1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Italian shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by strictly-4-my-pimps, Jan 12, 2012.

1. strictly-4-my-pimps

strictly-4-my-pimps Active Member

I have English shoes and know a little about them through this forum, however I have no knowledge of Italian shoes which I tend to like very much. I have C&J, Church's, Trickers etc... But no Italian shoes :( Can someone please tell me of some brands that are comparable to thte English shoes I mentioned. Even some higher end shoe like John Lobb or Edward Green say. I would greatly appreciate the knowledge. If anyone knows of a store that sells online that would be great. i have bought on Pediwear, Herrings but if I could get a store that sells Italian shoes, that would be amazing :) Cheers everyone :)

P.S I am looking for some brogues and a pair of black loafers for the evening. Thanks.

2. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

Ferragamo's Tramezza line of shoes are well made, although quality does vary as I believe they use others to make the shoes. Zegna's Couture XXX line is also well made. In either case, I'd stay away from the Studio or whatever the mainstream line is called.

I don't know of any good places to buy these shoes online. I picked most of mine up at Saks during the big sales.

3. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Do you want to pay over $1000 or less for good shoe?

http://www.santonishoes.com/collection/uomo/
    Santoni very difficult to get fit good online,
    make sure you can return if shoe not fit good.
    Try santoni fatte a mano range of shoe.

4. Crat

Crat Senior member

Try Santoni form upper shoes, they have a nice 'personalized' size guide comparing the sizing of several shoemakers.
    http://www.upper-shoes.com/

Other good italian brands such as Bontoni, Scafora, Lattanzi and Bettanin & Venturi may be hard to find online. You could try your luck on e-bay.

If you like the italian 'style' you also might want to have a look at Corthay, a French maker. In my opinion Corthay's quality is on par with Edward Green but their styling is much more sleek.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

This is the first I have heard about the Tramezza line having any concerns about quality??? Can you be more specific with model names and numbers? I have several and handled many more in the store. I haven't seen any Tramezzas that were not high end quality.

6. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

For more info about top quality Italian (or any country) shoes, visit this link:

John Cursey's "Ready-To-Wear Shoe Pyramid"

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutorials/JCuseyOnShoes.htm

7. razl

razl Senior member

8. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

I have several pairs of Tramezzas and love them all. But within the range of Tramezzas they use different qualities of leather from shoe to shoe. This is true of all shoes, but may be more of an issue for Ferragamo since they don't manufacture the shoes themselves. My brown medallion toe is going on five years of weekly wear and has aged beautifully. My black wholecuts remain one of my favorite shoes. However, the leather on my black captoes hasn't aged very well and on closer examination it's clear the leather isn't of the same quality as on my wholecuts. I just wanted to point out that it's best to see the shoe in person. I know I didn't make that very clear. I haven't had any construction problems whatsoever with any of my shoes other than a squeaky heel and I find them to be very comfortable.

9. swiego

swiego Senior member

Interesting, the leather on my black tramezza captoes has not aged well at all. I don't fault the shoes though, given the amount of winter salt they have seen.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. Patek

Patek Senior member

Since you are looking for loafers, don't forget the Gucci loafer which is also handmade and comfortable to boot.

11. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

12. TheWorldsFinest

TheWorldsFinest Senior member Affiliate Vendor

13. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

Two brands that hasn´t come up yet is Tod´s and Car Shoe. Both companies does nice casual shoes. I never owned any Tod´s but i have one of these (http://www.carshoe.com/man-collection-classic) in light grey and they are the best moccasins i ever had.

14. Octoberfile

Octoberfile Senior member

15. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

16. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Oops

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012