1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

it's spring time - need a quality pair of Khaki's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mylesmyles, Mar 30, 2006.

1. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior Member

wanted to know where to go for a quality pair of khakis or two - one a medium to dark tan the other an exciting color -whether it be a faded blue - red - or something of that liking. any suggestions - i'd be wearing them with flip flops, sneakers or a pair of driving mocs........

2. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

The concenus (at least on AAAC) is Bill's khakis they also make a light weight pair.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

If you are a 34, I have a brand new with tags pair of RL Made in Italy khaki's I could sell you. Fabric is very nice and smooth, they are medium tan, pleated and slim fitting.

4. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

You have a few choices, depending on your price range:

The best khakis, far and away in my experience, are Bills Khakis. They wear like iron and are extremely well made. They come in two styles, the M1 (baggy) and the M2 (less baggy). Both styles come either pleated or flat front (I strongly prefer flat front for khakis). They do both a twill (the original) and a poplin (along with several other styles including canvas, corduroy, and a few others). Several colors are available (including some seasonal and limited edition colors - I think they are doing a cotton poplin in their version of Nantucket Red this season (called "Weathered Red"), but it may not be available everywhere). You can purchase them off the Bills website here: http://www.billskhakis.com/index.aspx. Even if you don't buy from the website, it will give you a great idea of the range of their offerings.

I've also purchased them from Hansen's Clothing (link here: https://hansensclothing.com/default.asp). The great thing about Hansen's is that they will hem the khakis for you free of charge. You can find them on several other websites, as well as in many local menswear stores (see the Bill's website for locations).

One word of caution. If you have them hemmed prior to washing, be sure to have them hemmed on the long side. In my experience, they will shrink a little bit in the legs (not the waist, however). Hansen's automatically hems them a 1/2" longer to account for this.

At regular price, they are on the expensive side (around $100). You can also find them at a discount at Sierra Trading Post (limited selection and sizes, however). I don't mean to sound like a shill for Bill's, and I don't have any relationship to the company. I just really like 'em.

Another choice is Charleston khakis. They get good reviews from the trad folks, but aren't as widely available as the Bills. Ben Silver sells them, at least in a "Nantucket Red" variety (BS calls these "New England Red"), and I recently purchased a pair. They seem pretty nice, but I haven't had the opportunity to wear them yet. Ben Silver may have other colors, as well, but I haven't really looked.

If you're more budget conscious, I'd suggest LL Bean. Their Double L khaki is a very good buy for the money, and come in a wide variety of colors. You can also look at J Crew (also a wide variety of colors), Polo, and Brooks Brothers (in fact, most menswear companies have their own khaki). I just think LL Bean gives you a terrific bang for the buck.

Undoubtedly, there are designerwear khakis out there which come at a hefty price, but I don't have any experience with these.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Anyone used Lands' End's custom program for trousers?

6. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Borrelli makes khakis/cotton trousers in some great colors for spring and summer. They can be found at lower prices on ebay, and on some of the usual forum favorite sites.

7. seoulfully

seoulfully Senior Member

co-sign on the bill's khaki...

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

I think that Bill's are very overrated on the forum.

They're okay. Construction isn't anything special - certainly no better than you're average outsourced pants. The fabric is fine but again nothing special.

For that much money, you'd be much better off having some made at a reasonably-priced MTM shop e.g. LS.

For ready-to-wear, try J Crew or Banana Republic.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think that Bill's are very overrated on the forum.

They're okay. Construction isn't anything special - certainly no better than you're average outsourced pants. The fabric is fine but again nothing special.

For that much money, you'd be much better off having some made at a reasonably-priced MTM shop e.g. LS.

For ready-to-wear, try J Crew or Banana Republic.

I'm glad you said this because I thought I was the only one who wasn't head over heals with Bill's. I had a pair in my hand once and I could not see the difference between them and the stuff you get at BR or J crew, except the Bill's are more than twice the price. The cut was crappy (don't know whether it was M1 or M2) and they just looked very plain jane.

10. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior Member

I'm glad you said this because I thought I was the only one who wasn't head over heals with Bill's. I had a pair in my hand once and I could not see the difference between them and the stuff you get at BR or J crew, except the Bill's are more than twice the price. The cut was crappy (don't know whether it was M1 or M2) and they just looked very plain jane.

I agree as well. I don't see what all the fuss is about Bill's khakis. They're not bad pants, but way over priced and even their M2 cut is baggy. I don't think they look good at all after about 2 hours of wearing.

11. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

Great. I just ordered my first pair of Bill's about 30 minutes ago.

Seriously, they fit me great, and the construction seems far better than my new Polos.

12. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

All I can say is that, in my experience, Bills are terrific. They wear great and last forever (and I've owned khakis from Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, and RL - Bills blow them out of the water). I like the way the M2 fits me. That said, I'm sure they're not for everyone, and there's a large contingent on this forum who hate khakis in general. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

13. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

All I can say is that, in my experience, Bills are terrific. They wear great and last forever (and I've owned khakis from Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, and RL - Bills blow them out of the water). I like the way the M2 fits me. That said, I'm sure they're not for everyone, and there's a large contingent on this forum who hate khakis in general. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

I feel better now.

14. Jameson

Jameson Member

Anyone see the latest GQ (or esquire cant remember) with the article on Khakis?

THe Zegna one ($310 I think) looked great.

I am looking for a pair with some good cotton that drapes nicely with a nice sheen to it.

I have JCrew, banana rep., and Polo they all feel stiff and rough. I want a nice pair for this year and would be willing to spend.

Any ideas?

JC

15. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior Member

Brooks Brothers khakis are very nice.