1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Spencer Young, Sep 17, 2006.

1. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I've already posted about these coats, but they are super nice - I forgot to add that the fabric is Loro Piana - if I had the extra flow, I would pick up the rest of these. The 54 (42) fits more like a 40R.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...ercoat-For-Men

Use this code and get it down to $95.97 - 49503 (code expires midnight)

Tempted to get this because it costs the same as these ugg slippers I just bought. I entered in the code 49503 like you said, and it had expired, so then I just guessed 49506 and it worked to get me a 20% discount.

2. tiecollector

Thanks D. Care to elaborate on why you are not a "huge" fan of the Angelo. Perhaps a compare and contrast to the Abboud - which I also picked up and like (at least for the <$500 price).

yeah, it looks nice, and much cheaper than the chesterfield I was going to get at BR. What is wrong with the coat. The problem I was having before is that I couldn't find one that allowed for much layering.

I got my finger on checkout though.

3. tiecollector

Ah what the hell, I just ordered it. If I don't like it then I'll send it back or resell it.

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

54 Angelo fits properly as a ~44R with higher arm holes and slimmer fit. Abboud is a more traditional over coat fit, much rommier. I a not a HUGE fan of this coat, but for the fact that it was $97 dollars. So no, it does nto run that small. (could be taken in).
    So, if you're roughly a 44R and are not looking for a slim fit, you should get the 56 (corresponds to 44)? Or 58 (corresponds to 46)?

What do you mean that you're not a huge fan of the coat? And what color did you get?

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

By the way, generally, when you see Polo coats that are &quot;Made in Italy,&quot; are these generally Corneliani?

6. c55

c55 Senior member

Ah what the hell, I just ordered it. If I don't like it then I'll send it back or resell it.

The coat that I got is really nice, I'm not sure if there is a problem with labeling on these, but I have some joseph abboud stuff - a few sportcoats in 40R. I consider myself a 40R, and the 54 (42) fits me perfect with some winter layers. This is an italian cut, so much slimmer and tailored.

You can always return anything to STP and only be out $5.95.

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

So to clarify, size up on the Angelo if you're not looking for a slim fit?

8. tiecollector

I will try it out, unfortunately sizing is limited, I seem to have gotten the last 54. I'll let you guys know.

9. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

I would definitely size up one size if you plan to wear it over a suit. I normally wear a 50 or 52 in European sizes. I picked up a 54 in the peak lapel and it fits nicely with other layers underneath. Without a suit or sportcoat underneath, it's definitely a little bit roomy.

I think the styling is nice and I like the coat. Other posters claim not to love it, but for my daily grind of commuting to and from Manhattan, I figured I really couldn't really go wrong at about $100.

10. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Hmmm, for me that would be going up to 58 (46), which leaves "taupe heather" and "md brown twill." How are these colors?

How much value is Angelo at full retail? This is listed as $775 on STP.

11. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

Hmmm, for me that would be going up to 58 (46), which leaves "taupe heather" and "md brown twill." How are these colors?

How much value is Angelo at full retail? This is listed as $775 on STP.

I believe that color is subjective. Frankly, I chose the black/white donegal because my wife liked it the best. [​IMG]

I've no idea about "real" retail value, but I figure $100 is decent for a well-fitting lambswool coat. I searched at places like Century 21, Syms, Loehmanns, etc. and certainly found nothing nicer in that price range.

Hope that helps.

12. tiecollector

If I like the jacket, for less than $100 I'll ask my tailor if he can add a chesterfield style velvet collar.

13. Jutter

Jutter Active Member

14. aspriel

aspriel Senior member

Just picked this up at BR, I really really like it: [​IMG]

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

On the Michel Angelo, I picked it up in the mid-brown, which is nice, although I'm torn about the taupe version... I wear a 44 suit and bought the 56 coat, and I would consider it snug. I'm debating whether to attempt an exchange for a 58.

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Just picked this thing up from BR for $275 today. It's a wool/cashmere blend. I like the way it fits (kind of fitted - not too loose), and the price wasn't bad. It's kind of hard to tell what it looks like from this picture though.

[​IMG]

17. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Just picked this thing up from BR for $275 today. It's a wool/cashmere blend. I like the way it fits (kind of fitted - not too loose), and the price wasn't bad. It's kind of hard to tell what it looks like from this picture though.

[​IMG]

I don't see the black version of your coat on BR's website.

18. propertyofalady

propertyofalady Member

[​IMG]

Looking at this coat as I have in other designer stores, I have a question for you guys. I seems like the length of this jacket is slightly longer that most, almost to the length of an overcoat. Does it feel odd to wear this only with shirt and pants? I haven't tried one on so I can't really judge.

19. tiecollector

Screw the coat, where did you get those pants?

20. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I don't see the black version of your coat on BR's website.

It's not black, it's a really dark brown.

Looking at this coat as I have in other designer stores, I have a question for you guys. I seems like the length of this jacket is slightly longer that most, almost to the length of an overcoat. Does it feel odd to wear this only with shirt and pants? I haven't tried one on so I can't really judge.

BR calls this coat a "topcoat." Not sure if that's different from an "overcoat." But, in the picture above, I'm wearing the coat over a sportcoat (can't really see the sportcoat because it's also a dark color).

Screw the coat, where did you get those pants?

Those pants are Corneliani and I got them off of STP. They are a gray heather flannel, but I don't see them on STP's current Corneliani offerings.