• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Itchy scalp when growing long hair?

AndrewST

Reaction score
I've decided to grow out my hair, and right now, it's longer than it has been in over 20 years. My scalp is getting itchy though and I'm wondering if it's because of my hair, or what. I'm using cheap 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner (my excuse is, since my hair is usually very short, I don't need anything fancy) - anyway, I suspect it's probably time for an upgrade. FWIW, I shampoo/condition 2x a week and take a warm shower everyday. Product is an American Crew cream and I brush everyday. I'm in my mid-20s with good hair though and lots is falling out - surprising, because everyone in my family has thick, coarse growth. Was I not made to grow long hair?

That may be a lot to take in. Hoping to hear your thoughts on what I should be doing and what might reduce the itching.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a medicated over-the-counter shampoo (which has "active ingredient" on the label) doesn't fix that, go to a dermatologist. Scalp conditions can cause both itching and hair loss.

AndrewST

Reaction score
If a medicated over-the-counter shampoo (which has "active ingredient" on the label) doesn't fix that, go to a dermatologist. Scalp conditions can cause both itching and hair loss.

Do you have any recommendations? FWIW, this only happens with my hair grows longer than 3 inches.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A shampoo that has at least 1% zinc.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how longer hair = dry scalp. That makes no sense. I'd either look for a different shampoo, something to moisturize your scalp, or see a dermatologist as suggested above.

As far as hair falling out, one can lose about 50 to 100 hairs per day which you might think is a lot but is probably normal. If you start seeing thinner patches or sections then you're probably experiencing male pattern baldness.

Last edited:

JimmyLegacy

Reaction score
It could just be your head is getting hotter due to having more hair. If you're used to having very short hair or buzzed and now you are growing it, this is most likely the issue. I have had this exact problem and with increased temp your scalp can dry out or get irritated.

A good quality conditioner might help but what worked for me was a scalp serum. The one I used was Satinique Scalp Serum and it's actually made by Amway.... Or you can google scalp serums and see what you come up with. The satinique one did wonders for me.... changed my life within 2 days.

Good Luck

XFactor

Reaction score
Its due to Scalp drying too much.

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - Lightly warm preferable.

Massage it into scalp with finger tips - Keep for 30-40 mins and shower - Dont try to shampoo it out completely.

markbrown

Reaction score
Well I think shampoo is ok but you should try something natural.. Like yogurt massage and Dabur amla oil massage for your dry scalp..
Its help you to resolve this scalp issue which you have..
I have this same remedy for my hairs and I am feeling really good..

Edwardmckee

Reaction score
This might be your shampoo. Why don't you change your shampoo and check the results and as a suggestion use a shampoo that is based on natural ingrediants rather a set of some chemicals.

CrimmyS

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to bump an old topic. I saw this and thought I could add some info if you haven't already solved the issue. Might also be useful to any other guys wondering this on this forum. This is not a definitive guide but what I understand so far.

Shampoo basics: There are generally three kinds of shampoos to be aware of. You can identify them by their ingredients and google will be a better friend than my memory right now.
  • no-poo: Very gentle. Generally doesn't strip your hair of oils and hair products like other shampoos do. Easier on the scalp and less drying to your actual hair. However, it wall not wash certain things out of your hairs. With few exceptions, anything that's not water soluble isn't going to come off. This will cause buildup and leave your hair looking less than ideal. If I remember correctly, it doesn't lather much if at all.
  • low-poo: Has some agents that cause lather and clean the way we typically imagine soaps and such cleaning. Not as strong as a clarifying shampoo. Dries hair more than no-poo but also cleans more.
  • clarifying: Generally the harshest on your hair/scalp but pretty much gets rid of all products, silicones, etc. A lot of people seem to have problems with clarifying shampoos because they're generally so harsh on the scalp and such. However, depending on what products you use, you may have to use this kind of shampoo to clear them of your hair/scalp.
  • Protein: I'm not really familiar with how shampoos with protein work with hair but keep in mind if your shampoo has any. You can search this yourself. I know some people have hair issues when there are proteins, and others need them in their shampoo.
Conditioner Basics:
  • Some conditioners have silicones that require a clarifying shampoo or low-poo to be removed. Others are formulated to wash out with water alone.
  • Different conditioners have different properties. Some are more "slippery" which makes it easier to detangle your hair while showering.
  • Two decent, cheap ones that come to mind are Suave Naturals Coconut and Inecto Coconut
Hair Products:
  • Certain products are formulated with silicones that are not water soluble. Certain hair types benefit from this, others do not.
  • Some are formulated to wash out with no-poo/lo-poo routines. These are generally better because you're not using harsher agents on your scalp/hair to remove them.
  • Understand what products you are using and what you need to use to wash them out. Opt for things that require no-poo/low-poo.
  • Make sure you have a good gel if you use one. I think i remember reading gels with alcohols and such are easy to flake. Maybe this is what you're seeing? Or perhaps your cream?
How to shampoo/condition your hair:
  • Wet hair then use a tiny amount of shampoo and massage it into your scalp. You should not get much, if any, lather. Only work your scalp, and be gentle.
  • Again use a tiny amount of shampoo and do the same. Even though you're using a tiny amount this time, you will notice lather. Again, only work your scalp, then rinse.
  • Add conditioner; start from the ends and work toward the roots. Stop about an inch or two from the roots.
  • Let it sit in your hair while you wash your body.
  • Rinse your hair. If you use a leave in after, you can rinse more of it out, but it's not a bad thing to have some of it not rinsed out.
  • Apply whatever, leave in, mousse, gel. Wrap your hair in a t-shirt (towel is rough and might make your hair frizzy) for 10 minutes. Unwrap. You can gently dry it with a hair dryer or let it air dry. At a little more product. Go easy on gel in general, btw.
Routine: You can get away with shampooing your hair once a week, or even twice. If you need to wash it any more than this you can try co-washing (can google it). Basically that's washing your hair with only conditioner. I would try shampooing twice a week if I were you. You might be used to washing it ever day like when you had short hair, but I pretty much stopped having flakes after switching shampoos/conditioner and shampooing less often.

In your case, I wonder if the flakes maybe just don't get caught in your hair while it's short. Longer hair makes it harder for things to "fall/wash out". Like mentioned before, I can't imagine why your scalp would be worse with longer hair.

You lose hair every day. The less you wash/brush it, the more you'll find when you do. It's even worse when your hair is curly or wavy because it won't leave your head until you wash or brush it. People with straight hair might notice it as much because when it falls out, it doesn't get caught.

Just don't wear tight pony tails and such. That's going to reduce your hairline and freak you out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads