• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Istanbul - where to eat, drink, and, most importantly, where and what to buy?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to head out to Istanbul for the first time... Staying near the Blue Mosque.

So... first time there, with a couple of friends and baby, where should we eat, what should we do, and what should we buy?

Should I buy a rug? And if so, where from?
I've heard high quality leather is a good deal anecdotally, but I have no idea if that is true.
Anywhere we can go hang out? Remember we will have a 1 year old with us....

Thanks!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This woman has very nice rugs: http://www.gunescarpet.com/

If you've never been to one, go to this hamman near the Blue Mosque: http://www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/
Buy a scrub glove in the bazaar for 1eu before.

Also go to the roman cistern near the Sophia. For that matter, go to the Sophia.

Drink as much pomegranate juice on the street as you can.

lefty

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let me get back to you. but you'll have a blast.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big +1 about the pomegranate juice.

You must eat at Ciya Sofrasi (Günesli Bahçesi Sok. 43-44, in the Kadiköy section of the city on the Asian side of the Bosphorus). It is absolutely amazing.

GreenNYC

Reaction score
They just renovated the hamman across from the Aya Sofia.....its beautiful and I highly recommend. If you can spare a day fly to Capadoccia.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Timely thread for me as I just booked a flight to Istanbul. I've never been, and am looking forward to going. This thread will be helpful.

demirgonulal

Reaction score
Istanbul is the best place to taste nearly all tastes from around Turkey. It is like the capital of dining. I have several favorite restaurants. I will try to list a few of them: For a great Waffle, you should visit Ab'bas in Bebek. One of the best places for a traditional pastry is Hunkar Borekcisi in Sariyer. My favorite Semolina Dessert is at Sur Ocakbasi in Fatih. You can search for these restaurants in Internet or you can visit this link for contact details: www.neyesek.co/#!istanbul-all/c15nc

demirgonulal

Reaction score
Istanbul is the best place to taste nearly all tastes from around Turkey. It is like the capital of dining. I have several favorite restaurants. I will try to list a few of them: For a great Waffle, you should visit Ab'bas in Bebek. One of the best places for a traditional pastry is Hunkar Borekcisi in Sariyer. My favorite Semolina Dessert is at Sur Ocakbasi in Fatih. You can search for these restaurants in Internet or you can visit this link for contact details: www.neyesek.co/#!istanbul-all/c15nc

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.