• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It Will Be Cold Soon - Let's Talk Coats

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
They sell camel meat in the city where I'm working right now in China.

What does camel taste like?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure actually... My colleagues told me not to try it, very tough and dry meat apparently. There were all this other fun stuff though
271091522_d3303f03cc_m.jpg
Top to bottom Cicada Centipede Scorpion - Seahorse Starfish

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw some of the Zara stuff this weekend. Ok for fashion fix and a not-too-substantial one at that. The material would be OK, IMHO, for a light winter, yet still need a bit of layering underneath.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's been a fair amount written about slim fitting suits but not coats and I was hoping you guys could discuss the concept.

Does it make sense to look for slim coats, or is it reasonable to cover a fashionable suit in a sack? Is a coat slimmed as thoroughly as a suit through armholes, arm width, etc., or will having your tailor take the waist in turn a sack coat into a slim coat? How much difference in fit is there between, say, coats from BR, Canali Milano, and RLPL?

Thanks for your 2 cents.

cpac

Reaction score
My own philosophy on overcoats is as follows:

As an "over" coat, it's going over several layers of other clothing. As a result, it's never going to be as fitted as a suit; nor should it be. I wouldn't ever get one so fitted that I could only wear certain clothing underneath - I like to wear mine both over suits, and over jeans with a bulky sweater.

As for construction, overcoats follow the same basic pattern as suits - full canvas hand-work is the best, all the way down.

Here's where my philosophy becomes contradictory though: Because overcoats aren't as fitted, you can cheat on the fitting process (or just go OTR) and still look quite good, and so you should therefore save your money for a place (suit, shoes) where it will make more of a difference. On the other hand, a good overcoat can last you 10, 15, or 20 years, and during the winter may be something that sees daily wear. For these reasons, it's worth spending a bit more on an overcoat.

So where does that leave me?

Well my 10 year old, but fantastic OTR overcoat is on its last legs (if it's still standing at all). So now I have to choose whether to find a bargain somewhere, or pay a bit more for a M2M one from Mr. Ned, or pay a LOT more and find something that's full canvass and hand-made with the idea of it lasting 20 years.

Not sure if any of that helped, but it is what it is....

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
There's been a fair amount written about slim fitting suits but not coats and I was hoping you guys could discuss the concept. Does it make sense to look for slim coats, or is it reasonable to cover a fashionable suit in a sack? Is a coat slimmed as thoroughly as a suit through armholes, arm width, etc., or will having your tailor take the waist in turn a sack coat into a slim coat? How much difference in fit is there between, say, coats from BR, Canali Milano, and RLPL? Thanks for your 2 cents.
Ive been facing the same problem. Ive had a great deal of difficulty finding an otr slimmer fitting overcoat in nyc. So far you have the usual suspects from the dept. stores...alll with raglan sleeves and that myseterious blend of 90 wool 10 cashmere....they all look and fit like a bb oxford..SACK On the higher end PS has a great coat that even comes in a 41L my size...the cashmere vicuna version is 3K however. I have not tried on the 14oo version. Rothmans in Union Square and a nicer HF coat at about 1K in chashere..nicely styled but a bit bulky and 40 L too slim and the 42 too large...a nice tweener though. So like the others posted above,,,,do we go with a mr. ned/chan type ....or bit the bullet on something more expensive. Its an odd delimma. I wonder what the average italian does. Surely they are slim but dont spend 2k on an otr overcoat

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Having recently moved to Chicago, and hearing about Chicago winters, I've begun searching for a coat that can stand the cold (and test of time). I've been looking around for a solid wool 3/4 length coat to wear to work/play when the overcoat is a bit too formal, but there seems to be a huge gap between the $300-400 range and the $1200+ range; I can't seem to find anything in the middle. I've found an amazingly gorgeous coat at Burberry (no patterning/branding, thankfully) but the price is above what I planned ($1500). Has anyone had any experience with wool coats that have a nice, tailored, fit to them for under this price range? I've done the mandatory searching on STP/Yoox but yet to find anything worthwhile. Thoughts?

Fellow Chicagoan, I picked up this: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...opcoat-For-Men

Using this 20% discount code for ~$475 "49407"

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received the Tyrwhitt Covert Coat and had a few observations:

1. It is well-sewn and made of English fabric in the Czech Republic
2. It has a very traditional shape and fits well
3. My issue is that the fabric is very thin. It seems more like a suit jacket and not like an overcoat. Are they all like that or is it particular to the Tyrwhitt?

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I just received the Tyrwhitt Covert Coat and had a few observations:

1. It is well-sewn and made of English fabric in the Czech Republic
2. It has a very traditional shape and fits well
3. My issue is that the fabric is very thin. It seems more like a suit jacket and not like an overcoat. Are they all like that or is it particular to the Tyrwhitt?

cheap material could be one reason. that company is good at providing a lot of style and little substance.

ATM

Reaction score
Aren't covert coats supposed to be thinner than the typical overcoat?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
Aren't covert coats supposed to be thinner than the typical overcoat?

Yes - this coat is supposed to be thin and comfortably sit on top of a suit jacket. I have the CT one and the thickness of the wool is totally normal for this type of coat

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dolce and Gabbana have fitted overcoats but you'll pay both in dollars and potentially fused elements.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for slimmer fitting overcoat/winter coat. I currently have Holt Renfrew and Club Monaco from 5 years ago. Both are very slim fitting with small armholes which looks good, but doesn't allow for substantial layering.

I was very impressed with quality of fabric and detailing of Cole Haan coats ( working sleeves with 4 buttons, leather detailing on b8uttonholes and pockets, leather lining under collars etc.) Also coats were thick, but surprisingly soft and light (great drape).
I saw them at Filenes' Basement's sample sale. Unfortunately they were all Medium size: 40R+
I wish I could find Cole Haan coat that I saw in grey/black herringbone. It was perfect for work or weekend.
Any idea guys which stores usually carry Cole Haan outerwear?
I know Macy's is not one of them.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Any idea guys which stores usually carry Cole Haan outerwear?
I know Macy's is not one of them.

STP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads