• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italy Trip.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I've done a lot of AirBnB in Italy and overall it's getting better. Rome seems to be the worst (I mostly stay in Trastevere too), the apartments tend to have more (minor) issues than other places eg issues with the boiler, leaking shower hose and iffy wifi in the last place. By contrast, Bologna, Modena and Milan were much better and cheaper. Turin/ Piedmont last month was ok too.

I booked my place 6+ months in advance, so there were a number to choose from. That said, I saw a lot of places that (even with nice pictures and decent reviews) appeared to be in a bit of disrepair. I think that's par for the course with AirBnB, however. No real way to ensure quality control.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not for everyone, obviously, but I had tremendous luck with AirBNB in Rome in October. Was able to get a 2 bedroom, 3 story apartment with a rooftop garden in Trastevere for <$200 USD a night. It helped that it was shoulder season, and I again understand many appreciate the comforts of a hotel, but the place was very well-furnished and three blocks up from the Tiber. As someone who never tries to spend much time in my room while in Italy, it was more than adequate.

I also had great luck with Air BNB in Rome October, 2014.

MaxJ

Reaction score
You have to go to Florence! Rome is great but Florence is on a whole other level. Its the real Italy. Lake Garda is also beautiful if you get a chance to visit there!

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florence may be a great town but I would hesitate to call it the real Italy.

thecuff

Reaction score
I also had a positive experience with AirBnB in Rome. I was a stones throw from Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, etc. but felt like a local living on one of the quieter side streets. It was cheaper than a hotel and our land lady was very accommodating and kept the place in great shape. Of course the most important thing was seeing the city itself, which was even more amazing than advertised.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Planning a trip to the south this July, for about two weeks. Thinking mostly Sicily, not sure about Naples. One problem is getting there - we usually fly CX HKG to either Milan or Rome, these are the only direct flights from Hong Kong. We can fly Lufthansa to Palermo via Munich or Frankfurt. Assuming we want to keep using Cathay, then we would have to trek from Rome to Palermo. Flights would be most direct/ quickest obviously, but trains would allow a stopover in say Naples.

soender

Reaction score
Italy being its charming self, I would be a bit cautious over summer periods, and plan my trip as directly as possible.

Last edited:

Camilo

Reaction score
Bump. I'm going to Italy for two weeks, mostly to Sicily. Any ideas what cities I should be staying in? I'm planning to do 3 days Milan, 3 days Naples, so that leaves basically a week in Sicily. I'm thinking that leaves me enough time for two cities to stay at plus day trips. Palermo ... what else? I'd like to see Mt. Etna and a good beach. No idea about this part of Italy and yes I've seen the Sicily tailors thread.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are reconciled to the fact that you won't be able to 'see everything' , then 2 or 3 bases are fine. I'd recommend (apart from Palermo)

Erice (hill town)/ Trapani (bigger town at bottom of the Funiculare)
Agrigento - Valley of the Temples, agriturismo
Etna - agriturismo, Gole
Syracusa/ Messina/ Taormina (best cannoli ever)
Cefalu or Catania for beaches (I went to the former)

Camilo

Reaction score
Thanks, I will focus my research on those locations. I imagine Etna is doable as a day-trip from one of these towns? Google says the base of Mt Etna is near Catania and there are treks leading out from that city.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent a couple weeks in Sicily a few years ago, before the StyFo Sicilian tailor zeitgeist.

Siracusa is worth spending a day or two in.

Palermo and Monreale have a bunch of great cathedrals. You probably need 3 days to cover them.

Agrigento is good day spent. Sicilian train infrastructure is...interesting. It actually was easier for me, not renting a car, to do it by train from Palermo, which is non-intuitive.

Etna is very close to Catania

Taormina is Sicily at its most touristy - there are likely ways to do Etna as a day trip from there given how much tourist infrastructure is there.

Siracusa / Agrigento - you should hit at least one of the two to get a feel for the Greek history in Sicily. At the other historical end, Palermo for the Norman influence

Try to make it via Villa Romana del Casale for the mosaics. Basically, a very high level 4th century Roman estate

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads