• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

istanbul help

collingsnyc

Reaction score
Any must-see spots in istanbul for high-quality shoes, leather goods, other men's clothing?

PITAronin

Reaction score
And if anyone responding to this thread could expand their response to possibly include womenswear as well it would be appreciated. (My daughter and I are planning to visit Istanbul later in the fall.)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
really, the grand bazar is as good a place as any to buy leather coats. I was there with my boss last year, and she bought 5 leather coats for about 100 bucks a piece. she can afford to buy very nice stuff, and she liked the quality well enough. I would say that they are at least as good as the coats you see for $500 in the states.

as for shoes - I am less sure about that. I have a friend who lives in Budapest, but has his shoes bespoke in Isbambul. but I am not sure that they are that great quality. as for clothing, there are tailors around, but I wouldn't bet on their quality.

I think that the best bet to buy would be leather coats.

demo5

Reaction score
In the Grand Bazar, go to Koc for leather goods. I picked up a very nice suede shirt there and their quality is excellent. The high-end department store is Vakko. They have some nice stuff, but it's relatively pricey since they are like a Neiman Marcus or Saks.

bryce330

Reaction score
I think they have a Harvey Nichols in Istanbul now as well.

haci79

Reaction score
Globetrotter,
Do you know where your friend gets bespoke shoes in Istanbul? I will be there for a few months, and would love to pickup some shoes.
I have had shirts an suits made in Turkey - the key thing is to allocate sufficient time to really explain what you want, show pictures, and keep re-explaining and fixing things at each fitting (sleeve length, etc.). My first suit turned out OK, but shirts took a couple of tries to get right (still not perfect).
Thanks

MedGuy28

Reaction score
There is Harvey Nichols in Kanyon mall but the prices are twice the prices in Harvey Nichols London.

http://www.kanyon.com.tr

Then you have Beymen shops which sell most things from Prada to Kiton. There is a big one in Akmerkez mall, which is in the same district as Kanyon (name of the district: Levent).

You can also check Vakko, the best Turkish brand. They have a big store in Kanyon. They have nice shirts, ties and socks especially.

A little bit further away, in Istinye district, there is the Istinye Park mall. There they have Etro, Paul Smith, D&G, Burberry, Dior etc.

For shoes, Turkish brands Matras and Hotic are good.

For clothes, you can also try Turkish brands such as Network/Fabrika and W.

I hope this helps.

Chow Chow

Reaction score
I have been to Istanbul many times on business and know that there are a number of long-established bespoke shoe makers, and that Istanbul was known at least at one time as a place where good bespoke shoes could be had. Unfortunately I do not recall the names. They are all near Istiklal, but none on it (Istiklal is a main shopping street). I had an article from 2003 that listed the remaining makers and if I can find it I will post the information on the forum. I could not tell much from walking by the one or two that have windows, and have not been a customer, so I cannot say anything about quality of work, materials, or styling.

I believe there are some good custom shirt makers, judging from what I have seen on business people I have dealt with, but there are probably a lot of mediocre ones as well. I don't know about suits.

Your best bet would be to contact the concierge at the Four Seasons or the Ciragan (Kempinski) for recommendations. Make clear you are not just looking for just any custom maker or for brands, but the very top level artisans who do only in custom work. Otherwise they are likely to suggest some regular retailer that may do some MTM work, and that will not likely be worth the trouble.

I would suggest you avoid shopping for major brands. It is the same stuff you can find elsewhere and for prices as high or higher. Vakko is indeed the best Turkish brand, but they are expensive and their strength, in my opinion, lies more in women's things. Their scarves in old Ottoman designs are particularly beautiful, and I made a point of going there to pick some up for my wife when I was in town.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one in their right mind calls Constantinople, in the alternative as Byzantium

Others still call it occupied East Greece

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads