• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Istante

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK -
I'm wearing a tie today who's label says "Istante, Made in Italy." However, on the background of the label, "Versace" is printed over and over in small type.
The tie was a gift that I received about 7-8 years ago, so I've always been curious. Is this actually a Versace tie or another line that he designed or had something to do with?
BTW - The tie is a small blue & red checkerboard pattern with gold leaf (sort of fleur de lis or some other plume looking) type patterns on top.
Just curious,
Bradford

naturlaut

Reaction score
Mr. Bradford,

Before my immersion into the Sartorial world, Versace was my 'family' store.  I would literally get everything from versace from suits to shoes to umbrellas to bathrobes to bedsheets to tablewares.  While I still maintain that Gianni was quite a creative genius, I have stopped shopping for clothes at Versace for a long time (also because I have aged...), except for their silk shirts every year.  I was at the opening of the Fifth Avenue store and met Gianni himself.  Other than my annual silk shirt purchases, my last big Versace purchase was a coat from '97 winter which was the last work of Gianni.

Istante was a line established in the early 90s.  At that time, there was the Gianni Versace, the Versus, and the Jeans Couture; and the Istante line was what is now Versace Classic --- except that it was made in the same factory as Gianni (the Classic now made somewhere else).  They priced the Istante line about 10% to 15% less than the Gianni line, with Zeus as the icon instead of Medusa.  It was a huge line, and there were dedicated Istante boutiques.  I would rate the quality on par with the Gianni, and better than the then Versus (which was done by Donatella).

A few years ago, they realized that the label was creating too much of a confusion (as well as a shortage of manpower after Gianni passed), and with the emergence of the V2 line, they stopped producing under the Istante label completely.  If my memory serves me right, the last Istante was some time around 1998/99.  

In my opinion, Versace's (and Istante's) silk shirts are quite beautiful in their design.  In terms of quality, different kinds of Italian silk were used through the years, and the construction is getting better.  However, in all fairness, I do not like the silk shirt of the current season, thus I haven't made any purchases at all this year.  My favourite silk shirts are still the ones back in the 90s, when every shirt was drawn (designed) by Gianni --- and they were much more expensive too: over US$1200 in those days, while they cost only about US$800 now.  

Without looking at your tie, it's difficult to date it.  If you want some scans from Istante catalogs email me.

Hope it helps.

Naturlaut

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As Naturlaut said Istante was a line of Versace that is not produced anymore. By the way have you seen the Stefano Ricci silk shirts? They have a Ricci store in Shanghai's Ritz that is rather nicely stocked.

Also how do you acquire Versace's annual catalogues? I have bought several items from them but my subscription seems to end in an illogical manner.

naturlaut

Reaction score
By the way have you seen the Stefano Ricci silk shirts? They have a Ricci store in Shanghai's Ritz that is rather nicely stocked.
I love the Ricci store in Shanghai. I was close to buying something that day if not because I expected to be out till late night. They offered a wardrobe building service, did they tell you that? There are a few 'levels', one of them was actually building a physical wardrobe for you at your residence with about 10 suits, 20 shirts, etc. (all custom). It costs over $6.2 million RMB (approx. US$750,000). They also have some beautiful silk shirts, but the designs are a little too old for my taste. I think I took a picture of it too, if I find it I will certain post it up.

Regarding the catalogues, did you leave them your address?

Naturlaut

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes the Shanghai Ricci boutique is very lovely. Their ties are quite exquisite. Actually I did not know that they offered a wardrobe service. I seem to remember Bijan gave that service too. And yes their designs are somewhat more mature as compared to Versace or the newly hip Alfred Dunhill. Did you also ever go to the Versace store at the Dickson center?

There are also some newly opened luxury shopping arcades in Shanghai of which have the Tod's, S.T. Dupont, Loewe, Fendi, and etc. boutiques. And I might add that there is a Cerruti 1881 store at the Ritz too.

As to Versace I did leave them my address at the store. Might you have a contact of some sorts? Thank you.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Naturlaut - Thank you for the explanation of the Istante label. I'm glad to finally have some understanding of where my tie is from. I've wondered for many years, so I'm grateful that we have people like you and a place like the Style Forum so that I can finally get my curiosity satisfied
biggrin.gif
Bradford P.S. Don't lose any sunglasses today.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naturlaut
I love the Ricci store in Shanghai. I was close to buying something that day if not because I expected to be out till late night. They offered a wardrobe building service, did they tell you that? There are a few 'levels', one of them was actually building a physical wardrobe for you at your residence with about 10 suits, 20 shirts, etc. (all custom). It costs over $6.2 million RMB (approx. US$750,000). They also have some beautiful silk shirts, but the designs are a little too old for my taste. I think I took a picture of it too, if I find it I will certain post it up.

Regarding the catalogues, did you leave them your address?

Naturlaut

Naturlaut: Are you familiar with the RJ silk shirts? You might like the designs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads