• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Cad & the Dandy - looking for advice

ErikK

Reaction score
I recently had a suit commissioned by Cad and the Dandy when their chief cutter came through my city. When it came back, it had the wrong pockets (I'd ordered straight cut but they put slanted pockets on it, which don't fit with my work environment and aren't my style anyway). I emailed their operations manager about sending it back to have them fixed but they are being very difficult about it, telling me that is just what they do on any suit looking for a tailored fit and are trying to just have me meet with the cutter again the next time he's in town so he can "see the suit" on me.

I felt it was fairly patronizing and anticipate them trying to tell me once they "see it on me" that that was the look I asked for even if I didn't ask for it. What's the protocol here? If I'm paying $1,500 for a suit, I expect the tailor to stand behind the work and fix any mistakes. It's not even a mistake that would keep me from doing business with them again because other than that I like the work (though the difficulty in fixing it could).

Balfour

Reaction score
I'm always surprised by the number of stories about bespoke tailors getting things wrong. I've been very fortunate, but it does seem to happen quite frequently. (An explanation I once heard was that as tailoring houses send work out to be completed by a wide range of coat and trouser makers, the scope for miscommunication is magnified.)

I'm not familiar with C&TD, and the reviews seem to have been mixed (including some that have been very positive, usually when people have been measured in person - I can see why their 'online MTM' may have resulted in disappointment, given customers' inability to measure themselves).

I think it depends on how clear you were in your instructions, how big the mistake is for you and whether you want to work with the tailor again. For me, slanting pockets on a business suit would be a major mistake for the reason you give (I dislike the look, and have flat jetted pockets on all lounge suits for business).

If you were clear in your instructions and the issue is a big deal for you, I would push back strongly over something like this. Ex hypothesi the issue is not 'how the suit looks on you', but that you have not received that which you ordered and that which you wanted. This isn't a little thing like getting internal pocket configuration wrong.

P.S. I'm not sure what is meant by 'tailored fit', or whether you asked for a particular style which they thought was at variance with your request on pockets. But if you were sufficiently clear about your request, they should obviously have confirmed with you the position had they had concerns it did not fit the aesthetic of the suit.

Last edited:

ErikK

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am inclined to agree. Just to be clear, this was an in-person measuring, not an internet order.

Balfour

Reaction score
I'm assuming this wasn't 'proper bespoke' (i.e. you didn't have a basted fitting, where this issue could have been sorted out)? Would you want to work with them again if they sort this out for you?

BTW, I think they peruse the forums, so you might get a response (I think the user is "sleats").

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Was it Jon DeBoise who measured you?

ErikK

Reaction score
Yes it was MTM, not proper bespoke, so there was no basted fitting where this could have been addressed. I do like the work on the jacket overall and would work with them again if they can sort this out. (I'm going back and forth with them over email).

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Usually there are no pockets at the basted fitting anyway, so that might not have helped anything.

I'll be interested to see what happens. Clients and tailors both seem to vary a lot in how they deal with these things. I think you'll make the most progress by explaining to them that you are very satisfied with the rest of the suit, but really dislike this detail (assuming that is the case), and that you hope this can be resolved fully so that you can order with confidence from them in the future. Even if you're understandably upset with them screwing up and then being patronizing about it, there's nothing to be gained from throwing a fit about it, and it will end the relationship going forward. Be polite and respectful, but firm. It is an obvious and noticeable aspect of the suit, so you're within your rights to expect it done as you asked.

Balfour

Reaction score
Of course not, but I think the key point with an issue like this is how much communication there was between the two parties. The basted fitting obviously provides an opportunity to clarify the commission, explain precisely preferences for placement, etc., etc. I'm not trying to make excuses for C&tD as something appears (on the basis of the OP's account) to have gone seriously awry, but I can see a big difference between a hasty MTM measuring session and something closer to bespoke. That was why I took pains to emphasise that my advice was conditional on the instructions being clear. With a single session I'd make sure my instructions were in writing.

Macallan

Reaction score
I have had two jackets from them: i. suit jacket - straight pockets and ii. tweed jacket - slanted pockets with ticket pocket. Both jackets were made how I requested.

They seem open-minded, so their response about the pockets is very surprising. Whatever product or method you selected should not matter, if you asked for straight pockets, they should have made straights pockets. If it was a sports jacket, I would ask for a discount and maybe even on a non-work suit; however, on a formal or work suit, I would want it corrected.

ErikK

Reaction score
Just wanted to update that I spoke with their operations manager on the phone and they offered to fix it and give a discount on a future suit. So it looks like it will be all cleared up. Mistakes happen, it's how they are handled that counts in my book. Thanks for the advice.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, be clear it cannot "be fixed" other than with a remake of a substantial part of the garment - and how satisfactory that sort of cut and carve will ne I am not sure. I would suggest that you make sure that it is a full remake and perhaps mark the garment in some subtle way to check when it comes back. Alternately refuse to return the original until you have the replacement.

What about involving your credit card supplier as well?

Sleats

Reaction score

Well, be clear it cannot "be fixed" other than with a remake of a substantial part of the garment - and how satisfactory that sort of cut and carve will ne I am not sure. I would suggest that you make sure that it is a full remake and perhaps mark the garment in some subtle way to check when it comes back. Alternately refuse to return the original until you have the replacement.

Sorry for jumping on the post. Trying not to get involved in posts re Cad or Wildsmith so people can let the thread go where it goes.

However perhaps the above is a little over the top GBR - we are not trying to dupe anyone but put right a style error. Building a relationship with a tailor and a tailor with a customer requires a level of understanding that if one says they will put it right that will be done. We are not a faceless highstreet chain where issues and complaints get lost we try and put right any issues in a professional and efficient manner. Our business like all tailors is generated by repeat and referral business if we fail in not honouring these things we would get our marching orders. Style errors are rare but as we are all humans they do happen, as with all tailors. We would never not offer to make amends. I am sorry that in this instance that Erik, got the wrong style of pockets but putting it right is not an issue, other than taking a week or two as we have to get it back to London. In normal instances this jacket would not have ever left our shop but as Erik is based in NY and did not want to wait to our next trip stateside we sent the suit to him directly, not allowing us the time to do a fitting. That being said I believe Erik is happy with the suit and is meeting with John again in New York. We have apologised to Erik and offered him compensation on a future purchase.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is exactly the kind of confrontational BS I recommended the OP avoid.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GBR said:

"perhaps mark the garment in some subtle way "
-great advice... if you're a little girl.

Tear that ish up so they HAVE to make you a new one.

Run it through a paper shredder and send them back a box of urine soaked cloth scraps.

No one. I repeat- NO. ONE. can beat me in an internet toughguy contest.

GBR, bring a sweatband, a case of Redbull and some creatine powder and stop by my place sometime. I'll show you how it's done.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics