It's raining, it's pouring: An informal poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mbc, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mbc

mbc Senior member

I'm curious to know what sort of dress shoes other forum members keep in their collections specifically for rainy days. I used to have a pair of poorly made chelseas with rubber soles for just such an occasion, but they've finally worn out. Anybody from precipitation-prone regions of the world care to comment?

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

E Park Aves if I plan to do a lot of walking. If I'm not planning to be outside much, I'll wear any of my shoes.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Sutor Mantellasi chuka boots, with an added rubber sole. Bought cheap on STP. Or galoshes. [​IMG]

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I rotate this group

2 pair J. Fenestrier demi-chasse with storm soles
    2 pair Paraboot Avingon with storm sole
    C&J Onslow in tan scotch grain with dainite sole
    Edward Green Westminster with dainite sole
    JL Tamar derby in country calf with rubber sole

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pair of cheapo Rockports.

And with that, I bring down the average value of the shoes in this thread considerably.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

JM Weston Chasse
    Branchini Norvegese Boots

In reality, I avoid the rain and park underground and take an elevator.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

One of my two pairs of Eccos. I wonder if they're cheaper than the Rockports.

--Andre

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I don't shy away from monks and boots with leather soles, actually, unless it's really pouring. In which case I probably wear:

Dainite sole EG Inverness
    Rubber sole Premiata boots
    various Converse/Puma/Asics

and wool socks, for sure.

9. darck

darck Well-Known Member

10. dorian

dorian Senior member

I don't own any shoes with rubber soles, so anything is game.

The darker the leather, the better... unless caught with two pairs of edwardians, then go for what feels best at the time. [​IMG]

11. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

One thing to add - I like when shoes actually feel the vagaries of the real world. It develops their soul.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

One thing to add - I like when shoes actually feel the vagaries of the real world. It develops their soul.
    That may be the dorkiest thing that I have read on here, but I agree. I should amend my earlier post to say that during the week I wear the same shoes that I would normally wear. On the weekends I wear the above listed rugged shoes if it is raining.

13. Shoe-nut

Shoe-nut Senior member

I had never worn decent shoes in the rain till last month when I went out with some brown AE's and well they got screwed. Serious water stains here and there that wouldn't go away no matter how much I treated them. So out with oxblood stain wax and some cordovan too. It didn't take away the stains but it effectively hid them and a lesson learned no more rain for good shoes just my black Corcoran Military Boots on those days from now on.

14. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

[​IMG] I can relate. Rain does not keep me from wearing good shoes with leather soles. May favorite pair of EG Ladbrokes in Burnt Pine has seen many long rainy days, especially in London. It has not harmed the shoes one bit. However, snowy conditions are a different story. It can be life threatening to walk on snow and ice in leather sole shoes, so for those conditions I own several pairs of JLs (and one EG) with rubber sole. I've also got a few pairs of nice galoshes, but I have hardly ever used them.

15. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

I had never worn decent shoes in the rain till last month when I went out with some brown AE's and well they got screwed. Serious water stains here and there that wouldn't go away no matter how much I treated them. So out with oxblood stain wax and some cordovan too. It didn't take away the stains but it effectively hid them and a lesson learned no more rain for good shoes just my black Corcoran Military Boots on those days from now on.
    I'm sorry to hear your story with the water stained pair. However, I am confident that there is hope. What you do is soak the whole shoe in water with a tiny amount of mild hair shampoo and rub the stained area gently with a sponge. Rinse them with fresh water and let them drip off for a while. When they are drip dry insert shoe trees and apply a good amount of wax to the upper (yes, while they are still wet!). Now let them dry in peace. Once the whole shoe is dry you'll be surprised to see that the wax sunk all into the leather. The stains should be gone. Now polish the shoe (you can treat it with leather conditioner if that makes you feel better). A certain individual may condemn the look as "gaudy", but I can positively say that a good spit shine saves your shoe from water stains.