• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian Suit Warehouse in Midtown Manhattan

horowitz

Reaction score
Hi,

There's this Italian suit warehouse in midtown Manhattan at the corner of 48th St and 2nd Ave. They advertise 3 suits for $500. I wanted to see if anyone knows about this place or has at least seen it, and any possible advice on it. I need to buy a suit in Manhattan very soon for a job interview. This would be my first suit bought in Manhattan. I would appreciate any other advice. I'm new to the forum, so please, be gentle! Thanks in advance!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are tons of places like that, and they are all garbage. There are quite a few threads here about good entry-level suits if you use the search.

horowitz

Reaction score
I mean, I know about the classical entry options, but how can you assure that they're garbage? Do they have cheap Italian suits? Are they lying and they're not Italian suits?

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horowitz
I mean, I know about the classical entry options, but how can you assure that they're garbage? Do they have cheap Italian suits? Are they lying and they're not Italian suits?

(1) You simply cannot make 3 suits in Italy and sell them for $500 and still make a profit.

(2) Even if these suits bear a "Made in Italy" label, the affixing of that label is almost assuredly the only step of making that suit to have taken place in Italy.

(3) I'm sure there are cheap Italian suits, just like there are cheap suits from any country of origin. But, on the whole, Italian suits tend to be much better than Chinese suits. In some ways, this is simply because Italy is one of the few remaining first world countries which has a reputation for high-end clothing and where labor is inexpensive.

(4) The suits are, in all likelihood, made in China. But they will tell you that they are made by an Italian "designer," of whose name nobody has ever heard.

horowitz

Reaction score
Isn't it possible that they're decent suits and they somehow manage to sell them cheaper? I mean, it's a fact you can find high-end clothing at incredible prices on some occasions, for example at gilt.com. I guess it can't hurt to go in and ask for some names and look at the labels. As far as I could see, the suits looked of pretty decent quality from the outside, better than, say, JoS A Bank or Charles Tyrwhitt. I guess this is why I was hoping to find someone who has ever been at this place.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a place in LA where you can buy 3 suits for 199. I think they will give you a free shirt, tie and pocket square too. If you plan on buying more than 6 suits, it may be financially beneficial to fly to LA, buy them here and then fly back.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made in Italy does not equal quality.
ffffuuuu.gif
baldy[1].gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Made in Italy does not equal quality.
ffffuuuu.gif
baldy[1].gif

X2

How long do you have until you need the suit? The b/s part of the forum would be a good place to look.

horowitz

Reaction score
My interview is next Monday. What do you suggest?

I rarely need to wear a suit, so I don't want to get a really good one because it would feel like a waste of money. I guess something in the 400-500 range would be reasonable...

Grenadier

Reaction score
My interview is next Monday. What do you suggest?

I rarely need to wear a suit, so I don't want to get a really good one because it would feel like a waste of money. I guess something in the 400-500 range would be reasonable...

Go to Brooks Brothers on Thursday and ask for the Friends & Family discount (25%). Get a plain navy suit and you will have the perfect suit for any occasion.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
Go to Brooks Brothers on Thursday and ask for the Friends & Family discount (25%). Get a plain navy suit and you will have the perfect suit for any occasion.

+100000

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier

horowitz

Reaction score
So for BB, can I expect a pretty good fit? The last thing I want is my suit to look baggy like their shirts. Also, would it be on the 400-500 range, and would they be able to take measurements and make adjustments right there?

951socal

Reaction score
Hi,

There's this Italian suit warehouse in midtown Manhattan at the corner of 48th St and 2nd Ave. They advertise 3 suits for $500. I wanted to see if anyone knows about this place or has at least seen it, and any possible advice on it. I need to buy a suit in Manhattan very soon for a job interview. This would be my first suit bought in Manhattan. I would appreciate any other advice. I'm new to the forum, so please, be gentle! Thanks in advance!

yeah those place sell suits with close to designer names like Gaf Rimons, or Pegna
or something stupid like that.

i'd just go to menswarehouse and during the buy 1 get 1 free sales pick up a hickey freman suit for $500.

at least that way you get a good entry level suit(although not one of the better entry level suits) for the price of a garbage suit from macys or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads