• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italy - what are people wearing?

feltva

Reaction score
Question for the members:

Going to Venice/Florence/Sienna in a week.  Will be spending all my time hanging out - no business attire.  I'm wondering if any members know what most people are wearing there these days.  

Anyone been there in the past year and noticed what a decent outfit would be to wear while hanging out in these areas?  

Thanks in advance for the words.

Arizona's Finest

Reaction score
Feltva,

In response to your getaway to Italy, keep me posted on what is it like down there (I am in Sweden). I will be traveling to Rome in 2 months so keep me posted.

Many regards

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What an appropriate question. I've been in Italy for the past three weeks (Florence and Milan) and was about to write a post on Italian fashion, but since you asked first...

Italian casual is much more formal than anywhere I've seen. Men are wearing tight bootcut or pegleg jeans, either in dark blue or a semi-distressed fashion; no heavily battered Diesels. Levi's (507 and 501) and Replay are favorites. As for shoes, pointy toed black or vintage brown boots are prevalent. A quality pair can be purchased for around 120 euro.

The most popular fashion right now is highly stylized shirts. I've seen shirts with as many as four buttons on the collar, double collars, and contrasting stitching on buttons and seems. Patterns are bold diagonal checks and strips, usually in bright reds and light blue. The only word to describe the collars is BIG. Expect to pay no more than 80 euro, and at the least 35 euro for shirts.

The main thing that sets apart Italian men is the coats. I've yet to see more than a handfull of locals in leather coats. Everyone is wearing wool overcoats, 3/4 length, in every color except for black. Olive, brown, navy, and camel are the colors of choice. A great coat can be had for 150-250 euro.

Any more questions, just ask..

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to see the height of elegant casual dressing, check out a 40's + Italian gentleman in Siena. It was truly something to see...and brown shoes with navy is the norm in Italy.

feltva

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response.  Much appreciated

If there are any more members out there with the inside scoop, please post.

Thanks

bellerofonte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
If you want to see the height of elegant casual dressing, check out a 40's + Italian gentleman in Siena. It was truly something to see...and brown shoes with navy is the norm in Italy.

I live near Siena and agree with you. Have you ever seen people's dress in Empoli?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics