• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with shoulder cuts on shirts, jackets, etc.

lupin23rd

Reaction score
Hey guys, First post so bear with me for a few minutes while I make an ass of myself
smile.gif
Over the last year or so I've tried on numerous shirts and jackets, and with a good size of them, I've noticed some issues with the shoulders, at least when attempting to make certain movements in them. When I try to raise my arms parallel to my shoulders, I've noticed some things that don't seem right but I'm not sure what to make of them. In some cases, I have a bit of material bunching up at the shoulders, which looks kind of funny but is not really too bad in most cases. This seems to be the issue with a couple dress shirts I tried. For some others it's just hard to raise my arms up to being parallel with my shoulders, I've noticed this with a few t-shirts by DSquared2 and Just Cavali that I liked. Moving up two sizes made the shirts obviously too big everywhere else, and the issue with the shoulders being cut too "early" was still there. (Bear in mind I'm not even 100% sure of terminology here) Lastly with a couple jackets, it's a little difficult to raise the arm although I can do it, however, the arm is not parallel to the shoulder - there is kind of a drop at the shoulder and then the arm sticks out. Most of the stuff I liked but felt too uncomfortable in to buy, or just went ahead and bought them anyway because I liked them so much. However I'd like to know whether this is simply an issue I'll have to live with or whether these shirts/jackets are simply the wrong size (I'm guessing too big) or wrong cut for my body type. I'm actually a pretty small guy so I don't see how I could be too big for those fitted t-shirts I don't seem to find comfortable, but whatever. Part of the reason I'm asking is I want to know whether I should be able to raise my arms up parallel to my shoulders with no visible issues or discomfort while wearing a suit jacket. At least I don't want my suit to look all messed up while drinking a cocktail at some fancy club while chatting up the ladies, eh?
biggrin.gif
Of course I've been told by a few people while trying some things on, why would you ever do that? Maybe it's just the fitted style of some of these things. Hopefully someone here can understand what I'm talking about despite my terminology and let me know whether I'm dealing with totally incorrect sizes or what not. Thanks, mike

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, this question deserves an answer, but i don't feel fully qualified to do it. but why should that stop me. regarding the shoulder-bunching, it's my understanding that a well-fitting jacket should feel comfortable and allow for a range of motion - i have heard someone say it should feel like a sweater. the key - if i understand correctly - is the way the sleeve attaches to the torso, the "arm's eye" i think is what it's called. armhole if you're more anglo-saxon like me. it appears that many RTW jackets are cut with an armhole that extends way too far down, thus causing the whole jacket to deform when the arm is raised more than just a few degrees. it should be fairly close-fitting around the wearer's armpit - just how close, i leave to the experts because that's the extent of my knowledge. hope that helps. /andrew ***edit: PS - welcome to the forum
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads