• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It sucks having muscular legs sometimes...

Lomezz

Reaction score
amazing. I have the exact opposite problem: I have 32 waist but my thighs - well, I can probbaly fit two of mine into one of yours. I actually tried everything to bulk them up. Neither weight training nor 50 miles of cycling per weekend nor swimming made any dent. I will never forget how my aunt almost wet herself when she saw me in lycra cycling short that were loose at the thighs... So when i buy pants made for Americans, what fits me in the waist is grossly oversized in the buttocal and thigh area. Lately I bought a pair of Zegna "Z" dress pants from the Zegna outlet (about $200), and they are flat front and very slim fitting - precisely the way I like it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Lately I bought a pair of Zegna "Z" dress pants from the Zegna outlet (about $200), and they are flat front and very slim fitting - precisely the way I like it.

Check out Helmut Lang. I have very skinny legs and their low-rise pants and jeans fit me *perfectly*. The "boot cut" style is the perfect straight leg fit.

Lomezz

Reaction score
The "boot cut" style is the perfect straight leg fit.
I didn't get it - isn't boot-cut by definition not straight leg? why not just get the straight leg model, then?

Brian SD

Reaction score
The "boot cut" style is the perfect straight leg fit.
I didn't get it - isn't boot-cut by definition not straight leg? why not just get the straight leg model, then?
For Helmut Lang, "Boot Cut" = straight leg, "Classic Fit" = tapered.

DennyB

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with this type of fit issue. Even when I was a lot younger and quite trim and in shape, my thighs and butt were a bit too large for most jeans of the day (e.g., Levi's and Jordache). This was, of course, before the advent of relaxed and looser fit jeans. It used to sort of bother me, but later in life I learned to be much more thankful that I got the butt in my family (my dad and brother are flat-assed).

I love boot cut and flared jeans. I was glad to see what the previous poster noted, i.e., that the extent of the leg opening varies by manufacturer/designer. I love the visual line created by a good boot cut or flared leg and nice pair of boots. Apparently, so do a lot of women - several have remarked to friends of mine that they are wearing 'tapered' leg jeans and that it doesn't look good (in fact, the guys are wearing regular fit, straight-legged jeans, but the line does sort of look tapered at the shoe).

I will mention something that I've found that works very well, fit-wise. I will purchase jeans that are loose fit (not baggy) but that have the boot cut, flare, or wide straight leg opening (somewhere around 20-21"), but in a smaller waist size than is normal for me. For example, I usually wear a 34 in jeans and 36 in dress slacks, but in some jeans I can wear a 32 and have the fit be pretty much perfect because of the extra room in the thighs and seat. Actually, those jeans snug my thighs just enough to show the contour/sweep of my outer thigh, and I've had a number of women tell me that "I love your thighs", so I think that the jeans fit is helping me. Levi's Red Tab Hemi jeans are great for this. I don't know if Levi's still makes them, but you can still order them through JC Penney for $29.99. Not a bad deal for a nice pair of stylish boot cut Levi's. Levi's Low Loose Boot Cut Jeans (567) also are good jeans for the money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads