1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

It's College Baseball Season Boys

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by FLMountainMan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Any other fans? Anyone? Anyone?

Yes, I know the aluminum bats go "ping", but if you live in a college town, there are few finer ways to spend a nice spring day than at the ballpark. And FSU will probably take the top spot this week. I know we'll flame out before we even get to the CWS, as we always do, but it'll be a fun road there.

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Crazy enough, I love MLB and hate college baseball. I hate the NBA but love college basketball.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yes, I know the aluminum bats go "ping", but if you live in a college town, there are few finer ways to spend a nice spring day than at the ballpark. And FSU will probably take the top spot this week. I know we'll flame out before we even get to the CWS, as we always do, but it'll be a fun road there.

I'm a fran. Tech has a real nice stadium and is close to where I live. GSU (IIRC) may have a decent team this year too.

but if you live in a college town, there are few finer ways to spend a nice spring day than at the ballpark. And FSU will probably take the top spot this week. I know we'll flame out before we even get to the CWS, as we always do, but it'll be a fun road there.

There is so much wisdom and experience in this quote it is amazing.

4. edinatlanta

FWIW: LSU is tops in Baseball News and USA Today's rankings, UVA number one in Baseball America and FSU is either #2-3.

5. FLMountainMan

FWIW: LSU is tops in Baseball News and USA Today's rankings, UVA number one in Baseball America and FSU is either #2-3.

Wow, I guess a perfect record, including an absolute ass-hammering of Georgia this past weekend, isn't enough to improve our ranking.

Ga Tech always has a nice team it seems, good pitching. Didn't Nomar go there?

6. edinatlanta

Wow, I guess a perfect record, including an absolute ass-hammering of Georgia this past weekend, isn't enough to improve our ranking.

Yes.

What I love about college baseball is a team can be 9-4 yet ranked ahead of undefeated teams in the same conference. The rankings are such utter shit in baseball, more than in other sports.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm a fan. I don't follow it as closely as other sports, but it's always a good way to spend an afternoon.

Great post.

Nominee for worst post ever.

8. edinatlanta

This threak shows that all the Southern white guys on here are exactly alike.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

This threak shows that all the Southern white guys on here are effing awesome.

FTFY

10. FLMountainMan

Nominee for worst post ever.

Sorry, Mr.G, but Jacksonville University gave us a better game than ya'll.

This threak shows that all the Southern white guys on here are exactly alike.

No, not really. MrG and I are actually likeable.

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

It's hard to get excited about summer sports being snowed out in the upper half of the country.

12. FLMountainMan

It's hard to get excited about summer sports being snowed out in the upper half of the country.

You chose to live there. You're only hope is global warming. If I were you I'd be driving a hummer around.

13. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

14. MrG

MrG Senior member

Sorry, Mr.G, but Jacksonville University gave us a better game than ya'll.

Yeah, it was ugly. I don't get UGA baseball sometimes. It's like they're incapable of keeping up their intensity. They don't even play to their competition; they just take games, sometimes an entire series, off.

Haha. Burn.

15. edinatlanta

no

I feel sorry for you.

Haha. Burn.

[​IMG]

16. MrG

MrG Senior member

[​IMG]

Don't be sad, Ed. I was just pointing out a good burn when I saw it.

17. edinatlanta

The ACC is ridiculously good this year.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

wait, there's college baseball? and i thought HS prospects just went straight to the MLB draft. you learn something new every day [​IMG]

19. FLMountainMan

The ACC is ridiculously good this year.

No doubt. Even with UNC in the toilet (and FSU's recent slide), the rest of the teams are strong.

Gawd, I hate all the polls. Almost as bad as boxing. Anyway, here is Baseball America's Poll. ACC is top heavy, but still strong. Five of the top twenty, three of the top six.

Have to admit though, the SEC is almost as good this year.

1 Arizona St. 31-3 25 3
    2 Virginia 29-9 24 2
    3 Texas 30-7 23 4
    4 Georgia Tech 31-5 22 5
    5 UCLA 27-5 21 1
    6 Florida St. 28-9 20 6
    7 Florida 25-10 19 7
    8 LSU 30-6 18 8
    9 Arkansas 31-6 17 9
    10 South Carolina 28-8 16 10

11 TCU 27-7 15 11
    12 Coastal Caro. 32-5 14 12
    13 Louisville 29-6 13 13
    14 Miami (Fla.) 27-9 12 15
    15 California 22-11 11 21
    16 Cal St. Fullerton 20-13 10 22
    17 Arizona 26-9 9 24
    18 Oregon 23-12 8 NR
    19 Mississippi 24-13 7 14
    20 Virginia Tech 25-13 6 20
    21 Connecticut 27-7 5 25
    22 Stanford 18-13 4 NR
    23 Vanderbilt 29-9 3 NR
    24 Oklahoma 26-10 2 16
    25 Southeastern La. 29-9 1 NR

20. FLMountainMan

And FSU will probably take the top spot this week. I know we'll flame out before we even get to the CWS, as we always do, but it'll be a fun road there.

We were a top five team a week ago. We needed to win one game (out of three) at Clemson to lock up the Atlantic title. Hosting a superregional was a possibility, things looked great, I was contemplating taking off work to go to the games. I was almost optimistic about our postseason chances. It was sort of counterintuitive genius - we weren't supposed to be very good this season, so maybe we would exceed expectations and advance far (as opposed to our usual talent-laden teams flaming out early in the postseason)?

Clemson swept our sorry asses. Then we lost last night in the first game of the ACC Tournament to hated Miami. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]