• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian Houses Offering MTM

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or recommendation with any of the Italian tailoring houses that offer MTM services. Bespoke is simply out of my budget, so I was curious to see if there were options available. Besides trunk shows, I am planning on being in Italy in December, so I would like to enjoy the experience of being measured and having a suit made-to-measure.

I have found Lanieri, and Sartoria Vestrucci, so far. Are there any others that you all know of?

Thank you in advance!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where are you located and what cities in Italy will you be visiting.

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Where are you located and what cities in Italy will you be visiting.
I am in Florida, but do visit NY often, as I have family there. In December, I will be in Rome and Florence. I am considering also heading to Florence though, as the heart of the type of Neapolitan tailoring in which I am most interested.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am in Florida, but do visit NY often, as I have family there. In December, I will be in Rome and Florence. I am considering also heading to Florence though, as the heart of the type of Neapolitan tailoring in which I am most interested.

If you can visit NYC, look up I Sarti Italiani. They will do a custom suit for about 1000 euros. Next trunk show is in a month or two. Also, look up the Instagram account UrbanComposition. That is a member on this board who has developed a new house style for them in the United States. I think it fits better than the company's default house style, which they produce for local customers in Sicily. This 1000 euros price tag is for bespoke suits.

You can also look up The Armoury. They are a store in NYC that can do MTM for their in-house Ring Jacket line and Orazio Luciano.

If you're going to be in Florence, look up Sartoria Marinaro. He does bespoke for less than what the other more prominent names in the city charge (e.g., Liverano and Corcos).

If you're going to be in Naples, look up Solito, Amato, Zizolfi, and Formosa. All four are among the more affordable bespoke tailors in the city who do good work. Formosa also offers MTM (or they used to, call to check first). Amato's bespoke prices are about what you'd pay for MTM in the US but he does bespoke.

Rome is mostly good for bespoke shirts these days, not suits. Panico used to have an outpost in Rome, but he's expensive.

I would avoid Lanieri. Vestrucci is a MTM product produced by Zegna. For the prices they charge, I think you can go with one of the more affordable bespoke tailors and get a better product.

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
If you can visit NYC, look up I Sarti Italiani. They will do a custom suit for about 1000 euros. Next trunk show is in a month or two. Also, look up the Instagram account UrbanComposition. That is a member on this board who has developed a new house style for them in the United States. I think it fits better than the company's default house style, which they produce for local customers in Sicily. This 1000 euros price tag is for bespoke suits.

You can also look up The Armoury. They are a store in NYC that can do MTM for their in-house Ring Jacket line and Orazio Luciano.

If you're going to be in Florence, look up Sartoria Marinaro. He does bespoke for less than what the other more prominent names in the city charge (e.g., Liverano and Corcos).

If you're going to be in Naples, look up Solito, Amato, Zizolfi, and Formosa. All four are among the more affordable bespoke tailors in the city who do good work. Formosa also offers MTM (or they used to, call to check first). Amato's bespoke prices are about what you'd pay for MTM in the US but he does bespoke.

Rome is mostly good for bespoke shirts these days, not suits. Panico used to have an outpost in Rome, but he's expensive.

I would avoid Lanieri. Vestrucci is a MTM product produced by Zegna. For the prices they charge, I think you can go with one of the more affordable bespoke tailors and get a better product.
Wow, this is incredible recon. I can't thank you enough. I actually spoke to I Sarti, and they said they would get back to me when they had the dates/address for their NY trunk show, although I'm not sure I could see them more than once being they are based in Sicily, and I'm not headed that far south. Of course for custom, I likely only need 1 visit and then I can do alterations locally, right?
I will check out UrbanComposition as well as all the others you mentioned.
Do you recommend any specific shirt makers in Rome?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, this is incredible recon. I can't thank you enough. I actually spoke to I Sarti, and they said they would get back to me when they had the dates/address for their NY trunk show, although I'm not sure I could see them more than once being they are based in Sicily, and I'm not headed that far south. Of course for custom, I likely only need 1 visit and then I can do alterations locally, right?
I will check out UrbanComposition as well as all the others you mentioned.
Do you recommend any specific shirt makers in Rome?

No problem.

Only two of the companies on my list offer MTM. The first is The Armoury -- they do MTM for their in-house Ring Jacket line and Orazio Luciano. The second is Formosa in Naples, but I'm not sure if they still do that program (they used to many years ago).

The others are bespoke tailors who will be cheaper than Vestrucci's MTM.

MTM is done through two meetings. At the first meeting, you are measured and you select the garment's details. The garment is then made straight to finish and you have a "fitting," which is when the garment is placed on you and the tailor makes any necessary adjustments. This fitting is not different from what a local tailor can do for you. The garment has already been made, so any adjustments will be small, such as nipping the waist or taking up the sleeves.

Bespoke is done through three or four meetings. At the first meeting, you are measured and you select the garment's details. Tailors then work with you through a series of fittings. Some tailors only do two fittings -- the forward and the final. Other tailors do three fittings -- basted, forward, and final. Again, the final fitting can always be done in your local area in Florida, assuming you have access to a good tailor.

