1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rebel222, Feb 19, 2011.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I did not. The Jermyn manager could not email me pictures of the shoes, and I quickly became frustrated with his computer illiteracy. I previously sent an email that discussed all of the issues, and I assumed, incorrectly, that he would ensure that everything on the list was addressed. We went back and forth over 3 days trying to send pictures to me. After 3 days, I became frustrated, so I did not go through everything that I should have. I did not specifically ask if ever issues was address, since there were only 3 issues: edge dressing, monkstrap issue, and toe taps.

2. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

any picture of the before and after shoes?

3. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

any picture of the before and after shoes?

I'll try to post some this evening.

4. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Ah, the old "I dont want to besmirch someone's reputation, but they did something to my shoes that would ruin their reputation if I told you about it, but I won't go into specifics." [​IMG]

Just kidding! I actually had the same problem with the email. I must have sent 10 emails but they were not receiving the pics for whatever reason. I finally just .pdf'd my questions and photos to him in black and white so EG could at least confirm that the shoes were old EGs. I dont think they ever actually received the attached email photos.

5. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

My issue was reverse. They were trying to send me pictures of the shoes to ensure I was satisfied. I think they were sending huge image files that were over what my work server allowed. I then sent over my personal gmail address, still no pictures. They couldn't properly send the pics, so I gave up.

6. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

In this day and age, it is absolutely insane that a company like EG hasn't figured out how to send and receive email attachments.

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

I would disclose the issue with the monks so that others are forewarned and can take more precautionary measures when sending shoes to them for a recraft.

Personally, I feel if it's truth, it's truth. I love their product to death but would let others know in a factual manner what I experienced so they will be in the know, especially after my years of praising EG.

8. rsuhandy

rsuhandy Senior member

^

I agree with you...but to play devils advocate, wasn't there a 15+ page thread about how some guy
    had an experience at B. Nelson which included a long debate about
    why you should let the party at fault fix things and keep things
    quite if they do....just sayin [​IMG]

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

170-200 gbp plus shipping plus potential UPS tomfoolery for a recraft? Almost worth it just to buy new EG's on sale, assuming the usual sale sources never dry up

10. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I would disclose the issue with the monks so that others are forewarned and can take more precautionary measures when sending shoes to them for a recraft. Personally, I feel if it's truth, it's truth. I love their product to death but would let others know in a factual manner what I experienced so they will be in the know, especially after my years of praising EG.
    ^ I agree with you...but to play devils advocate, wasn't there a 15+ page thread about how some guy had an experience at B. Nelson which included a long debate about why you should let the party at fault fix things and keep things quite if they do....just sayin [​IMG]
    I went back and forth on this issue based on these two trains of thought. The edge dressing issue was just careless oversight not affecting the functionality of the shoes. The primary reason that I started this thread was to see if the edge dressing was something I should make an issue out of. The other problem, well, let's just say that I have no doubt that anyone here would have raised the issue.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

I went back and forth on this issue based on these two trains of thought. The edge dressing issue was just careless oversight not affecting the functionality of the shoes. The primary reason that I started this thread was to see if the edge dressing was something I should make an issue out of.

The other problem, well, let's just say that I have no doubt that anyone here would have raised the issue.

dont be coy. please let us know what happened with the monk straps.

and photos please

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Actually, it was about a month or so ago. I just got the previously mentioned UPS customs bill, too. Are you saying I paid more than everyone else has to pay? That really sucks! What did I do to them?
    Does that show 214 pounds? I think that's $350 today.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

The primary reason that I started this thread was to see if the edge dressing was something I should make an issue out of.

all the hassle because of the edge dressing, no?

14. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

I would disclose the issue with the monks so that others are forewarned and can take more precautionary measures when sending shoes to them for a recraft.

Personally, I feel if it's truth, it's truth. I love their product to death but would let others know in a factual manner what I experienced so they will be in the know, especially after my years of praising EG.

+1

Agree on this approach. Broadly speaking whilst the issue is 'live' I would of course be sensitive to the Company's position.

However if they repeatedly provide a frustratingly inept service or adopt a defensive/'blame the customer' approach which is both un-necessary & inflammatory, I think they deserve some negative exposure. It's the only way they will learn to value their customers and rectify mistakes in their deficient level of service.

I think part of being a gentleman is to uphold a principle of fairness and it simply isn't reasonable or fair for companies to cock up and not take their share of responsibility.

Looking at this objectively it's perfectly proper to factually account your experience here, so that others may learn. How much detail you go into depends on how much of a gentleman you are...

15. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

It's the only way they will learn to value their customers and rectify mistakes in their deficient level of service.

When EG made a couple of errors on my repair order they not only rectified the mistakes, they were extremely gracious in making amends, without in any way being asked.

I came away a more loyal customer than I had been before.

I can't speak of them highly enough.

16. Northampton Novice

When EG made a couple of errors on my repair order they not only rectified the mistakes, they were extremely gracious in making amends, without in any way being asked.

Thus what you have chosen to quote from my post would not apply due to the preceding text which you omitted and deals with a situation such as yours...

It's not that this is about EG only it could be about any company.

17. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

My point, which I may not have made in the best way, is that I believe EG does value its customers. I have never been treated with such consideration by any firm. And if they mess up from time to time, as we all do, they might not deserve to be considered as lacking, in any comprehensive way. Hence my counterbalancing statement.

18. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

then you're a better man than me...

19. Northampton Novice

My point, which I may not have made in the best way, is that I believe EG does value its customers. I have never been treated with such consideration by any firm. And if they mess up from time to time, as we all do, they might not deserve to be considered as lacking, in any comprehensive way. Hence my counterbalancing statement.

Given your personal experience which you have briefly outlined, I can appreciate your stance on this. But the bigger picture through anecdotes and taking a more objective, rather than subjective view suggests that a) They don't just mess up from time to time it's arguably more frequent than that and b) When they do mess up it's at best an inconsistent reaction from them, in your case great but in others posted here it's been poor.

EG produce what they call 'The finest shoes in England' they promote all aspects of their business to be par excellence. So to be fair, when they mess up, it is a big deal - they set their own bar high.

My own personal experience with EG has been reasonable on the whole, much better than my experience with other high end producers like Berluti & Vass. But in fairness to Vass they are more artisan than business venture and my problems stemmed from language translation issues a few years back & everything was eventually resolved to my satisfaction.

20. onix

onix Senior member

[..]When they do mess up it's at best an inconsistent reaction from them, in your case great but in others posted here it's been poor.[..]

From what I have read so far in this thread, EG's actions to rectify the problems seem to be quite good when they made mistakes. Even in the case of OP, everything seems to work out reasonable well enough. Am I missing something?