1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Italian CBD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CrimsonSox, Feb 8, 2014.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

well, I'm not advocating not spending 3 figures on shirts :lookaround:

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

my panta shirt is the ish!

but yeah, im not a stickler for shirt fit like i am with pants and jackets. as long as its comfy, long enough, not too tight and not too billowy and has a sechsay collar, im happy.

1 person likes this.
  3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

+1 on this, though I think this trend is finally dying, or at least less full-blown.

On the fullness/slimness, I expect age and/or body type are a factor for those who care/don't.

For someone with a fit build, excess baggyness is a failure to showcase one's strengths (an objective in the same way that good tailoring ought to conceal or downplay weaknesses).

4. cgo

cgo Senior member

Agree (although I won't consider that photos to be skin tight)

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Have you walked into a Suit Supply lately?

Spread collars everywhere.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Has the pendulum begun to swing in the other direction? I see no issue with the prevalence of spread collars. In fact, I think it is a good thing.

2 people like this.
  7. archetypal_yuppie

I'm not sure what Suit Supply is... My tailored clothing universe is fairly small (PS/Saks/BG mostly).

I just feel like I see fewer super spread collars now than a few years ago. They were ubiquitous at Brooks Brothers for a while, not sure now (because Brooks Brothers sucks ass so I don't go in there).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  8. patrickBOOTH

Oh, so those super cutaway collars.

9. patrickBOOTH

I don't understand why so many big label RTW brands still haven't gotten it right. Skimpy collars regardless of whatever the current trend is. Essentially if you want a great shirt without going bespoke, or online MTM you need to go to the Italians.

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

FWIW, I think shirts might be the most interesting item of mens clothing.

It's really a test of skill for the pattern maker, for the obvious reasons. It's certainly true that, in practice, most end up being too baggy or too tight.

Nothing (not even a bad jacket) adds a stone faster than a poorly cut shirt. But when it's done well, I don't know if there's anything that makes a guy look better.

11. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Anybody on here that swears by MTM or bespoke shirts rather then OTR?

12. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

Me, but I have a 14.25" neck and 6'8" arm span. Just started ordering some shirts from Luxire and love them.

13. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Nick, I'm assuming from your moniker that you are from Toronto Canada? I am as well. I have a shirt guy already, but I'm not keen on using him again as I find his shirts to be mediocre at best. Can you reccomend a good quality local maker?

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

A well cut coat with the canvas and shaping are better at hiding flaws and emphasizing strengths. :teach:

If you wear a coat all the time, deficiencies with the body of the shirt only come up when you are wearing coats with thin fabrics. With some of my summer weight coats, wrinkles in the shirt show up through coat. That doesn't happen with my winter weight coats.

15. archetypal_yuppie

+1, I have a few older (MTM) shirts remaining that are not quite right (a bit too baggy), and I look worse, and I feel worse when I wear them. I feel disheveled.

I do. Got a very good but not perfect fit MTM from La Rukico in midtown (very nice cloths though). Recently switched to CEGO and Carl absolutely nailed the fit (paper pattern). Look great, feel great. I could never go back to OTR (or LR for that matter).

When one or two minor things are not how you want them, it can be annoying. If you have the cash and access, why not fix them?

16. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

My only beef with MTM shirts are that the collar styles are always pretty blah.

17. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Not to mention the last ones I ordered and had made as button downs, the collars were too stiff for my liking.

18. patrickBOOTH

Well, they should be an easy fix.

19. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Yes I was thinking to set them on fire :) in all seriousness, how could I make them less stiff patrick?

20. patrickBOOTH

Dunno, with wash and wearings they should soften up in time.

1 person likes this.