If you are trying to get a suit from a tailor while traveling on vacation to Italy, you will be pressed for time. However, you can get a suit by doing the following

1. Bring fabric with you. This way, the tailor doesn't have to order fabric and wait for it to arrive.

2. Call ahead of time to let them know your schedule. It's best if you meet with them on the first day of your trip -- get measured and pick out the details, then hand them your fabric. You will want to let them know ahead of time that you're traveling and need to schedule enough fittings during your trip.

3. You will then want to do at least two fittings with this tailor. All Italian tailors do three fittings -- basted, forward, and final. If you can squeeze in two in-person fittings with a tailor, that tailor can then finish the garment and ship it to you. You can then do the final fitting with your local Florida tailor.

If you are not able to schedule at least these three meetings -- the initial meeting and two fittings -- then you will want to stick to MTM. When doing MTM, try to use companies that have fitting garments. This will increase the chances of success.

Regarding shirtmakers in Rome, try Mimmo Siviglia and Jaja. Below are some photos of Siviglia's workshop in Rome when I visited some years ago. I also wrote a post about Jaja here

Siviglia1.JPG
Siviglia2.JPG
Siviglia3.JPG
Siviglia4.JPG

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
No problem.

Only two of the companies on my list offer MTM. The first is The Armoury -- they do MTM for their in-house Ring Jacket line and Orazio Luciano. The second is Formosa in Naples, but I'm not sure if they still do that program (they used to many years ago).

The others are bespoke tailors who will be cheaper than Vestrucci's MTM.

MTM is done through two meetings. At the first meeting, you are measured and you select the garment's details. The garment is then made straight to finish and you have a "fitting," which is when the garment is placed on you and the tailor makes any necessary adjustments. This fitting is not different from what a local tailor can do for you. The garment has already been made, so any adjustments will be small, such as nipping the waist or taking up the sleeves.

Bespoke is done through three or four meetings. At the first meeting, you are measured and you select the garment's details. Tailors then work with you through a series of fittings. Some tailors only do two fittings -- the forward and the final. Other tailors do three fittings -- basted, forward, and final. Again, the final fitting can always be done in your local area in Florida, assuming you have access to a good tailor.

If you are trying to get a suit from a tailor while traveling on vacation to Italy, you will be pressed for time. However, you can get a suit by doing the following

1. Bring fabric with you. This way, the tailor doesn't have to order fabric and wait for it to arrive.

2. Call ahead of time to let them know your schedule. It's best if you meet with them on the first day of your trip -- get measured and pick out the details, then hand them your fabric. You will want to let them know ahead of time that you're traveling and need to schedule enough fittings during your trip.

3. You will then want to do at least two fittings with this tailor. All Italian tailors do three fittings -- basted, forward, and final. If you can squeeze in two in-person fittings with a tailor, that tailor can then finish the garment and ship it to you. You can then do the final fitting with your local Florida tailor.

If you are not able to schedule at least these three meetings -- the initial meeting and two fittings -- then you will want to stick to MTM. When doing MTM, try to use companies that have fitting garments. This will increase the chances of success.

Regarding shirtmakers in Rome, try Mimmo Siviglia and Jaja. Below are some photos of Siviglia's workshop in Rome when I visited some years ago. I also wrote a post about Jaja here

View attachment 1740620 View attachment 1740621 View attachment 1740622 View attachment 1740623
Thank you again for all your help! I have been in touch with a few of these recommendations already to see if they have any trunk shows coming up in the states. I Sarti and Marinaro both do, so I can do the first here and then then others in Italy.
I'm pretty excited. Thank you again!

noobanker

Reaction score

1000 euros for bespoke???

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Thank you again for all your help! I have been in touch with a few of these recommendations already to see if they have any trunk shows coming up in the states. I Sarti and Marinaro both do, so I can do the first here and then then others in Italy.
I'm pretty excited. Thank you again!
Sorry to bother you again. I have found them all except Amato. This isn't them, is it? http://www.sartoriaamato.it/

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again. I have found them all except Amato. This isn't them, is it? http://www.sartoriaamato.it/

Don't know what is that website.

Call Amato. His phone number is +39 081 422653.

Many people in Naples don't speak Engish, especially people of the older generation, which includes nearly all the tailors. So to talk to him on the phone, you will need to find someone who can speak Italian. In Naples, you can hire a translator for a small fee per day. You can find these people by calling the hotels or hostels, who will usually be able to recommend someone.

BonzoMoon2002

Reaction score
Don't know what is that website.

Call Amato. His phone number is +39 081 422653.

Many people in Naples don't speak Engish, especially people of the older generation, which includes nearly all the tailors. So to talk to him on the phone, you will need to find someone who can speak Italian. In Naples, you can hire a translator for a small fee per day. You can find these people by calling the hotels or hostels, who will usually be able to recommend someone.
Thank you, sir!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads