• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Itchy skin

Mayday981

Reaction score
Hi, does anybody here have any problems with dry skin? I've been having a problem with dry skin especially on my lower left leg and my butt. I don't know why but it gets so itchy and I keep scratching it over and over. I've scratched it to the point where my skin starts bleeding. This probelm has been going on a for a few months and I was wondering if there is anybody experiencing the same things or have any recommendations for products.

I have a feeling it may also be due to my pants. For most of my life I've always worn really loose jeans and lately I bought New Standars, Sugarcanes, where it is tight but not tight where I can't button up my pants. For some reason my skin seems to get much itchier after I wear my jeans. Does anybody else have the same problem?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have this problem as well, since dry weather causes an itch. My remedy is to apply moisturizer to skin after a shower. Anthony Logistics has worked well, however recently I switched to Nivea, which comes in a huge bottle and works out decently as well.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mayday981
Hi, does anybody here have any problems with dry skin? I've been having a problem with dry skin especially on my lower left leg and my butt. I don't know why but it gets so itchy and I keep scratching it over and over. I've scratched it to the point where my skin starts bleeding. This probelm has been going on a for a few months and I was wondering if there is anybody experiencing the same things or have any recommendations for products. I have a feeling it may also be due to my pants. For most of my life I've always worn really loose jeans and lately I bought New Standars, Sugarcanes, where it is tight but not tight where I can't button up my pants. For some reason my skin seems to get much easier after I wear my jeans. Does anybody else have the same problem?
I've had very dry skin and lotions usually take care of it but severe dry skin should be looked at by a dermatologist. (Currently using Anthony's Logistics and/or Jack Black) It could be many things as being allergic to a new laundry soap, dryer sheet, change in the weather... Just a side note, I had "itchiness" for several months in the same places on my body which wouldn't go away. When I went to get it checked by my dermatologist (because nothing I did made it go away), he diagnosed me with very minor excema. Excema usually starts in the folds of the body (elbows, behind knees, balls/butt, underarms, arm creases) Maybe a possiblilty?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this might also be caused by fungi, or skin asthma. its better to have your skin checked.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the weather like where you live? Residential heating systems used during the colder months can dry out your skin overnight, particularly if you're not hydrating enough during the day. If that's the case, humidifiers may help. Ditto on getting checked out by a doctor, though.

Mayday981

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. I tried the moisturizer but my skin still feels itchy. I will probably be going to check a dermatologist in two weeks after I get my paycheck.

I live in Los Angeles, California. I never used to have such dry skin till I came back to Los Angeles two years ago. Before that I was attending University of California, Santa Barbara which is right by the beach and I didn't have any such dry skin or itchiness problems. Then when I came back I would have dry skin from time to time. This year for some reason it's the worst.

Mayday981

Reaction score
ok guys I finally went to my school's health services. Apparently, it's some sort of fungus. The PA prescribed some cream to add on and has told me to use Aveeno bath wash. She says Aveeno seems to help the body because of the oatmeal in it. Oh and she said that if I had waited longer than today my fungus might've turned to excema. She said Excema is when it's really a bad breakout. Anyways, thanks for all your input guys. From now on if I have any skin conditions I"m going straight to my school's health services.

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
Try swallowing four tablespoons of Flaxseed oil/day and drink a lot of water.

Most skin stuff is best fixed from the inside out.

Mayday981

Reaction score
Man, this fungus is one tough organism. It's been two days and I've been applying the cream. My butt feels a lot better and less itchy. Still itchy at some times but less than before. My leg on the other hand seems to have gotten a lot more itchier. And I want to scratch it so bad. I'm going to have to buy some gardening gloves at an Ace hardware store so I don't scratch this thing. It's so damn annoying. Anyways, I'm trying to drink a lot of water too. Hopefully this thing will go away by Christmas!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man, this fungus is one tough organism. It's been two days and I've been applying the cream. My butt feels a lot better and less itchy. Still itchy at some times but less than before. My leg on the other hand seems to have gotten a lot more itchier. And I want to scratch it so bad. I'm going to have to buy some gardening gloves at an Ace hardware store so I don't scratch this thing. It's so damn annoying. Anyways, I'm trying to drink a lot of water too. Hopefully this thing will go away by Christmas!

Did the doctor say what caused the fungus?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok guys I finally went to my school's health services. Apparently, it's some sort of fungus. The PA prescribed some cream to add on and has told me to use Aveeno bath wash. She says Aveeno seems to help the body because of the oatmeal in it. Oh and she said that if I had waited longer than today my fungus might've turned to excema. She said Excema is when it's really a bad breakout. Anyways, thanks for all your input guys. From now on if I have any skin conditions I"m going straight to my school's health services.

I'm not a doctor, but the above sounds funny to me. I've never heard of fungus causing or "turning to" eczema. It doesn't sound like you saw an actual doctor (but forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the above). If I were you, I'd go to a dermatologist and get a second opinion.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have had problems with dry skin and this time of year it seems to get worse. We have used an over the counter lotion called Lac-hydrine. It is a bit expensive but surely does the job. Apply to damp skin after showering and I'm sure you will find relief.

Best Regards,

Gary

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I'm not a doctor, but the above sounds funny to me. I've never heard of fungus causing or "turning to" eczema. It doesn't sound like you saw an actual doctor (but forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the above). If I were you, I'd go to a dermatologist and get a second opinion.

You can get fungus that makes your skin dry out and flake, thus seriously exacerbating the problem. Ringworm (tinea corporis) is the most common. You can use the same creams you use for athletes foot, or scrub your body using Nizoral as a body wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads