1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Italy for 2 weeks at the end of the year

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GQgeek, Jun 22, 2003.

1. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I was hoping to make Florence more than just a day trip - maybe three days or is that too many? I wanted to go to Milan because I wanted to go to La Scala. I was thinking of spending one night in Venice; someone had told me that staying in the island across from Venice was much better, is that right, and which island is that exactly please?

Thanks for the hints so far. So Bellagio is the best base for Lake Como?

2. leon12

leon12 Senior Member

I think you could spend more time in Florence if you really want to.. many people love it because it is such a quaint renaissance town. With so much to see in Italy, especially Rome, I feel like your time could be better spent elsewhere.

In one day in Florence I spent a great deal of time in the Boboli Gardens, saw everything I needed to see of the Duomo, walked from one edge of town to the other, did the Uffizi/David, and shopped the Ponte Vecchio. We also stopped for lunch and a full dinner with gelato on the banks of the Arno. That was pretty close to everything Florence had to offer.

Florence is a great "base" for trips into Tuscany to tour the countryside, but if you plan to stay within Florence proper for three days, I think you'll be bored.

If any of you are planning on going in the fall when the weather is still nice enough to enjoy the Mediterranean, I would suggest doing Southern Italy. The Amalfi coast and Aeolian Islands in particular.

3. chobochobo

Cheers, anyone with any accomodation recommendations for Rome, Milan, Florence and Venice please?

Thinking of a bike ride/ day trip to Tuscany from Florence. Here I've found Residence Michelangelo, Hotel Davanzati, Palazzo Magnani Feroni.

Around Milan, apart from La Scala and Bellagio (thinking of Hotel du Lac there), considering Cookery Lessons at Ristorante Il CAminetto.

4. g.re

g.re Well-Known Member

Cheers, anyone with any accomodation recommendations for Rome, Milan, Florence and Venice please?

Thinking of a bike ride/ day trip to Tuscany from Florence. Here I've found Residence Michelangelo, Hotel Davanzati, Palazzo Magnani Feroni.

Around Milan, apart from La Scala and Bellagio (thinking of Hotel du Lac there), considering Cookery Lessons at Ristorante Il CAminetto.

What kind of accomodation are you looking for in Milan?

5. chobochobo

Well, I've been looking at the Park Hyatt Milan which is very central or the Petit Palais Hotel De Charme which is a bit further. Something of the quality of the latter is fine.

Also, where is the best outlet shopping in Italy around those four cities please? More women's stuff than men's stuff.

6. g.re

g.re Well-Known Member

Well, I've been looking at the Park Hyatt Milan which is very central or the Petit Palais Hotel De Charme which is a bit further. Something of the quality of the latter is fine. Also, where is the best outlet shopping in Italy around those four cities please? More women's stuff than men's stuff.
    Well, I don't know too much about outlets. Near Milan, my city, you can find an outlet at Serravalle Scrivia (located near the Milano-Genova A7 highway) or Mendrisio, which is in Switzerland, but less than an hour from Milan by car. Also, yesterday I was near Rome and on the highway I saw a big outlet but I can't say too much about this. Have you considered in Milan the Grand Hotel de Milan? Prime location (crossroad with Montenapoleone street), maybe a bit expensive.

7. Britalian

Britalian Distinguished Member

Re. Venice accomodation: I remember staying in the youth hostel on the island of Giudecca years ago and looking from the dorm window in the morning and seeing the amazing view across the canal. I'm sure there's a hotel on the island.

If you visit Milan or Rome first, the appeal - shopping-wise - of Florence might be less than if it were your entry point. Having said that Florence is beautiful and easily justifies 2 a day visit. Also, as a day or night away from Florence I'd recommend Bologna (over the over-rated and clichÃ[​IMG]d Pisa, for example), Italy's food capital and only a one hour train journey from Florence.

8. chobochobo

I'm thinking of staying in some apartments - what is the general thought on these? Most of them usually have a person at the front desk like a concierge.

Currently thinking:
    Rome 5 days, one day at the Vatican
    Florence 3 days (one of these out to Tuscany)
    Venice 2 days
    Bellagio by Como 2 days
    Milan 2 days, catching a performance at La Scala on the penultimate evening. I hear that the dress code is very relaxed now, which is a shame but does save me bringing a tux along.

9. chobochobo

Looking for a nice place to stay in Florence. Any recommendations, in the 300 usd per night region please? Thanks

10. chobochobo

One question about the trains. Is the difference between first and second class worth the price please? Thanks

11. Britalian

Britalian Distinguished Member

Eurostar first is nice for anything over 1.5 hrs which I usually get. On Regionale trains I usually take second as mine are only short trips upto an hour. Anyhow, the price difference is rarely huge. I'd advise choosing the 'Amica' fare which offers a good deal; they're only available on ES and Intercity/IntercityPlus trains however.The website is quite easy to navigate, and in English.

12. chobochobo

Another question - will there be shops stocking Vass or Carmina in Italy please? Thanks

Also anyone with a list of 'must do' activities in Rome, Florence, Venice, Bellagio and Milan please?

13. scarphe

scarphe Distinguished Member

i would say save your money and stay in milano for the sales and after that look at you budget[​IMG]

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

i would say save your money and stay in milano for the sales and after that look at you budget[​IMG]

There's only so much one can buy at Lorenzi, Bardelli and Marinella.

15. chobochobo

I'm just back and in short, I had a great time. Not a huge amount of shopping but some stuff to be had, no sales except in Bellagio where they're ready to close up for the winter. Some highlights (that I'll expand on when I get the chance)

Bike trip from Florence to Tuscany countryside
    Segway tour of Rome

I bought:
    Rome: two ties, Marinella and Ricci
    Florence: nada
    Venice: nada
    Bellagio: Loro Piana cashmere half zip, one seven fold Como silk tie
    Milan: two Sartorio Parton-whatever ties, Cashmere tops x2, and went a little mad in the Etro outlet: suit, and two casual coats.