Italian Shirt Sizing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jekv12, Nov 15, 2004.

1. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

Many Italian shirts I see have only one size marked - the neck size in English and metric - for example, 15.5 / 39 I'm curious why the sleeve length
    isn't specified? This would make life a lot easier when shopping.

Most sellers on eBay will specify the sleeve length, but it's clearly something they have to do on a shirt-by-shirt basis, and the sleeve lengths clearly vary even within the same neck size. Why not do it at the source?

John

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Makers that do that typically make a standard sleeve length, and possibly a "L" length, etc. In other words, the sleeves of a 15.5 will be your usual 33" or so, and a 15.5L will be 34-35" (for example, I'm making up numbers). The reason they don't mark the length is that they don't make all the different lengths.

3. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

First of all it's inches and metric. Second, don't rely on that conversion to be accurate. A 39 is called a 151/2 but really measures less than that.
    I always sell my clients size 40 if they measure 15 1/2, it's a bit larger than a measured 15 1/2 but a better fit in the long run.
    In regards to sleeve length, European manufacturers expect as a matter of course that sleeves will be measured and adjusted at the time of purchase. Usually a 15 1/2 will measure, depending on manufacturer, 35-36 inches long. When you have your sleeves shortened make sure that the tailor is prepared to recut the sleeve by removing cuff and vent. If he / she doesn't do it this way, walk away and say thanks anyway.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Is this why I've found a couple of Jermyn Street shirts (incl. my Tyrwhitt, I believe) with no sleeve placket button? I saw that and initially thought, wow, that's sort of cheap, but then thought about it and I guessed that they expected the customer to adjust it and then add a button.

How much should one expect to pay to have sleeves adjusted, including moving the vent?

5. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

My tailor charges twenty five bucks. Not cheap but worth it.

6. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

...alas, I have the opposite problem and need all the length I can get (36.5-37 inches, though some 36's seem long enough).

Tyrwhitt charges $10 (according to their website) but says "sleeve" - singular and doesn't specify whether the vent is moved. My BB shirts are also without a sleeve placket button.

Thanks.

7. Giona Granata

Giona Granata Senior member

Usually Italian manufacturers do sleeves a little longer; than they will shorten them, or tighten the cuffs: usually shops in Italy will not charge for that.

8. joycemik

joycemik Well-Known Member

Hello i would like to buy a italian shirt but i am a bit confused with the sizing converter to UK.
    Please anyone could tell me what the size 40-54 (italian shirt size) is in English sizing?
    Is It a L or XL size?
    Many thanks
    Regards