• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian vs English shoes

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize this has been probably addressed before but what's the forum opinion on english vs italian shoes. I'm starting to build my wardrobe, and I mean nice, proper shoes and clothes, and usually find myself more atracted to italian lines. They seem to have " sleeker" lasts and bolder designs, still with very good taste. On the other hand, english shoes tend to be classics and give the impression of more solid construction, albeit not as "elegant" (this is probably not the right word and I know I'll take heat for it).

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, by the way cool posts in WAYWT thread

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a preference for English makers ... but that's all it is ... a preference.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I have a preference for English makers ... but that's all it is ... a preference.

I for Italian.
fight[1].gif
And just a preference...

Doc's advice is spot on.

EZ

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its a good pair of shoes from a good brand from one of those countries, then thats good enough for me.
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Honestly, I would not get caught up in worrying about it. There are conservative Italian shoes and flashy English ones. Just buy shoes you like and that fit with the style you want to project. Many guys here own both.
+1

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
I realize this has been probably addressed before but what's the forum opinion on english vs italian shoes. I'm starting to build my wardrobe, and I mean nice, proper shoes and clothes, and usually find myself more atracted to italian lines. They seem to have " sleeker" lasts and bolder designs, still with very good taste. On the other hand, english shoes tend to be classics and give the impression of more solid construction, albeit not as "elegant" (this is probably not the right word and I know I'll take heat for it).

Gaziano & Girling in England make some very sleek and bold designs as well as classics. John Lobb Paris (they are actually English) also makes very sleek shoes that go beyond classic design. As for "elegant," I don't find many shoes more elegant than Edward Green. So as you can see I am a fan of the English shoes. As the English shoes get much more press here than the Italian shoes, I'm not quite as familiar with the later. The Ferragamo Tramezza shoes are very nice all around, but I haven't seen much else from Italy that is as nice as those. Testoni has a few nice shoes too. Most stores I go to have many more Italian brands than English, though the Italian shoes are mostly junk like Prada and Bruno Magli. A lot of the Italian shoes are focused on design and not construction, and they aren't as comfortable. Prada shoes cost 3 times the price of dress shoes at Macy's yet are of equal quality. Prada gives a bad name to the Italians.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal

You are over generalising here. The sleeker lasts and bolder designs can be found in the French styles like Corthays, CJ Paris and even Altans and Guyots, although some argue that the latter 2 and even Berlutis may not be in good taste. Check out the ultra long lasts in Sene as well. Not to forget the third big French shoe maker in Aubercy.

English shoes can be elegant and not just classics like your Churchs. Just look at some of the MTO EGs and JLs. Barker Blacks look to be doing great things too. Even Churchs have become more funky by incorporating checkered cloth in their shoes. Definitely not what you call classic and the older Windsors would wear.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
completely personal preference imho

A pair of Zegna XXX LE line shoes have as much if not more handmade details than the english/hungarian forum favorites, but not nearly as much love. (albeit they are in the $2k range).

Additionally saying one will last longer than the other, or, one is better looking than the other is a pretty useless endeavor.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general English shoes are more to my liking. Italian shoes tend to be too long for my taste.

Mom bought me 3 pairs when she went overseas. I ended up giving them away to relatives.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from styling, what are the main differences between English made- vs. Italian made-shoes in terms of material and craftmanship?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I for Italian.
fight[1].gif
And just a preference...

And today I'm wearing some Hungarian shoes!
fight[1].gif

fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif

fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif

fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif

fight[1].gif

Ouch ... Ouch, Ouch ... Ouch ... Ouch ... Stop that!​

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, in Italy there's quite a English shoe fetish.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Aside from styling, what are the main differences between English made- vs. Italian made-shoes in terms of material and craftmanship?

One difference in RTW shoes that you might find is that Italian makers are more likely to use Blake/Rapid construction. Some knowledgable guys have the opinion that this is superior to Goodyear shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads