1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

It's Happening...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tck13, Mar 28, 2006.

1. justlurkingthanks

justlurkingthanks Senior member

I can see people wearing a suit tucking their shirts back in. At some point a woman is going to ask him if he's a moron and that's it, the shirt goes in.

But I'm afraid the Stripey Flag will still wave free in bars across America for the forseeable future.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Eh, I don't see this changing anything in the foreseeable future unfortunately.

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I'm not a fan of this Katherine Wheelock. Didn't she write the same column last year? She just updated the cultural references slightly.

Yeah, leaving a shirt untucked with your suit is dumb, particularly if it has a long hem. Leaving a button-front casual shirt untucked is fine, and has been for at least 15 years.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I just bought a new, short tailed casual shirt.

4. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Dude,
    I am sorry but this chick is irritating. I can't stand these articles that proclaim which trends are alive and dead. If you are moderately stylish you don't need an article to tell you when something looks ubiquotus.

As for this suit with untucked shirt thing. If you think it looks good keep doing it I guess. I feel like it must look kind of funny with the jacket on. As for the untucking of the shirt, this girl is just...wrong if she thinks that as a general rule every man alive needs to start tucking in his shirt at all times. There are a lot of times when your average, normal, non-up-tight-ask-andy-reading type untucks his shirt and would look just plain weird if he didn't.

I think it's pretty rare that a tucked shirt with jeans looks good, for example. Maybe if you are going to certain restaurants? Or if you want to show of your belt. However, I think it looks fine/good if you leave it out.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Katharine Wheelock is that person who wrote the article about how cufflinks should be only worn by middle-aged philanderers.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Katharine Wheelock is that person who wrote the article about how cufflinks should be only worn by middle-aged philanderers.
    Beat me to it.

7. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

It's as if she thinks middle-aged philanderers are a bad thing... And she may have a boomerang effect, inspiring philanderer wannabes to go with Freedom Cuffs.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That person is likely bitter.

9. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

She crosses the line saying that shirts should be tucked into jeans.

10. Charley

Charley Senior member

Whenever I see the unTucked dress shirt, I first think of someone who was in too much of a hurry to leave the public restroom after a good sitdown. It makes me wonder what in the world would have caused them to be in such a rush that they could not take the time to properly tuck in that shirt. Otherwise, why would they choose to look so slovenly?

11. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

For once, I'm sympathetic to Wheelock's PoV. The trouble is that it's an example of too much black-and-white thinking. Sometimes shirts look good tucked in, other times they don't. If they're long dress shirts with shaped hems, they look silly untucked because they go half way down your thighs. But if it's a polo or something else knit, then tucking it in will make you look like Simon Cowell. Oh... and she's another one that doesn't know the difference between "button down" and "button front." Now that really gets on my tits.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

That's Wheelock's schtick, I guess; like sports talk radio guys who make sweeping generalizations that are always going to find an exception, or just be wrong. I have to say, when it come to jeans, I mostly tuck when I'm wearing a sportcoat. Unless the hem is really short, a dress shirt hem really throws off the balance of the jacket. I don't think I've ever tucked a polo with jeans. Just buy short polos.

Also, a guy who tucks a shirt into his low-slung jeans (as she suggests) will look just as out of proportion as the great untucked masses she's worried about.

13. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

I get my shirts cut pretty short from Jantzen, sort of just-long-enough for a proper tuck. I hate that 'billowing' look more than anything. So I wear the shirts untucked over jeans, with or without a blazer, but anything more than jeans, and the shirt goes in.
    Tucking into jeans seems like wearing a tie with jeans: possibly very cool, yet extremely hard to pull off for all but a certain type of man.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Dude,
    I am sorry but this chick is irritating. I can't stand these articles that proclaim which trends are alive and dead. If you are moderately stylish you don't need an article to tell you when something looks ubiquotus.

As for this suit with untucked shirt thing. If you think it looks good keep doing it I guess. I feel like it must look kind of funny with the jacket on. As for the untucking of the shirt, this girl is just...wrong if she thinks that as a general rule every man alive needs to start tucking in his shirt at all times. There are a lot of times when your average, normal, non-up-tight-ask-andy-reading type untucks his shirt and would look just plain weird if he didn't.

I think it's pretty rare that a tucked shirt with jeans looks good, for example. Maybe if you are going to certain restaurants? Or if you want to show of your belt. However, I think it looks fine/good if you leave it out.

Oh, I agree there. Might as well go for the whole J. Seinfeld look and wear white plastic running shoes, a mullet and a bright sportcoat with the dress shirt tucked in your jeans![​IMG]