherry bark
    1 fresh vanilla pod (I slit lengthwise and cut in half to fit in jar)
    1 clove
    1 cinnamon stick (again broke into pieces for jar)
    5 oz 51% Kirkland bourbon

Let sit for one month, shook daily for first two weeks, strained. Put 3 oz into a tincture bottle and added .5 oz rich simple as it is quite bitter. This is really layered and fragrant. Need to think of the perfect cocktail to put it in.

1 person likes this.
  7. b1os

b1os Senior member

How is it in an Old Fashioned? I'm sure it works well in it.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'll try it in an OF tonight. I had about 2.5 oz left and gave my friend that. He was like a man on a mission trying to come up with some signature cocktail with it. Nothing noteworthy was concocted but I did say a few times we should try it in just a plain Jane OF as I think the orange rind would mesh well with it. I'll try tonight.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

As suspected. This is awesome in an OF.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

11. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Started 2 shrubs yesterday. A peach and a pineapple. I think the pineapple is going to be too sour for a shrub. Worst case we just won't add vinegar and use it for some sort of syrup. I macerated 6 pounds of peaches for the peach shrub. 3 of us are going to each peel of a quart and make our own variation and use the remaining for a really generic version. We're going to have a contest for best shrub and best use in a cocktail. Should be fun.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I thought you were all emo and Fernet -- too post-cocktail to make shrubs?

Dude. The perfect cocktail for your bitters is clearly Death & Company's 'Cure for Pain', may rendition of which is:

1.25 oz strong rye (Knob Creek)
    0.75 oz bourbon (Woodford)
    0.5 oz ruby port ( Noval LBV)
    0.75 oz Sweet Vermouth ( Cocchi Vermouth del Torino -- Carpano would be great too)
    0.5 oz white creme de cacao
    0.375 oz Campari

Stir over ice and garnish with an orange twist.

~ H

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I am post-cocktail. Thats a bit of a joke. I don't want to sound like an ass I go out 5-6 nights a week. I usually have at least 5-10 drinks every night. I try at least one new thing when I'm out. That could be a spirit, beer, wine, or cocktail. I dont know what to call it, but it is almost like palate fatigue. It gets really overwhelming to process that much new shit. Plus all my friends are the too cool for school mixologists, I can't lose face.

14. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Shrub-a-dub-dub

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added the vinegar today. I'm thinking mescal grand Classico and peach shrub. Maybe add luxardo to round it out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Tried taking a picture but way too dark in here.

Drinking a cure for pain at death and co. This is amazing

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Its awesome, right? One of Death's best.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

So good. The chocolate note especially was very nice. It wasn't on the menu anymore and the bartender had to ask one of the older bartenders

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That recipe seems to call for rather specific brands of alcohol. I wonder if it will taste the same with other brands.

19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

My guess is a no. The penicillin doesn't work.

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Right? With a little bit of Campari bitterness. I often make it when I am not sure whether I want a Manhattan or a Boulevardier and it is after dinner. I'm glad you tried it.

LK, I don't know what they actually use at Death. The Rye is probably Rittenhouse, and I don't know what port they use. I like the winey-ness of an LBV, but they probably use something different. So, in other words, it will of course be different, but will it be a distinction that defines a difference? I don't know. Usually, when my cocktails are brand-specific, it is because there is so little involved and a relatively large proportion of the specified brand (when the brand specificity is the main spirit -- some of the modifiers vary so much that the distinctions can be noted in < 0.25oz).

Milk's Penicillin doesn't work with brands other than the ones Milk used? That was Grouse and Laphroaig, right? I think it is significantly better with Glenlivet Nadurra and Caol Ila.

~ H