Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

It's getting colder, What are the best boots for fall/winter?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ssnyc, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

As I type, it's a brisk 65 degrees in NYC. I'm trying to get a jump on the cold weather by shopping for boots now. I've been stomping around in my Common Projects mid-top Military Trainers during the messy winter months. I think its now time to upgrade.

My only requirements are:

Somewhat durable and somewhat good looking.

I've been looking at:
    Red Wing 875 which satisfy the former but maybe not the latter?
    [​IMG]
    A.P.C. Leather sole work boots look nice but fragile...
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

I went with the Red Wings pictured above (J.Crew version). I think they'll be great for winter, I'm just trying to figure out what jeans will work best with the clunkiness of the boot.

3. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

Yeah, I wouldn't trust those APC's to get me through to spring, let alone the next several years.

4. blynch

blynch Senior member

A few recent boot threads with good ideas, might check those out.
    PS Ricards and W&H service boots would be my top choices for style and durability.

5. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I think the LL Bean Katahdin boot is the best choice for winter wear. $159 for a killer boot, goodyear welt, US made and it looks good too. I wore mine all last winter whenever snow was on the ground and will probably do the same this year to save the wear and tear on my nicer Alden boots. I think this boot is the best deal going.

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Leather soles could be a bad choice (terrible on icy/sand and they'll soak up moisture, requiring them to be placed in a wide rotation so they can dry) not to mention you aren't going to want to get your expensive fashion-y boots [W+H/PS] covered in mud/salt/nastiness. Red Wing's GT and LL Bean Iron Works (Katahdin) get a lot of praise

7. drewdub

drewdub Active Member

I think the LL Bean Katahdin boot is the best choice for winter wear. $159 for a killer boot, goodyear welt, US made and it looks good too. I wore mine all last winter whenever snow was on the ground and will probably do the same this year to save the wear and tear on my nicer Alden boots. I think this boot is the best deal going.

quoted for truth. Used these last winter in Chicago, they are money. I think they look great and are genuinely comfortable. I look forward to wearing them.

8. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

9. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Something from LL Bean. Maybe katahdins, but I think I can pull off duck boots, and they're cheaper.

10. dibadiba

dibadiba Affiliate Vendor

I don't know why you would want a leather soled boot at any point during winter, especially if you encounter any ice or show. I'd even say the crepe soles on some red wings might not be wise if you're in a particularly icy area. I have the 1906's and they keep out rain and the elements really well though

11. riraito

riraito Senior member

As much as I hate newbie threads, I love reading about boots for fall. hahaha. I actually just ordered katahdins because of this thread.

I am also thinking about getting the obenauf small care pack.. is it worth it? the only leather products I have are a tanner belt/basic cardholder and these boots

I would pick up red wings if they had my size..

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

13. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Any Russell Moccasin boot with with a double vamp. I got my pair of hikers just before summer and I've barely been able to wear them because they're so warm my feet overheat. I'm thinking they'll be fantastic when it gets a little colder, however.

edit: Get something with a commando sole also. The crepe sole on the Red Wings is okay in the winter but they don't have the best traction. But in commando soled boots I've walked up icy hills without much trouble. I wouldn't even consider a leather sole for winter (as some have already pointed out).