• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It seems I'm bigger than everyone else

swanny

Reaction score
I'm completely new to SF but I've been addicted to reading about every post on here for the past week, and I've realized I'm bigger than most people on here, which to my disadvantage means a lot of the shoes won't fit and most suits/sc's/trousers look completely different on me. I would love to find some other people who wear 14+sz shoes and where they tend to find them and 46L suits and what experience they've had in looking good despite the fact we're not 40R's (no offense to you guys)
smile.gif

Thanks alot guys and I'm still addicted to this place

Dan S.
SF Bay Area

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has the same title as a lot of spam I get....funny.

Anyway, most clothing for people out of the standard size range is badly styled, forcing such men to go MTM or custom.

I'm a 40R myself, but that's what I've heard
smile.gif

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Yeah its true I wear a 13 shoe and 46l i can never find a shoe that looks decent they alwways look like clown shoes. It especially pisses me off when you see a shoe you really like in a 8.5 it looks great but when they bring out the boats they look like garbage. Suits Im not a suit wearer everyday although I do own a suit store so i wear some of the private labels that i carry, never been one to spend $8000 on a suit or even $800. Not when you know how much they actually cost to make.

The Transporter

Reaction score
I'm 6'4" 245lbs and said to my girlfriend over the weekend as we passed a shoe store that I'm kinda glad I wear a size 14 because it cuts out all the crappy ugly shoes that seem to be in the majority. Allen Edmonds carries bigger sizes but they have a hip new last - 0, I think - that is longer and pointy in the toe. Sure it might look cool if you wear a size 9 but it looks ridiculous on a size 14. I think I wore a 9 in sixth grade
smile.gif
The 8 last seems to fit pretty well and has a good look in larger sizes.

I stay away from plain toes and usually get something with a cap toe or brogueing or some other type of design on the front of the shoe to make it look shorter.

If you want to move up in the price scale, Crockett & Jones offers about five shoes in a UK13 which is equivalent to a US14. Coniston, Chiltern, Connaught, Clifford, Audley were the ones listed when I looked on their Web site a few weeks ago. Never tried them on so I don't know how they fit but I'd like to check them out sometime.

As for suits, I only have a few but some of the better stores carry 46L and some even carry 46XL. You can also try MTM which is what I did with my Hart Schaffner Marx dinner jacket and pants. Bespoke is the next step but it's pricey.

Pants are my biggest pet peeve because we're not all Tom Cruise. I went into BR a couple months ago and asked where the big boy sizes were since they were all 32/30 or something like that. Some of us actually go to the gym and do squats so we have muscular a**es and thighs. Anyway, I could go on as I'm sure you've experienced the same thing.

swanny

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on shoe makes, currently my entire shoe collection is limited to kenneth cole and J&M and don't ask me how but I'd never heard of Allen Edmonds, now that I take a look out there, they seem to have more styles in a 14 than anyone else, which is a real find. I agree completely on the whole "clown shoes" thing with larger size shoes, I had to forget plain toes altogether because they look absolutely ridiculous. I've yet to break down and get a MTM suit because I vary in size from summer to winter so drastically that it would only fit me half the year (guess I'm making my own excuse to buy multiples.) And thanks for the other responses, I'm really liking this forum a lot and I'm soaking up a lot of knowledge around here.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swanny
I'm completely new to SF but I've been addicted to reading about every post on here for the past week, and I've realized I'm bigger than most people on here, which to my disadvantage means a lot of the shoes won't fit and most suits/sc's/trousers look completely different on me. I would love to find some other people who wear 14+sz shoes and where they tend to find them and 46L suits and what experience they've had in looking good despite the fact we're not 40R's (no offense to you guys)
smile.gif

Thanks alot guys and I'm still addicted to this place

Dan S.
SF Bay Area

I wear a size 13 shoe and a 46L jacket.

AC7

Reaction score
You're lucky, I'm a 16 shoe and a 44 XL suit.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe size isn't my issue. At 6'2 and 265 I wear a 50L that is tough to find in a decent suit. Shirts are 18.5/36.5 which is another pain ***********.

It's a struggle for those of us that aren't the svelte 40R
eh.gif

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
I carry Longs and Xlong suits in Hardwick(made in the USA) and a brand "Mantoni"(made in china wool suit) proabably one of the better made in china wools i have ever seen that are under $200. I know people on SF have very good taste and it is hardly viable brand to many, but if its not above you try them some time.

AE shoes are superior especially when it comes to the big foot problem

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a 46R myself, although my feet aren't quite so large. You are (and I am) bigger than many of the folks on here, but that doesn't mean you can't look great and find stuff that fits. I'll speak for the clothes only, since I can't empathize with your, err, podalic endowment.

Sierra Trading Post (STP) always has a ton of Isaia suits and sportcoats in larger sizes. I have purchased a number of items from them. You should have no problem finding well-cut garments in your size there.

Check out some of the forum sponsor sites, too. As a quick check, Virtual Clothes Horse (VCH) has 3 Borelli jackets at reasonable, although not bargain basement, prices in 46L.

Remember also to check some of these sites carefully on sizing. I've gotten at least one ridiculous deal on an Isaia at STP. It lasted a really long time on their site because nobody thought it was their size - STP was listing Euro sizing on that particular item. I've noticed that some sites like VCH also don't list their sizes or organize their sites all that well, so your 46L might get filtered out if you search just on that term.

Also just troll the B&S forum. You have to keep in mind that the B&S forum is not like the mall - they don't have every size and every pattern every day. However, there are pleny of 46Ls that do come across the wire - you just have to be vigilant and check frequently. DocHolliday and Holdfast often have 46L Ralph Lauren stuff for sale. One benefit of being larger is that these items have less demand - meaning they stick around longer and are more likely to get marked down a few times. It's fine and dandy if all kinds of beautiful 38s and 40s are coming down the pike but it's worthless if you never get your hands on any of it because it sells so fast.

Good luck!

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn't inappropriate to post on this thread [if it is, mods, please feel free to let me know and delete], but I have access to a bunch of Valentini trousers (cords and flannels in various colors) in 56 and 58 Eu (~39-42 or so US waist size). Prices in the $90-120 range. Feel free to PM if interested.

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Eh, 6'8" and 225lbs. Size 16 foot.

Shoes have always been tricky. Captoes are handy for shortening the look of the foot a little bit, but kind of a moot point when some folks can literally fit both feet in one of your shoes.

Shirts and pants, though, are a bit of a nightmare. Big and tall stores typically cater to the big or the big *and* tall... us tall folk tend to get left by the wayside a little. I can usually forget decent jeans, and even slacks are tough to find long enough (christ, I have too many pleated slacks). A shirt that fits in the shoulders, *and* has long enough sleeves? Now that I actually know a thing or two about shopping for clothes that actually fit, it's a bit harder.

Honestly though? MTM starts to look like a better and better option for the non-standard-sized folks.

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds makes bigger sizes in some of their shoes. Also try Nordstrom Rack they carry big sizes in shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads