1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Same. Broke the glass of my Carl Mertens boston shaker. I use one of these glasses (I think a similar design is available at IKEA). Does the job (though not as nicely) until I'm drunk enough to pay 25 € for the replacement glass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  2. denning

denning Senior member

I was going to order the same tins from Cocktail Kingdom. I like the look of their stuff, but looks can be deceiving. Has anyone ordered anything from them before?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I will admit to rarely using a Boston style shaker and 99% of the time go with a Cobbler.

Strained off the solids from my bitters today. I filled a 4 oz tincture bottle. The wormwood added a little bittering, the cinnamon is dominant but the cloves, star anise, and allspice berries meld to provide nice depth and secondary notes. The orange peel is also a minor note. I'm very happy with my first try and plan to bring the bottle out with me to try at the place we're going for dinner (know the bartender well).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I use 2 metal tins.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I love SSN.

Hunts, what do you think about my idea of cask aging some Trident?

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Hmm, well, for one thing I may not be qualified to opine since I don't drink Cynar. I tasted some once and promptly (and I do mean promptly, like in < 3 minutes) threw up. While wearing a tux. Outside my favorite bar (yes, that bar) where I had quite recently arrived.

The sherry and the Cynar will probably oxidize more; I don't know if that will mellow it out or make it go off.

~ H

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I hate the Boston shaker.

The WMF Parisian Shaker is the best:

[​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Hess created it as a Negroni iteration and that's what made me think of cask aging it as Negroni in a cask is all the rage.

Wow, that is a horrible Cynar story!

Nice lines on that, LK, and nice to see a post from you.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Your posts always have something consistently decadent, LK. Saw my first bottle of Malacca last week, in fact.

The Parisian is a very nice shaker; I have taken to collecting cocktail shakers and have a few WMFs. They do wonderful work, adn cobblers are so much more amenable to design, though the incongruity of the Boston will always appeal to me.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Parisian Shaker takes a bit of practice to use. It seals itself quite tightly once one is done shaking. It also needs to be held very tightly when dry shaking because of the lack of a vacuum.

As for Japanese cobbler shakers, I imagine the prevalence of the Cobbler is due to the preference for the "Hard Shake" over there. You can't do that in a Boston or even the Parisian really.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The hard shake is indeed quite an exhibition. I don't know, however, that it makes the cocktail taste any better, though I did enjoy the experience when I was in Tokyo.

~ H

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Orange/clove bitters this time around.

[​IMG]

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Does anyone make their own brandied cherries?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Have some down right now. Not sure of the recipe as Mrs. Piob did it.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

I suggest adding kirschwasser.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Actually, I know she did add some kirsch. Might have to open a jar this weekend.

1 person likes this.
  18. b1os

b1os Senior member

I don't like the Luxardo maraska cherries nor the Fabbri amarena ones. I love the "Cerises à Paul". It's griottes (sour cherries, I suppose similar to maraska cherries) in sweetened eau de vie/kirschwasser. Nothing else. Fantastic. (210g cherries, 13.125 cl 40% kirsch and sugar)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Mine are "bourbon-ed," but it's pretty damn simple. Pit cherries, cover in a light, non offensive bourbon like makers mark, and let sit. I don't see much need for kirsch because you're basically making your own kirsch.

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

Not really. But I might give bourboned ones a try soon. How long do you let them sit?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013